Search

Whale watching in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whale watching in Maui

Hi there-

We're going to Maui in December and are planning on doing a whale watching tour through Pacific Whale Foundation. I see on their website that they have tours throughout the day. Are certain times of the day better for spotting whales (i.e are early mornings better than the afternoon?)

Also, we have booked an Ocean view room at the Westin. What are the chances of actually being able to see whales from our lanai?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lynne

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen many whales from our lanai in Kihei, mostly in the afternoon.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 04:21 AM

Depends on what part of Dec. They usually begin arriving in Dec. So you don't have the numbers of say Feb/Mar. If they are there you can see from Westin. Binocs would be advised.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Pacific Whale Foundation is wonderful. They are so friendly and informative. I was so impressed by them that I joined their membership program. They do a lot with this money to help our beautiful ocean creatures, so to me it was $50.00 well spent. I just read the other day that 3 humpbacks were spotted in the waters off of Kaanapali. They were heading towards Lahaina, so they are in. You will be able to see them from the Westin, but the Binolcular suggestion is a great idea. I don't think one time of day is any better than another, but we like to do our whale watches in the morning. It gives us some wonderfully lingering thought for the rest of the day.

Have a wonderful time at the Westin, but remember it will be VERY busy there at that time of year. Be sure to go down to the Sheraton and look at the wonderful gingerbread house decorations that the local children make for Christmas. It's really a sight to behold.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

I thought the time between thansgiving and xmas was supposed to be quiet?.... Kids are still in school, and "peak" season doesn't start until the end of december. We'll be in Maui 12/1-12/7, fyi.

Lynne
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:41 AM

I always book the "wild dolphin & whale watch" trip with Pacific whale - the boat is the Manutea & it leaves from Lahaina Harbor instead of from Ma'alea which means its not as windy & therefore not as choppy a ride. I just read on Pacific Whale's site, that whales were spotted earlier this week, so you should definitely see some. I agree with bringing binoculars. One of my favorite early am things to do is have some breakfast on the lanei & watch for whales.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:00 AM

I am sorry. I just assumed that you were going at Christmas time. It will be nice and quiet at that time. I really hope you have a great time. We are going back in March, so we will get to see the whales also. Beleive it or not, we actually saw whales early last May. Pacific Whale guarantees that you will see whales and we did. It was early May and we saw a pod of six.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:14 AM

We saw many whales in the first week of March. We went on a snorkeling boat to Molokini and several baby humpbacks passed the boat. Where there are babies, there's sure to be a mama, so they stopped the boat and waited for her and as soon as we slowed down, she emerged from the water about 20 feet from the bow. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced. It was about 3pm. The boat was Lani Kai.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 08:32 PM
HG

Stayed in a timeshare in Kahana a couple of January's ago and saw many whales from our balcony, in fact many more than we ever saw from the key lookouts. I am no expert but we saw them at all times of the day. Take some good binoculars.