Reload this Page >

West Yellowstone and Big Sky Restaurants in Montana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 02:14 PM
iceeu2

Any do not miss restaurants in either of these places. We will only be in West Yellowstone for 1 night, but will be using that entrance to the park the rest of the week. Also, how about Big Sky?
Any must does in either of these places or nearby?

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No not really just do Wild West Pizzeria(good pizza), and Bullwinkles, acceptable American fare,,stick to the sandwiches and nachos IMO. Not much there, but we did not go for the restaurantsts ;-), but for the great scenery.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 04:38 PM

Second the recommendation for Bullwinkles, Wyellowstone.com/bullwinkles and we had decent pizza at Pete's Rocky Mountain Pizza Co. in W. Yellowstone. We stayed at the Holiday Inn and ate one meal there as well, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first or second choice As for "do not miss" restaurants in the area, not sure there are any that fall into that category.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 05:23 PM
iceeu2

ok, then, how about...to definitely avoid?

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 01:40 PM

I lived in the Big Sky area so here's a few options depending on your preferences/budget. Mid-range price - Right on the highway about 3-5 miles from the Big Sky turn-off heading towards yellowstone is the "Corral Bar/Cafe" - great for lunch or casual dinner - if you want a typical MT bar where snowmobilers/hikers/hunters hang out, this is it. Awesome burgers/beer/ steak, etc - just don't expect white table service. Depending on the season, you'll see more locals than tourists here. Also surprisingly good is the mexican food at the "Cinnamon Lodge" on the highway towards yellowstone past the Corral Bar. Also a local spot. In Big Sky proper, I always loved "Edelwiess Cafe" in the Big Sky Meadows area (up a few miles from the Big Sky turn-off)for great Austrian food ('course you have to like sausage and spaetzle). Hopefully, it is still open. In that same area is "First Place" which is pretty good. There is also a bakery in a shopping mall area up the road 1/2 mile from the main "Meadows" stores/ restaurants that is SOOO good (on the left side of the road). I think it might be called Blue Moon bakery - the baked goods are to die for and the "Benny" (fresh baked bagel/ham/cheese b'fast sandwich) is the best and I'm not even a huge bagel fan! Upscale Dining - Right across the highway from the Corral is the "Rainbow Ranch" with great but with seriously $$$$ Montana/ California cuisine and wine (I now live in San Francisco and the menu is more expensive than many nice restaurants in SF). Buck's T-4" on the highway is not my favorite as the main restaurant is pricey (there is a causual restaurant on premise as well) but without a lot of ambiance. Nearby Buck's is the "Half Moon Saloon" or something like that - always found that place to be avg but may have changed since I've been a long time ago. West Yellowstone doesn't have any really great (or really bad) restaurants - mostly typical pizza/burgers/etc for the tourist crowd.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 04:04 PM
iceeu2

Thanks for the info, Jo. We will be in the area October 23rd -31st, so hopefully we will catch the locals at Corral Bar/Cafe. We are only taking casual clothes (jeans and sweatshirts and hiking boots), so don't expect the white linen service...but do like good food.
Depending on the weather, we may fish one day. DH loves it, but I'm a fair weather flyfisher! You think there is any chance there will be snow for a snowmobile ride.
We are looking forward to this vacation. Any advice anyone sends this way is appreciated.
i2

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Unfortunately, I highly doubt there will be enough (or any) snow for a snowmobile ride unless a big storm goes through between now and then. Right now, temps are still in the 60's during the day. Flyfishing the Gallatin river, horseback riding, and hiking are the most likely options. Since you're bringing hiking boots, I'll mention that there are some great short (or long) hikes all over in the Gallatin canyon. There is a trailhead right behind Rainbow Ranch (across the river) that you can use to take a nice and fairly easy hike to the top of "Lemon Knob" or even hike down into the next valley which has a pretty river running through it.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Our favorites are Cinnamon Lodge and Bucks T-4. My family LOVES Bucks - the kids talk about it constantly, and it is the hit of our annual ski trip. It may be pricey - but to us it's the best beef around - my 7 year old refers any filet as Bucks T-4 steak. We have never been disappointed - and they have a great selection of wild game too. We don't care for the Corral. Bucks is our favorite vacation rest - next to The Beach House in Kauai, of course!
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 02:47 PM
iceeu2

Just checked the weather in Big Sky and may get to go snowmobiling after all. Just what exactly are "snow showers" in Montana? ie, if there are snow showers on Thursday will there be snow on Saturday?

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Don't count on it - snow showers are snow showers - maybe a inch or so here and there, with most precip at higher elevations. They usually need a major storm to have enough coverage for snowmobiling and skiing. The Big Sky Resort has webcams and you can see what, if any, coverage they may have - www.bigskyresort.com
According to the website the resort is closing until winter opening season Nov. 25 (as most Boyne Resorts do) you might want to do some call aheads for restaurants, etc. in the area.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Unfortunately, it would take a BIG dump of snow between now and your trip (as in feet vs inches) in order for the snowmobile rental shops to start renting out snowmobiles since they need a decent base of snow at the valley level to cover the trails/logging roads for snowmobilers. If it snows a few inches, you might see a few locals busting out their machines to run them around their properties but that's about it. Just keep checking the Big Sky websites and pack warm clothes no matter what the forecast!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:06 AM
iceeu2

Just so I get to see the snow..that's good enough for me and I was kidding about snow mobiles..would probably injure myself!
It is supposed to snow all week tho...and start again next Wednesday..peppermint schnapps & hot chocolate...whatever that's called think I will have 1 or 2!

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:16 AM
iceeu2

Had dinner last night at The Cinnamon Lodge..Sensational! Thanks for the info. Lots of closures.
This place is beautiful.