Search

West Palm Beach?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Palm Beach?

A friend and I are trying to plan a trip for spring break. Its March 13-20. We were thinking about West Palm Beach, but don't know much about it. We are college students, but we don't necessarily want to go to a spring break "hotspot" If you have any info on what its like- please let me know
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:04 AM

I live in West Palm. It has a nice downtown area that you would probably enjoy. Lots to do in the area - also Ft Lauderdale is less than an hour away if you wanted to spend a day there. Beaches are nice in the area - Jupiter has great beaches but less going on there (nightclub wise) than in WPB. Ft Lauderdale has an area that is nice too - River Front area (web site http://www.goriverwalk.com/). For WPB, http://www.flausa.com/destinations/l...ocation=ci-wpb or http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/PalmBeach/ or http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tr...alm_beach.html. Enjoy ! There is a Marriott at City Place that is nice and has free shuttle service to City Plac eand Cleamtis Street ! Check out the web sites above.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:04 AM
GoTravel

West Palm Beach is inland so I doubt you would run into a lot of spring breakers.

I am guessing you mean Palm Beach? That area of South Florida is upscale, older, preppy, and monied. Lots of money. During the 'season' which is Christmas through April, 87% of Palm Beach residents are millionaires.

How about Singer Island? If you want more nightlife, head to Ft. Lauderdale or Lauderdale-By-The-Sea. For even more nightlife, head to Miami and South Beach.

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:20 PM

Not sure what GoTravel is talking about, While yes West Palm Beach is "inland" from Palm Beach, it's only inland by a causeway. West Palm Beach is right on the intercoastal, and is definitely a good bet for a spring break spot. It will still be busy, but not MTV like crazy...at least in terms of the crowds...some of the clubs can still get crazy. Clematis Street and City Place are the two big areas for bars,restaurants, movies, shopping, etc. Thursday nights they close down Clematis Street and have all sorts of good times...if you are looking for the beach, GoTravel is right, you have to go over to Palm Beach, about a 3 minute drive...Worth Ave is over on the island as well....Palm Beach moved most of the nightlife out over to West Palm Beach, but it is definitely a worthy choice for Spring Break in my opinion.

try www.gopbi.com for some extra info.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
GoTravel

milemarker, I was guessing they wanted beach and beach is kind of hard to find in WPB.

I do agree about the nightlife. PB seems very quiet at night.

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:22 AM

I just wanted to warn you that the Marriott CityPlace is under extensive remodeling until April, 2004 and it is in deplorable conditions, imo. I stayed there the other day, I otherwise love this place, but for now, many people would not stay the night there. I didn't care, I just wanted a bed for the night. I was charged $99 for the night and I'll tell you, you may not want to pay that..lots of construction workers around on scaffolds from 7 am. you can't open the curtains...others left. I stayed, but just wanted to warn you, as I had not been warned. I live in the area however, so I already knew what I was getting into plus, as I said, I've stayed there before.