Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are the chances for MV to Woods Hole on standby?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there usually a few spots open even though there are no available reservations left? If so, how much earlier do you suggest arriving at the ferry terminal to try our luck? Any advantages of trying at VH over OB?

Trying to take the Steamship Authority ferry back from Martha's Vineyard this Sunday and was surprised that most sailings were sold out for cars (I checked earlier and everything looked wide open). I booked a 7:30pm sailing but was hoping to return much earlier, around 3pm. I requested the "wait list" for all the sailings btwn that and the one that I booked. If the chances are slim to none that we will get on standby then I'd rather deal with getting into Boston very late rather than sitting at the ferry dock for 4.5 hrs. Just trying to get a feel for it...never been to MV before.

I know nobody "knows" and that every weekend is different, just posting to see if any locals have a general feel on this. Any input much appreciated!

Enjoy-la!
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 06:23 PM

You can check at the dock before your hoped for departure time, in the morning or early afternoon, and see if there's room. If not, I wouldn't wait around; I'd enjoy my remaining hours on MV and go about my business! MV isn't a bad place to be 'trapped'!
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Bowsprit, thx a mint for your reply. I did just that and it was extremely busy. I "saved" VH for last so we spent our time driving out to West Chop, wandering the town, and one more seafood meal before we caught the ferry.

We were waitlisted to the 7:15pm ferry and it ran late. I was told there were over 40 vehicles in the standby queue for it!

Enjoy-la!
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM

I was wait listed for first trip in am. I waited until 8 pm, but that was for the Tuesday after Labor Day several years ago. Now we go to Hamptons.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM

I hope that 7:15 time suited you! Where'd you eat?