Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are we missing in Colorado? Help for a creative overnight, prior to late Denver flight out?

Search

What are we missing in Colorado? Help for a creative overnight, prior to late Denver flight out?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted an itinerary the other day,
when I was pretty sure we'd be flying into Denver & out of Grand Junction. Now, it looks like we found a too good to pass up fare to Denver RT. My brother lives in Ridgway...at least 6 hrs from Denver airport. So my hubby doesn't risk leaving the whole drive from Ridgway (near Montrose & Ouray) for the day of our flight.

Our flight would not be until almost 9pm, but figure we better get to such a big airport by 7pm, probably? Will have a car rental to deal with. Plus, it will be a Monday, so not sure if much rush hour traffic or not.

Current plan follows. Plz help us w/suggestions on what we might be missing & what you'd be sure to still include, as we WILL have one final night to spend on the road somewhere btwn Ridgway (SW CO) & Denver. Thanks so much!

Arrive Denver Friday...stay maybe Boulder (10pm arrival into Denver) Next day, explore Rocky Mtn Park w/hikes...stay Estes Park. (Saturday)

Sunday, drive through RMNP...maybe take 4 hrs to see or so. Then, on to Aspen area. Think it might be tough to reach Aspen so might stay in a place like Frisco tonight or Leadville? (altitidue would be tough, however!)

Monday, take Independence Pass (while fresh still) over to Aspen. Picnic along the way. Arrive Aspen late afternoon...and see town or whatever is recommended...any short hikes?

Then, up early Tuesday, for Maroon Bells at dawn & maybe a 2-4 hr hike, if anyone has a fave one there! By mid-afternoon, leave for Ridgway. (if it's reachable) If it's not reachable stay somewhere along the way...maybe Redstone area? (ideally will reach brother in Ridgway so can have 2 nights at his place)

Wednesday, see sights near Ridgway/Ouray/or Montrose. Black Canyon? Ouray/Telluride?
Some pass? Stay Ridgway.

Thursday, explore more w/brother. If reached him by Tuesday, can now make way to Durango by day's end. (via Million Dollar Hwy)

Friday, see Mesa Verde all day & stay Far View Lodge? (Or stay there night before if that makes more sense for touring MV) If stayed at Far View Thursday night then stay Durango tonight.

Saturday, wrap up MV if needed, otherwise, make way up to Durango or from Durango TO Telluride. Maybe rendezvous w/brother there in the afternoon? Do late lunch. (trying to get some time w/him somewhere!) Saturday night, stay Ridgway

Sunday...final day to wrap up & see sights locally. Need to get on the way to SOMEWHRE! ;-) What have we missed? Where should we aim for, if don't want to leave area until mid-afternoon or so? And yet, would like to halve the drive to Denver for flight that leaves Monday evening? Any obvious choices?

NOT so obvious ones? Gems that you love, but we are missing thus far, & could include w/an overnight & maybe half day on Monday that could be spent there?

We're open to driving back along any road...
we *did* see Pike's Peak yrs ago, not sure that's a big interest of mine, but we're open for anything! Also, if road nice back to Denver FROM Durango (eastward), could shift days a bit to do Mesa Verde one day later. (spend more time w/brother midweek) Thanks so very much Colorado Board contributors!! You're the BEST!!!
(and Ps. brother is a recent transplant so that's why I'm not plugging *him* for this info) ;-)
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Oops! Meant to write:
my hubby doesn't WANT to risk leaving full drive back from Ridgway for the day we fly out of Denver. Could be so many variables from weather to construction delays to traffic!
So, that's why we're seeking some fun idea for that final night, so that it doesn't become just a 'grind' or mere obligation to get back to the Denver Airport.

Would instead like it to become part of the 'adventure.' LOVE fall colors, too, so if any fave routes for those, as late as October 8th...send 'em our way! Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM

While staying the night before your flight home in the Denver vicinity and then doing something the day of the flight in/around Denver is fine; I truly cannot imagine any kind of delay on Monday that would not allow you to get to DIA by 7pm. That way you could spend all of Sunday in Ridgway area with brother. Just my 2 cents...
Debi
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

If leaving whole drive to Denver
for day of departure, which way
is the 'safest' most dependable route
from Ridgway to the Denver airport?

Coming down, we're meandering through the mtns, so wondering is I-70 really the quickest way back?

Will think about some more...helps to know that you wouldn't hesitate to do all on one day, Debi!

But if anyone *does* have a fave overnight spot, still open to that, too! (or for altering earlier plans to include some gem we missed)
Will see if brother even available that whole Sunday. Thanks again!!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:15 PM

You can go up to Grand Junction and get on I70 and head east. This is another way to go that might work for you:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3x3mjf

Debi
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Sorry that link doesn't work. Let's see if this one does

http://tinyurl.com/yta4nr

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Debi!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 03:53 AM

I can't really comment on where to stop off. BUT I will say that at any given time the security maze at Denver can be completely full. We allow 2 full hours to arrive at the maze and get to our gate. And sometimes it has been exactly what we needed.
The car rental agencies are away from the terminal and at that time of night I suspect there are not the buses to and from the terminal as often.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM

How about staying near a ski area that has some summer activity? I have heard of a place that will take you up the mountain with a bike and you get to ride down. Perhaps one of the places has a cement trough type thing that you go down on a sled type device.

Too much excitement? How about a tour of the mint in Denver and or tour the Coors factory in Golden?