Reload this Page >

What are the mozzies doing now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 05:22 AM
Esme

Can anyone tell me what the Central Park mozzies are up to now? Will we be safe in October - hopefully they should be dying a natural death by then - or do we need to wrap up in mysterious netting? Husband is getting twitchy about us coming over with dear daughter - especially as she hopes to ride through CP and/or carriage drive through. Have you all been attacked by these nasties yet or is the media making more of it to wind my hubby up.

Whilst I'm on are the Pokemon cards raging well out there - small son is a collector and he wants me to bring some back, hoping they'll be extra special from the US (I really need to go to Japan I think!)

Thanks Esme

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 05:32 AM
howard

Esme, you can relax about the mosquitos in October. They should be no problem then.
As for Pokemon, unless the fad does a rapid, rapid decline in the next couple months, you should have no problem finding the cards and other paraphernalia. Two sure places for finding them are in the Warner Brothers store on Fifth Avenue and Toys 'R Us next to Macy's.

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 04:07 PM
jenna

As Howard says, mosquitoes are not around much in Oct, however, even if they were, you have little to worry about. The West Nile virus is very seldom contracted during these "epidemics" and very very rare is the death rate.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 07:13 AM
Esme

Howard and Jenna - thank you for your rapid replies - hubby and son should be happy now - so will we as we enter the park.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 12:47 PM
jenna

Esme: An update. I just read an article from Audobon magazine (crows were the first infected with the virus, hence the bird magazine) that last year in the Queens area (where virtually all cases last year were found) 7 people died from WN virus, 6 were elderly and 1 was a baby, all with weakened immune systems in the first place, 55 were hospitalized and released, and 1500 were estimated to have contracted it. So obviously, since you'll be in Manhattan in October and none of you (presumably) have any immune system problems, you'll be more than safe.
Also, re Pokemon, the cards are on their way out here, but stores still have their shelves stocked w/merchandise, so finding cards should definitely not be a problem! (my brother and all his friends are always at the local card store, trying to get the owner to buy thier cards from them!)

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 03:49 PM
Ruth

The best source of current info re West Nile Virus in NYC is not "Audobon" but the NYC Dept. of Health at http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/doh/html/wnv/wnvhome.html.