Search

West Fla. in March

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 06:46 PM
Jay

West Fla. in March

we are looking for a higher end beach vacation in West Florida in March. Trying to decide between Naples, Siesta Key, Longboat Key, Captiva/Sanibel Island. More interested in beachfront accommodations than nightlife.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 09:50 PM
Freddy T

First of all, it is my understanding that the term "West Florida" or Western Florida is usually used to describe the panhandle section of the state--not the towns you are describing. I don't mean to nitpick, I just don't want you do encounter any confusion during your travel plans.

The area you are looking at is usually called the Gulf Coast or maybe the West Coast. Sanibel might have the best selection of beachfront rooms, because of the high amount of commercial beachfront development. It also has a reputation for a good selection of seashells along the beach.

The sunsets all along the coast are wonderful.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 04:41 AM
Mary

Check out www.flausa.com. There's lots of info.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 05:26 AM
sabrina

My vote goes to Captiva/Sanibel. Beautiful place with lots of B&B's, beautiful beaches and the best shells in the whole state.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 12:54 PM
Hal

My vote would be for Sanibel/Captiva as well. The cost is higher, but that might work better for you if you're not in the mood to be in the middle of a Spring Break scene. Also, it's kinda nice that codes and zoning prohibit big highrise condos on Sanibel/Captiva. Plenty of private rental properties, inns, small hotels, etc. Naples is nice too but not nearly as secluded as Sanibel. Of course the Keys are always a sure thing providing you don't mind Spring Breaker road traffic. Anyway, they all sound good but I'd go for Sanibel if you haven't been before!

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 02:53 PM
Noah

I recently browsed the websites of many of the resorts in Sanibel and Captiva and they looked very nice.

You can get to the official tourism website for the area which Sanibel and Captiva is from www.flausa.com.

There is also a long list of accomodations at www.travelbase.com which has links to those which have their own websites.

I hope you will be careful to avoid the sleazy Spring break scene! Ask about this advance.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 05:34 PM
Dii

WE have stayed in Naples several times in March and we loved it. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton on the Gulf and had a great time and great weather. Naples is a beautiful city and you can easily visit the other places you mention from this location. Enjoy your trip!