Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What can you tell me about these Kauai boat tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Suzie

Going to Kauai in 3 1/2 weeks, (yippee, but I digress). Since we were complete dopes when we went there on our Honeymoon we are hoping to catch up on seeing the great sights of Kauai this time. I'm torn over which snorkling tour to take, Holoholo, Kauai Sea Tours, or Blue Water, which uses the rigid hull craft for a faster ride up the coast. Since you can no longer depart from the north, you see less of the coast in order to get back to the marina. Does anyone have any opinion about these tour companies or another choice that might be better?

Thanks for any help.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Sloane

I was just on the North Shore of Kauai for 1 week and found 3 crafts leaving from through one agency I visited in the town of Hanalei. I did not bother to find additional info as I have used this agency in the past. I also saw and office office for a Zodiac tour. Guests with me went on the small craft tour that accommodated 21 people I hate to say I forget the name. They were in a mixed group this was not a private charter. There is a UFO (name) boat that takes up to 15 passengers and there is still the a Catamaran run by Captain Sundown, I did this boat last summer and it along with the others mentioned still leaves from Hanalei. Whoever is posting that boats are not going out of North Shore is either misinformed or a competitor. I hate to see this small business suffer from this confusion.

I Like the smaller boats because they weave in and out of boats. The catamaran was nice because you are sailing and there is something very charming about sailing. The boat does not bounce as much and you are moving with the wind. If you are already on the West side, I would explore the eco tours option as I think they will have a science focus, but that is an assumption. Good Luck

I would not go to the west side just for a boat tour. You would want to go for Waimea Canyon or Alakai Swamp hike it is an exhausting drive when you are vacationing. I thought before this trip what is 2 hours from the North Shore I would do twice that and then ski for a day at home. But you watch you will switch on to Hawaiian time quicker than you expect. Relax book tour 2-3 days before you want to take. If you are not there in peak season you will not have a problem with availability. This summer and last I booked my trip 2 days before departure without a hitch.

Best Snorkeling we had was on Kokee beach tons of turtles and absolutely mind blowing landscape. We also liked tunnels but found it too rocky for our novice children.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Sloane

I Like the smaller boats because they weave in and out of caves not other boats you will be isolated on any boat leaving from the North Shore. This was my experience anyway.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Lisa

We went years ago and did a sail with Cpt Andy's catamaran. We saw tons of dolphins. It was great. It is the sail trip we still use as our standard. They left from the south west. We stayed in the South so this was not a problem. We did swim with some fish but are not divers. We did not go into the caves

Lisa

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Laurie

Just in Kauai this past June. Did the blue Dolphin sunset Napali cruise. I liked it because it's a larger boat than the catamaran which is more enjoyable to use. I found the bathrooms on catamarans to be way too small! It left from the south side. Even though we stayed up north it was definitely worth the drive.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Suzie

Thanks for all your answers. It was just what I was looking for. Sloane, I too prefer sailing over other modes but was concerned about how much we'd see if we sailed from Port Allen. Thanks for the heads up about the availablity of departures from the north shore. I'd really like to leave from there even if we are staying in Poipu. That 2 hour drive hting could be a drag on vacation. I know what you mean when you think "no problem" to a long drive before you get there. Thanks for the info on snorkling too!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Sloane

I have always heard good response from fellow travlers that got on the boat in Port Allen. If you are staying Poipu I strongly recommend a few hikes in Kokee. (That was Kakee beach at the foot of the NaPali trail mentioned in last post.)

Kokee State Park will be your closest look at some of the most outstanding beauty on the island.

Alakai Swamp is a pretty hike but in order to see the birds you need to be very still and sit in one or more areas for about 15-20 minutes. It is a fairly easy hike because so much of it is coverered by boardwalk. Our guidebook told us to expect mudd and it did rain on the north shore that week, we did not see any mud. There are some steap steps along the way which can get in the way if you are as one our guests was "out of shape". I am 40 fairly healthy and I had no trouble. The kids with us also only had trouble being quiet for the birds, UGH!!!

I would also look into Wamea Canyon hikes, you don't need to do this there are lookouts but I think it would add to vacation.

We used the Ultimate Guide to Kauai written by local residents with opinions rather than commercial suggestions. KoKee State park will also send you a guide to trails and can even lead to guides. The trail guide brochure they send you tells you if hike are easy or strenous.

Last, I would buy a mask and fin at home and take it with me for snorkeling. If you have not been before be advised that fit and quality will impact experience. I did this and was assured a good fit with no leakage or fog up. It was so handy we used on just about every beach. The kids with us found Sting Rays on the very busy beach of Lanikai on Oahu. Hiking boots were also useful and don't expect them to look pretty even half way into the trip a snag I had with my sister.

One last point a four wheel drive is needed to shave off some time from Alakai swamp and most likely other hikes.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Suzie

Thanks for the hiking info. We plan to spend much of our time snorkling and hiking, as the kidlets will be at home and we will be there without "whine"!

I cracked up about bringing our own snorkle gear. Noticed the big bags in my room the other day contained new snorkle gear. Husband has a germ problem and balked as using someone else's snorkle. I'll suggest we test them in the pool before we leave to check for fit.

I'm printing your hike suggestions. Got the ultimate Kauai book back in April when I first found this travel board. The travelers here have been so helpful in providing good advice.

BTW Waimea Canyon was one of the only things we actually did see on our Honeymoon a million years ago. We also drove around the island and saw some really great beaches that were deserted. Something we had no appreciation for at that time. My how times change!! Looking for peace and quiet just around the corner!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Sloane

...don't forget to email kokee park for that little brochure. You can find them on the web. We ordered the brochure but did not look at until after hike we were sorry.
Have a great time!!!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Tammy

Sloane:

I was wondering if you could tell me more about your trip with Captian Sundown. We are going in May and I am leaning towards them because they depart from the North Shore and seem to be a charming outfit. Did you see dolphons? Did they go onto caves? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!