Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is our choice to starve or eat mediocre food around Yellowstone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have read the many posts on lodging and food around Yellowstone. Main purpose of trip, obviously, is to see National Park. And we are not picky eaters, nor do we need gourmet. Going next week, staying 3 nights in condo in Jackson, 2 nights in West Yellowstone, and 2 nights in Gardiner.

Consensus seems to be that for decent food in latter 2 of these we would be better off grazing with the bison. Anyone eat anyplace decent recently in these areas?
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 05:08 PM

I guess I don't get what you're asking. If you WERE picky eaters or if you WERE looking for gourmet, then you'd be in trouble. But since you aren't, then you should have no trouble finding food. But isn't it mediocrity you're looking for if you're not being picky or looking for gourmet? You'll have no trouble finding that. "Decent" food is readily available.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A year ago, we had pizza and salads at Pete's Rocky Mtn Pizza in West YS and another night at (I think) Outlaw's in Gardiner. Both served respectable food and were filled with families. IMO both were a cut above the food offered at restaurants in the park.

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM

In Jackson, you can easily find lots of gourmet food. There is a large population of wealthy people living in the area.

In Yellowstone you can find more than just decent food at Old Faithful Inn and at The Lake Hotel.

You'll find posts here that state that because I've left them myself, as have others.

Gardiner is another thing. About the only thing you will find there is a good hamburger or buffalo burger at a walk up joint north of town with tables outside.

I'm not sure why anyone would stays in Gardiner, much less 2 nights.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

I know there is good food in Jackson. Why we are staying in Gardiner 2 nights (we will actually arrive late one day and leave early on the third - so it is actually one full day there - is because we want to get an overview of Yellowstone, do some hiking, see hot springs in that area. Wanted to stay in a less popular and populated part of Park. Also, have been told greater chance of seeing big animals in that part than in some others.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:24 PM

We thought the food at The Lake Hotel was actually pretty good (and I admit thatwe are hard to please) and the view is lovely.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:39 PM

we stayed in gardiner a couple of years ago and thought the yellowstone mine was good. we also ate at the mammoth dining room, which was surprisingly good and not over priced.

p.s. FYI: we also discovered that there's no sales tax on the montana side...
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Gail, while in Gardiner, you might try dining at the Chico Hot Springs Resort some twenty-five to thirty miles north in Montana's Paradise Valley. The resort's restaurant is first-rate, and you would need to make a reservation. One can also get quality food in the resort's more relaxed pool-side grille and saloon venues.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:57 PM

Connie: I think the place in Gardiner that you're referring to is Helen's - Home of the Hateful Burger. I worked in Mammoth Hot Springs ten years ago and probably ate at Helen's at least once a week. The buffalo burgers were great (and because buffalo meat is much lower in fat than beef, you didn't have grease running down your arm like when you ate a hamburger). That place also had really good cheese sticks. The rest of the menu was pretty much normal for what you would usually find at a roadside drive-in. The also served ice cream and milkshakes.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I was most curious about food in Gardiner. This trip will be an adventure - we have booked some funky-sounding not-in-the-park nonchain lodgng as well (decided too late get NPS lodging). Am sure it will a totally different family vacation than last summer's cruise to Bermuda!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Jayne1973

Inside Yellowstone, breakfast at the gift shop just outside the Old Faithful Inn is very good, and I've heard the beans and barbeque at Roosevelt are the best food in the park.

We thought Yellowstone Mine in Gardiner was very good, with a neat atomosphere and interesting gift shop attached. In West Yellowstone, Bullwinkles was pretty good, too.

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:49 AM

I too have eaten at the diner area next to the Old Faithful gift shop, it was very good actually, not your typical "theme park" type food choices you seem to be expecting.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Well, you *could* pretend to be shopping for a home at The Yellowstone Club. Bet they would feed you pretty well!
www.theyellowstoneclub.com
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Jayne and Wednesday, RE: dining outside the giftshop near Old Faithful, can you elaborate a bit more?
We've been (several times) and can't *picture* it.
Sounds like a good place to recommend?
Thanks!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Jayne1973

wanderluster~ I think this place might be called Hamilton's store... it's a building adjacent to the main parking lot for the Old Faithful Inn. It's not part of the Inn but the sidewalk leads to it. It has a small grocery store, the diner area (really neat with an old-fashioned counter) and a gift shop. I think the park employees call it lower or upper "Hams." I don't remember whether they served anything but breakfast, however, the food was good and reasonably priced.

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 02:35 PM

previous posters are correct, lots of upscale eateries in Jackson.
The Yellowstone experience is so wonderful I doubt you'll be worried about the food. We found it to be decent and reasonably priced. Considering the logistics of feeding thousands of tourists, they do a nice job. Just enjoy the scenery
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
cd

We had wonderful meals at Old Faithful Inn and the Lake Hotel!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:32 PM

I will vouch for the ribs at Roosevelt in Yellowstone Maybe it was the comparison against the previous week of NP eating, but those ribs were good.

If you have a chance, stop by and do not be scared by the waiting time. They turn their tables around quite a bit!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM

I think the Hamilton Stores have been replaced, but you will find the food in Yellowstone park terrific. If you don't enjoy your steak at Old Faithful Inn, then you are a picky eater. Breakfast at the gift shop is hearty enough to take up and down the mountians. Jackson Hole has some terrific places, too. I don't think you can experience the wonder of Yellowstone and be too concerned with the meals you will have. It is a truly amazing place to behold. Enjoy!