Whale Watching Cruise in Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I am going on my first trip to Hawaii in the beginning of March 2006 for 5 nights and 6 days. I am going with my family and we are taking my grandmother with us. It is her first visit to Hawaii (she is almost 80 years old), and bringing my grandmother to Hawaii is the main purpose of our trip. I am her granddaughter and I'm doing the planning part of this trip.

We will be going to Oahu and staying in Waikiki. I have read most of the "Oahu Revealed" book. And I have been reading a lot of the forums here. I want to make sure that my grandmother sees a whale (or whales) during her stay in Oahu. I understand that these are the whale watching tours offered on Oahu: Navatek, Star of Honolulu(Paradise Cruises), North Shore Catamaran, Dream Cruises, Ko Olina Ocean Adventures, Ko Olina Cat(Hawaii Nautical), and Wild Side Specialty Tours. I am thinking that maybe the Navatek or North Shore Catamaran may be realistic choices, since my family (including me) is not good at waking up too early. Otherwise I would be considering the Wild Side Specialty Tours (they only have morning trips). I want to choose a cruise that I will more likely see whales with. And also one that offers a lunch time or afternoon cruise. Please tell me what your recommendations are, and whether you have been on any of the cruises listed above.

Since I've read a lot on these forums about how great the Pacific Whale Foundation is, I am also considering taking an interisland flight to Maui just for the whale watching with PWF. We booked our hotel in Waikiki already so we would have to be back from Maui on the same day. Do you feel it is worthwhile to do this? Will it really make the whale watching experience exceptional? Or is doing the whale watching cruise that you recommend the most on Oahu enough to see whales? I would appreciate any comments or advice. Thank you.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Maui is the best island to take a whale watching cruise. But, for you to take a day trip to Maui for that is not worth it. With the airfare and the cruise, it would be around $200 for each person.

The Oahu Revealed mentions Star of Honolulu.

This site mentions the Star of Honolulu, the Navatek and also one on the north shore:

http://www.activity-hawaii-travel-gu...ng-hawaii.html

Most whale watching cruises offer "guarantees" so if there are no whales spotted, you can go for free on a future cruise. To me this is worthless, because very few people actually have the time to go on another cruise. I doubt they would make the offer if people actually took the free cruise.

You also have a good chance of seeing whales from the Lanai Lookout (first pullout past Hanauma Bay), Halona Blowhole area and Makapuu Lookout. Sometimes the whales come in close enough to shore to be able to see them.

If your grandmother is somewhat ambulatory (my 80 year old mother couldn't do this), you could try the Makapuu Lighthouse trail. The lighthouse is a mile (one way), but most of the whale sightings there are from the first lookout on the trail which is just over 1/2 way to the lighthouse. It is an easy paved trail. Wouldn't be much different than walking 6 or 7 blocks in Waikiki and then back again. You could take a wheelchair on this trail. There are some potholes in the paved road.

Lots of other Oahu info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 05:02 PM

We've been to Maui two times, both in March, especially for whale watching. Some excursions yielded lots of whales, others, even the next day with the same operator, gave us few, if any, whales. Our least satisfying trip was with Pacific Whale Foundation. Based on our experience, I certainly wouldn't recommend flying to Maui in hopes of dramatically better whale watching than on Oahu.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Is April a good month to see the whales as well? I am going in April...thanks!

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Dusty and Marthag. I really appreciate the advice.

Dusty, I already checked out the website on whale watching from your other postings.
It’s a great website and it’s easy to see what your choices are for each island. Thank you.
I also think that you have a good point about the whale watching “guarantees”.
Thanks for the valuable information about where I can see the whales from land. I will definitely consider the Makapuu Lighthouse Trail. When we get to Hawaii, I will ask my grandmother if she will be willing to try it. She can walk, but she needs to rest her legs after every ten to fifteen minutes of walking. But I’m sure that walking on a trail in Hawaii in search of whales will make the experience enjoyable and very worthwhile.

Marthag, thanks for sharing your experience in Maui. Your advice was very helpful.

Cwojo99, I’ve never been to Hawaii, but this thread may help you. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34660904