Search

Maui - Xmas 2003

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui - Xmas 2003

Good day! my 7yo daughter and i will be spending christmas in maui this year. we have rented a car and are staying in kaanapali. i have the maui revealed book that i'll check out during our flight and have already decided to visit the aquarium, haleakala and do hana. we are looking for great beaches, snorkeling, turtle sightings, etc. we want to do a whale-watching/snorkel/sunset boat trip and will probably want to book that in advance of our arrival. i think i'll pass on $$ luaus and maybe just a taste of that at one of the free shows this time. i'm looking for advice on best catamaran/sailboat tours, best beaches/coves/snorkel spots, amazing short hikes, etc. looking forward to hearing from you. thanks. susan
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 07:34 AM

Hi Susan,
We're heading to Maui for Christmas as well-I don't know about you, but I'm counting the days (12 for us...)
I would book esp. the whale watch tour ASAP-I just got around to it this week-we are going with the Pacific Whale Foundation-and did not get our first choices for trips.
We have to been to Maui once before in the summer and our favorite snorkeling spot was Honolua Bay (see pgs.2-3 in Maui Revealed) but I have read it may be too rough in the winter-we are keeping our fingers crossed.
Our favorite beach for swimming/lounging was Big Beach/Makena in South Maui (pg 167).
Last time, we went ocean rafting/snorkeling with Capt. Steve http://www.captainsteves.com/ and had a blast-he also does whale watching tours-depending on the waves this could be fun. If we do a second whale watch tour this time, we will go out with him.
Whatever you pick, I'm sure you'll have a great time!!
Happy Holidays, Laurie
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Just got back two weeks ago. There are several snorkle cruises that depart right from Kaanapali beach, Treilani and Gemini for sure. I would pass on Haleakala, we had horrible weather--65mph winds which in not uncommon in winter. The Kaanapali Beach Hotel has a free hula and music show at 6:00pm nightly. The snorkling at Black Rock (in front of the Sheraton) was great and it's free! Have a great time!
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 12:23 PM

We'll be in Maui too! hooray!! 13 days to go (yes we leave on Christmas Day). If you're staying in Kanaapali you are on one of the BEST beaches in the world! and last February we stayed in Kanaapali and watched the whales right from our condo window!! Seconds to the Black Rock recommendation! Have fun. We're trying Wailea this time.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

thank you all so much for the information! i think i will cross haleakala off the list and see that next time. glad to know the beach we're at is highly regarded! i'm looking forward to being in the veg mode for the first few days so lying on the beach and snorkeling/swimming right there sounds good to me!! we arrive on 12/20 through 28th ... hope you who are going at the same time have a terrific holiday vacation!! Susan
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:47 AM

I second the recommendation for the whale watching trip - it's the most amazing thing you will ever witness. I can't remember the name of the tour we went out on, but it picked up on the beach located at the Westin at Kaanapali. Also, just in case you want to treat yourself to a wonderful dinner while on Maui - I highly recommend Pacific O's (located on the beach) and Mamma's Fish House! ENjoy! I'm envious!
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 12:55 PM

How good of a swimmer is your daughter? Be careful snorkeling at Black Rock. There can be a pretty strong current that many have gotten caught in. There's a great beach just like 3 minutes from Kaanapali beach called Kahakili beach. Just take a left onto the highway as you leave Kaanapali Beach Parkway (going in the direction of Kapalua). The entrance to the beachpark will be on the left and there is a parking lot. There's also picnic benches, a grassy area, bathrooms, and a good beach for snorkeling (usually calm). This is also known and sometimes called Airport beach.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips. my daughter is a pretty good swimmer but mostly rivers, lakes and pools so we'll be sure to bring a pfd for her just in case. thanks for the tip on the restaurant too, but i think we'll keep it geared for the younger crowd this time. in tha regard, any fun, lively, on-the-beach kinda places where a kid would enjoy eating (me too...). thanks agains. 4 more days!! Susan
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:55 AM

In Lahaina there's Cheeseburger in Paradise and Kimo's, both on Front Street, have nice ocean views, and kid-friendly. On the mauka side of Front Street is BJ's Pizza and Moose McGillicuddys. Both are fun to sit by the railing and look down on the people on Front street. In Kaanapali, there's a restaurant (Hula Grill) that has a section called Barefoot Bar that is actually in the sand. If you happen to be in the north part of Kihei theres a Mexican restaurant called Margaritas. They have both indoor and outdoor seating. Friends and I go here a lot cause we can drink the margaritas out on the deck while the kids play right below us on the beach. Have a great time.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:43 PM

I'm totally with kolohegirl as far as Black Rock being too rough. We took our little ones to Kapalua Bay beach a few times to snorkel and my daughter(5 1/2 at the time) did amazing. It is fairly sheltered and shallow, with a nice variety of fish to see. the beach itself is picture postcard perfect. the entrance is a little tricky, there is public parking at the entrance to Napili Kai hotel and it can easily be missed. You can also see great Keiki Hula at the Lahaina Cannery Mall for free. They post schedules in the mall or ask your conceierge. We felt this was the best way for us because we weren't sure if my son(3)would actually be interested enough to sit through an expensive and long Luau. There is a fun mini-golf right where the Maui Ocean Center is located. It is a little far to drive to from Kaanapali just for it alone, but can make for fun after the Ocean Center. Have a great time!
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 07:55 PM

Aloha nosleepmom,

Ditto for being cautious at Black Rock... my DH & I had no problem, and enjoyed the turtles there, but our 10 yr old son struggled with the cool deep water, and tired after a short time...

I agree w/ Kapalua Bay for easier in & out, and less current.

Have a great time... Mele Kalikimaka!

Aloha!