Nicest accommodations, Charleston, SC

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 04:34 PM
judy

Nicest accommodations, Charleston, SC

would like suggestions on the loveliest accommodations in charleston. visiting in october. planning on taking the candlelight tour of homes. favorite restaurant recommendations also appreciated. thanks much.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 11:52 AM
lisa

Charleston is one of my favorite cities. I have never been able to get into the very nicest places because they are booked up months in advance. I think one is called the Meeting Street Inn if I remember correctly, a historic home on the Battery. But I have stayed in the Rutledge House Inn which was nice and furnished with antiques. Get a guidebook and see what they recommend because I'm blanking on some of the names at the moment. My preference in Charleston is to stay in older properties rather than the larger chain hotels. At any rate, make sure you stay in the historic district so you can walk to everything. As for restaurants, my very favorite is 82 Queen -- a romantic place to have dinner -- try the barbequed shrimp and grits which are to die for. Another place which is more informal and almost "kitschy" is Poogan's Porch -- I would go there for lunch, and try the she-crab soup. It is delicious. Definitely take one of the horse-drawn carriage tours of the city. The guides can tell you a lot about the architecture and history. Have a great time.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 04:03 PM
Debbie

Hi Judy - Don't the words lovely and Charleston belong in the same sentence! By far, the two most opulent B&B's would be 2 Meeting St Inn (there's also a Meeting St Inn), and the John Rutledge House Inn - neither of which was available when we visited Charleston. 2 Meeting St Inn is on the corner of Meeting St and The Battery - a very large, white house that looked spectacular. The house was a wedding present to some very rich man's daughter way back when. My oh my, did daddy have good taste !! We learned on our carriage ride - a 'must do' - that this B&B has a waiting list of about 1 year in advance of your stay. You'll see why once you see the house.

We stayed at The Ashley Inn-just on the outskirts of the historic district-it's a small B&B (7 rooms) filled with beautiful antiques, but had a homey, comfortable, not stuffy, appeal. The full gourmet breakfasts would rival anything you'd find at a first class restaurant.

If you're not interested in staying in a B&B, numerous tour books (and Conde Nast Magazine) rate Charleston Place, in the heart of the historic district, 4 (maybe 5) stars. There are a number of up-scale shops contained within CP, and staying there would be quite centrally located.

There are numerous places to eat, but would highly recommend you leave room for dessert-which should be enjoyed at Kaminsky's (near the Market). Of course they're sinfully delicious and loaded with calories, so be warned. They're also mouth watering good - generous portions that 2 can share.

As Lisa's already suggested, touring the historic district is a must, as is taking a carriage ride. And the she-crab soup is out-of-this world.

We just got back from Charleston, so if you have other questions, feel free to e-mail me directly while the memories are still fresh.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 04:15 AM
Mary Frances

We stayed at 2 Meeting Street Inn back in June. It was wonderful - like a dream. And the people who work there were extremely helpful and friendly. They told us on the carriage ride also that they have a year's waiting list, and my husband and I just looked at each other and laughed. That could be for some popular weekends, but I just called up about a month before we left and made a reservation with no hitch. It was for a Monday night, though. But I would try because it is worth it. It is probably the loveliest in Charleston.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 06:18 PM
steve

There are many lovely places to stay in Charleston. One that is receiving good reviews(I have not stayed there) is the Wentworth Mansion. I have stayed several times at the Vendue Inn which is a bit larger than most properties mentioned previously, but a very fine, charming property. Favorite restaurants include: Magnolia's, Carolina's and Anson.