Search

West Coast Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Coast Roadtrip

I'm planning a 10 day roadtrip from Seattle to San Diego in August with my sister. We would really appreciate any advice as to inexpensive lodging, suggested stops, etc. Neither of us have never travelled the West Coast before, except for a few brief trips to Los Angeles.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:43 PM

That is an awesome drive, I've made it a few times myself. If you're open to it, you might try camping. Campgrounds are fairly inexpensive and you don't have to be outdoorsy, my sister and I made a similar trip last summer and ended up sleeping in our car at the campsite half the time!! Just hug the coast as you're going down...as soon as you get past Mt. Ranier head west so that you can hit Ocean Shores...lots of amazing rocky coastline in Oregon (my favorite: Hug Point), and you have to see the giant redwoods in northern CA!!!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:02 AM

These are some highlights on the Oregon Coast:

 Ecola State Park
 Cannon Beach,
 Newport (Nye Beach area),
 Cape Perpetua area including the Sea Lion Cave,
 Three State Parks near Coos Bay,
 Bandon,
 Brookings.

Points of special interest in California include:

 Ferndale, Victorian town near Eureka
 Redwood forests
 San Francisco
 Highway 1 between San Francisco and Santa Monica
 Monterey-Carmel area
 Big Sur
 Cambria and ?Hearst Castle?
 Ventura
 Santa Barbara
 Santa Monica

Rates at hotels in these areas increase in the summer. I suggest you post questions about room rates after you have a better idea of where you want to stay.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Go to www.freetrip.com. After entering your starting and finishing points you have to scroll down to submit. While doing that you will come to an area to check off hotel info along the way. Click on your price range(s). You will get back mileage, time and hotels for the entire trip.

I used this method to find hotels for a trip from VA to San Diego and back in September, and also for next years drive to Glacier NP and the Canadian Rockies.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Having made this drive dozens of times, I'll just mention some personal favorite stops/side roads etc.

Columbia River north shore, from Portland to the 101 bridge - historic towns, fascinating views over the river, Puget Island. Then the bridge over the mouth of the river is pretty doggone impressive.

Oregon coast - much is written. Pay special attention to the US 101 bridges crossing various canyons and rivers en route - some of the best art deco design in the USA.

Redwoods - visit as many groves as you can manage. Nothing in the world like it.

Samoa Cookhouse (over the bay from Eureka.) My one mandatory meal stop. Hokey, food so-so. I love it.

Ferndale and Lost Coast - off America's radar, worth a couple hours at least.

Highway 1 northern portion - between Ft Bragg and a big orange bridge. Slow, twisty, simply gorgeous. Plus 20-30 degrees cooler than inland in August.

Point Lobos State Park on Highway 1 southern portion. Worth a long stop.

Nepenthe (restaurant) at Big Sur, the place that put the "Oh" in Omigod. Oh Orson, oh Rita...

Hearst Castle - In Xanadu did Kublai Khan... You gotta see it.

Santa Barbara - Who doesn't want to move there tomorrow?

LA - He who is tired of LA is tired of Planet Earth. Focus on the old downtown area, people watching in Beverly Hills, Venice. Be on the lookout for quirky architecture here at the end of all things.

LA beaches - unbroken, clean, public, equipped, for miles and miles. One of America's crown jewels IMO, under-appreciated by many millions of Angelenos, well-appreciated by millions more. Breakfast at Martha's 22nd St. Grill in Hermosa.

Long Beach - downtown, Belmont, Naples. Worth a little exploring, off many people's radar.

"Little" Balboa Island - Okay, I could happily live here too.

San Diego - MB, OB, PB - all this and Mexico's just an hour away.

Use Priceline for hotels in SF and LA - even same-day ressies can be had, and you can use the money you'll save on a lot of other things.

Happy planning.