What are Miami to Key West options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2011, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying to Miami in April and want to spend a few days in Key West. What's the best way to get there? Rent a car? Take a shuttle or bus?
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 06:52 AM

Renting a car works, of course, and will provide the most flexibility.

There's also a Greyhound bus that travels between the two cities. Key West's bus station is at the airport. Miami has two bus stations, one of which is located at the airport. If memory serves, there are two trips per day each way. It takes a while, but assuming it's light out when you travel, you can look at the scenery more easily than if you're driving. I found the scenery very interesting during a bus ride between the two cities, especially in the lower two-thirds of the keys.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 07:15 AM

Search on TripAdvisor Florida Keys. It is a very active board - you will find many suggestions there.

Someone on Fodor's clued me in to this last year, when I posted a Key West question, and I'm glad they did.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 04:34 PM

renting a car might be your cheapest bet. yet, its about a 4-5 hour drive from miami to key west. OR if you dont mind spending the money you could get a flight. Key west is great though!!! check out the ocean key resort.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:00 AM

There is a shuttle service you could consider: keyshuttle.com. If you google, you might also find other shuttle services. Assuming you want to leave straight from the airport, they pick you up and head out to the keys. It's a reasonable option if you don't want to drive and don't have too many people in your party (since you pay per person), but you have to be willing to work within their set schedule.

I had looked into it for a previous trip, but ultimately decided that for my purposes I wanted the flexibility of renting a car, and even ended up with a rate that beat the shuttle fare.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 05:53 AM
MJT

Rent a car and have the flexibility to stop along the way. While I love Key West, we live in Islamorada and think it's the best place in the Keys. Key Largo and Marathon are much alike, strip malls, fast food chains, etc. Islamorada is a village with great restaurants and views from most.
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 03:44 AM

Miami to Key West with 3-3.5 hrs with one stop along the way.