Reload this Page >

What area in Palm Springs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:03 PM
ingrid

I've been studying guide books but still can't figure out what would be the best place for us to stay in April: PD, PS, La Quinta, etc.??? Looking for a condo for 2 adults, 2 kids (10 and 12) in a resort that has tennis, nice pools, and views plus easy access to outdoor activities (i.e. not "downtown"; we don't need shopping and night life) and isn't too expensive. I found lots of rentals that look nice but have no clue what area to look for.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:40 PM
PS Local

ingrid:

I would be glad to see if I can help you. Can you tell me more about the rentals you have found that look attractive to you?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:28 AM
ingrid

Here is a (partial) list:
Ironwood COuntry Club, PD
Ironwood
Desert Princess
Deauville
Canyon Heights, PS
Sunkist Condo, PS
Greenhouse East, PS
Cathedral Springs, CC
Rancho La Paz

This doesn't even include the hotel-type resorts. Quite honeslyl, I'm lost. Thanks for your help!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Amy

I used to live in Riverside County. You want to stay away from Cathedral City and Palm Springs based on what you are looking for.Near Palm Desert is an animal park( Ican't remeber the name) and also a water park which is fun for the kids. Unless the museum in Palm Springs has improved skip it. The ride on the Tram is really fun. Take a picnic and hike around at the top. You may see snow at the top in April.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:04 PM
ingrid

Thanks for the advice. What's wrong with CC and PS?

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:20 PM
PSLocal

There's nothing wrong with PS or CC. In fact, the water park that was mentioned is located on the border of PS & CC. CC tends to be a little more gay oriented than other desert communities. PS has plenty of the gay clientle, but it's got a nice downtown area that is popular with all age ranges and sexual orientations.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:38 PM
Emily

We stay in Rancho Mirage and love it. We stay at the Rancho Las Palmas. There is small shopping & dining area called The River directly across the street. Have a wonderful visit.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:18 AM
Steve

Just stick with the NICEST accommodations you can afford in either Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells or La Quinta. Cathedral City is actually the LEAST desirable location because, quite frankly, it is an EYESORE, period, no matter what anybody tells you!! As mentioned above, the Rancho Las Palmas (a Marriott, I believe) would be a very good choice in Rancho Mirage, assuming a condo is offered. Another terrific property in Rancho Mirage would be the Westin Mission Hills but I don't think they offer condo accommodations. I could be wrong, but if they do, this would be my Number One choice for you since you have children! (Las Palmas would be No. 2).

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Steve

I just went back to look at your list and I noticed the Desert Princess. Is this the Marriott Desert Princess in Palm Desert? If so, this would also be an excellent choice, again, especially if you have kids. This is a very large, elaborate property such that you would see in Hawaii. So, once again, I would choose from among these three, in this particular order, any of which would be just fine:

1. Marriott Desert Princess
2. Westin Mission Hills
3. Mariott Las Palmas

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Donna

If you are looking for a reasonable place-NOT fancy by any means-that caters to tennis, try the Shadow Mountain resort in Palm Desert. They have studios up to 3 bedroom condos, and have about 20 tennis courts or so. They have a big pool, but no slides or anything like that. You can walk to the main shopping/restaurant area in Palm Desert which is El Paseo Drive. We stayed there 2 years in a row during April Easter Spring Break. My kids met a lot of other kids and enjoyed it. The big Marriott is certainly deluxe, but very pricy.Do an internet search on them, this might be what you are looking for.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:22 AM
ingrid

Great, thank you for your suggestions. Yes, I think it was the Marriott Desert Princess, and thanks for the Shadow Mountain resort advice. I'll check it out.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 02:45 PM
ingrid

Correction: It's the Desert Princess in CC. Also, any opinions on Doral Resort?