Search

West Coast trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Robert

West Coast trip

My best friend and I are planning a trip out West this summer (probably June or July). We are both from South Carolina, and have traveled the East Coast pretty extensively, but have never been "out West."

We haven't hammered down the specifics yet, but my initial idea was the fly to San Diego, rent a car, and drive up the west coast, eventually ending in Vancouver (go to LA, SF, Portland, Seattle). We're planning on being gone about 3-4 weeks.

Is this do-able? Is 3-4 weeks enough time? Is it worth it to drive from San Diego all the way to Vancouver? The idea really excites me, but I have very little inside info on the real West Coast.

ANY info would be very helpful. We are in the 22-23 yr old range and will be financed by our parents for a college graduation present. So, cost is not a real issue but we're not billionaires, so we need to be reasonable. Thanks in advance for all information and ideas!

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Mark

Definitely doable. Make sure you spend a few days each in all five cities you mention. Remember that we're not as crowded out west like you are out east. More beautiful panoramas and wide open spaces-some may think it's boring. From San Fran to Portland= 12 hours, Portland to Seattle= 3.5 hours, Seattle to Vancouver=4 hours. Hit the california coast, the redwood forests, Portland's willamette valley, the columbia river gorge, Tacoma- city of Destiny, Seattle, San Juan Islands or the rainforests, then on to Vancouver.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Alisa

Hi Robert,

Sounds great and the time frame is doable. But, let us know what kinds of things you and your friend like to do. Are you outdoorsy types, or do you prefer clubbing it? Will you stay in hotels or camp or hostels--let us know a general price range.

The previous poster was right--the trip may be boring for some. But absolutely beautiful. I have done the drive--let me know and I will try to help.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Leslie

Since Mark described the north-of-SF distances, let me suggest some points of interest and drive times south of there:

San Diego to LA (2-3 hours but avoid weekdays between 7 - 11 am or 3 - 7 pm)due to traffic. (Consider stopping in La Jolla, Laguna, Newport Beach on your way up) Note: you'll take the 5 freeway north and then transition to the 101 freeway to LA. Don't take the 5 all the way to LA (unless you're set on seeing Disneyland) cause it's the ugly route.

In LA, stay in the Santa Monica area. Be sure to see the Getty Center.

From LA stop in Santa Barbara, about 2 hours north. Consider also stopping in the village of Solvang. Then, in San Luis Obispo, head toward highway 1. This is slower than continuing on the 101 but it's very scenic coastline. Be sure to see the Hearst Castle (advance reservations required), Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey (Be sure to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium) and Santa Cruz. You can then connect back over to the 101 from there to go to San Francisco.

Figure on about 4 hours from Santa Barbara to Monterey. Another 3 from there to SF.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Leslie

Correction: From the 5 out of San Diego, you connect to the 405 north, not the 101 (Sorry)

Also, forgot to suggest that when you head north from Santa Monica take Pacific Coast Hwy north to Malibu, then cut over on Malibu Canyon Rd (aka Las Virgenes Canyon Rd) to connect with the 101 which will take you to Santa Barbara.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:08 AM
J Correa

I think that trip sounds great and is definitely doable in 3-4 weeks. You both have great parents.

If I were planning that trip, I would stick to the coast as much as possible. It will take longer because a lot of the roads are 2-lane, but you have plenty of time. Plan on spending at least a few days in each city you plan to visit. You also might consider taking a couple days to drive up to Lake Tahoe.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Andrew

3-4 weeks: no problem.

Go to the best local book store with a good travel section or even a local library and dig up travel books on the US to get some more ideas for things to see out here. What are you interested in seeing? Then throw your ideas out here and ask for feedback.

I live in Portland and highly recommend you do spend time here, in Seattle, and Vancouver, BC - all neat cities. Find travel books for all and just browse a little, see what catches your eye.

The coast is beautiful out here. In California and Oregon you might drive along the coast - Highway 1 in California, Highway 101 in N. California and Oregon. However by the time you get to San Francisco the water is too cold for swimming, but the views are gorgeous. Avoid I-5 if you can except for short trips (north of Portland it's your best bet though). I-5 offers fast travel but very boring views most of the time.

Andrew

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Pat

An earlier poster suggested a stop at Solvang which is near Santa Barbara. Don't. It may be interesting to folks over 70. but no one else. In Portland check out the Kennedy School. It is a hotel, micro brewery, theater. etc. in an old grammar school. Really a hoot. Also, in southwest Washington is the Long Island peninsula, just across the Columbia River from Astoria. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:19 AM
travellyn

Sounds like a great trip! Excellent graduation present.

If I had that long, I'd probably detour a bit to the east and hit a couple of national parks, as well as seeing the coast. It all depends on what you like to do. A "Let's Go" guide book might be pretty helpful in your trip planning, even if you don't go the extreme budget route.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Robert

Thanks to everyone who offered such helpful advice. I really think the people that use the Fodor's message boards are some of the most helpful, informed, and speedy posters anywhere.

Mark - Thanks for warning me that the drive may be boring. Here on the East Coast (we both grew up on the coast), there is constantly stuff to do near the ocean, so understanding that its different out West is very informative.

Alisa - We are very active people, and we especially enjoy partying. The bar scene, clubs, festivals, etc., all interest us a lot (come on, we will have just graduated college! party!). But, we also know this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip and we want to get as much out of it as possible and not waste it in a haze of bars and clubs. We want to see the outdoors, but we want it to be very "worth it," if you see what I mean... only top-tier outdoor attractions.

J Correa - How long is the trek to Lake Tahoe? I'd love to go to Tahoe. Where should fit it in? Between SF and Portland?

Pat - Thanks for suggesting the Kennedy School as a place to stay. We want to stay in cool, local places like that, not a Days Inn you can find in Anytown, USA. We will look into that.

Anyone else have similar suggestions about unique local places to stay? Keep in mind, we are 22-23 and any suggested places need to be "youth friendly." (We are responsible adults, but the stigma over our generation precedes us).

Thanks to everyone else who offered advice. Please, keep it coming. I am so pumped about this trip and everyones' helpfulness has made me even more so!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Robert

Forgot to put this is my last post: What is the typical attire or dress code for the nice bars, clubs, restaurants out West? I'm sure it varies by region/city, so wherever you live, please chime in.

I'm usually not overly concerned about my appearance but I know there is a huge difference in East Coast vs. West Coast styles, fads, etc.... this probably multiplied by the fact that we're both from the SOUTHeast. Basically, we don't want to stick out like sore thumbs or not get admittance into the "cool" places because of how we're dressed. (Something tells me this will be more of an issue in Cali and less so in the Pac NW).

Just a reminder: We're going in June or July, and will be travelling for a while. How much does the weather vary at this time of the year? And, we need to pack light, so what are some "essentials"?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Paula

Robert,
I think you've been getting some really good advise and it's good that you're starting to plan far in advance.

I live in Seattle and love it, but am a bit older than you, so when my daughter who is junior at the University of Washington is home this weekend, I'll have her get on and tell you about the places people in your age group would enjoy in Seattle. Offhand, a few places I think you'd like are the Seattle Center (take the elevator to the top for the view if it's a clear day--but don't eat at the restaurant--might be worth it to get a drink at the bar), go to EMP (Experience Music Project)--try to go early during the week, not on a weekend if possible (unless you don't mind crowds) and go to Pike's Street Market.

Like I said, I'll have her get on when she's home for more to do here.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:08 PM
J Correa

To see Lake Tahoe, you have a couple choices depending on what you want to do.

You could go to Lake Tahoe after SF (4-5 hour drive) and then make your way to Portland. You might want to take Hwy 49 north through the Sierra Nevadas, then cut over and check out the Mount Shasta and Lassen areas before heading up to Portland. You could head back to the coast in Oregon and Washington.

Another possibility would be to add a visit to Yosemite. You can head east from Monterey/Santa Cruz area, cross the valley (boring drive, but worth it in the end), spend a night or 2 in Yosemite, drive to Lake Tahoe, spend a night or 2 there, and then head to SF. From SF you could head up the coast and check out Mendicino and Humbolt areas.

I think both routes are good, it just depends on what you want to do.

I would definitely take Hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo to Monterey - the scenery can't be beat.

San Luis Obispo is a college town - lots of bars and places to hang out. It's probably a little quite in the summer time though. Very casual.

Morro Bay is a fun little place too.

Monterey and Santa Cruz, also very casual. Definitely spend at least a night in Santa Cruz - great beach town, lots of surfers, people hanging out, beaches, etc. It's totally different from the beach culture in SoCal though. It's also a very casual place. Lots of people swear by Carmel, but it's more for the older crowd. Monterey is cool though.

As for the weather, it will probably be nice and warm in SoCal, foggy in the mornings and sunny in the afternoons along the central coast, warm during the day and chilly at night in the Sierras, and foggy in SF. Oh, and it will be hotter than He!! in the central valley, which you will cross to get from the coast to the Sierras. Being from the southeast though, you probably wont have a problem with the heat though since we don't have the humidity out here.

For the clubs it really depends on what you are into. Pubs are casual. Hip hop clubs are generally dress-to-impress meaning slacks, silk shirt and dress shoes. Rock and alternative clubs are casual - jeans, button up shirt un buttoned, solid t-shirt, sketchers shoes.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:14 PM
J Correa

Another thing I thought of - Microsoft Streets and Trips is a good program for planning road trips. You might find it helpful for planning.

Also, I don't know about the other areas, but for Monterey, Santa Cruz, SF, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe, definitely make reservations for lodging ahead of time because June and July are high seasons for tourism.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:02 PM
Alisa

A word about dress-codes. Depends on what kinds of places you want to go. Night-clubs and bars in LA vary. Most are casual--but I would bring a pair of slacks and a dress shirt--black pants, casual but trendy shirt if you want to go to some nicer places.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Alisa

Hi. First some thoughts. 1) Renting a car may be expensive and many companies do not rent to individuals under 25 or charge a fee. Sounds like you will be financed but check this out. 2) Hotels and especially camp ground sites get booked in the summer so you need to have a fairly regimented schedule if you want to stay along the coast. The good news is you can make reservations, even for camp sites in California. Do a web search for the campground site--or I am sure a fellow fodor-ite can tell you. I would really recommend a bit of camping--especially along the central CA coast and in Oregon--really beautiful and cost effective-especially if you want to blow some cash on clubs and such.
3) I may get flamed for this but if I was going to cut anything out it would be San Diego. IMHO I would spend my time in LA or San Francisco.

Or, I would drive the three hours to LAS VEGAS!!

Places to stop along the way:

Los Angeles: I would stay in Santa Monica as your base. On the beach--I could suggest some hotels. Santa Monica has nightlife, young people, a promenade with shops, bars, restaurants. It is also a good base to explore LA. Places to see:

Museums
Farmer's Market on Third and Fairfax
Sunset Strip
Beverly Hills
Venice Beach
Hermosa/Manhattan Beaches have bars and clubs
Disneyland, of course
Universal Studios or another studio tour
Go to a show taping
Hollywood (a little seedy but fun none the less)
Tickets to a Lakers or Kings game
Malibu
In-n-Out Burger
Pink's Hot Dogs

see next post...............

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Alisa

I would then head down the coast to Santa Barbara for a couple of days--again lots of clubs along state street. Great beaches. You can see the Santa Barbara Mission, maybe head to Solvang for the day-some people think it is boring but if you are going to DO the West cost, I would go for the day and return to SB at night. Great restaurants in SB--. If you like wine, there are a bunch of wineries around SB, but I would save that for Napa.

Then head down the cost and drive through the beach towns. I would plan on camping along the coast and see the Redwoods in Big Sur for a night or two.

Next--stay in Monterey. Go the the Monterey Aquarium, hang out around Cannery Row. Walk along the beach--it's a marine preserve and you can see otters and seals frolicing in the ocean. Just lovely.

You can then go up the coast to Santa Cruz and hang out at the boardwalk at the beach--no big thrill rides but it is a great place to see.

San Jose would be next. Again, I might get flamed for telling you to visit San Jose but I was born there so....See the Tech Museum--take in a hockey game.

Then, San Francisco. Now I am getting jealous. There is so much to do and see in SF. Ride a trolley, eat dim sum in China town, Italian in North Beach. Go to Alcatraz, see the Golden Gate bridge. I have not made it up to SF in a while but I am sure fodorites can help you with clubs and such. I'll tell you more but plan on staying there a few days at least.

From SF I would head up to Napa/Sonoma and visit some wineries. There are tours and great restaurants. If you like, go to one of the mineral spas for the night.

From Napa you could either continue up the coast or go to Tahoe--see the mountains and do some gambling if you did not make it to Vegas. Also, I don't know if you considered going to Yosemite but, it is great.

From SF to the Northern Border of CA is beautiful. But, it is more scenery than night-clubby FYI. Pick a couple places to sleep before proceeding to Oregon. Mount Tamalpais.

In Oregon--again, the coast is pretty sleepy but great. You must camp and explore the coast. See the Tillamok cheese factory, go crabbing and pick wild berries. Lots of campgrounds that take reservations-at least they did when I was there. Actually, come to think of it, they didn't take reservations so we stayed at private campgrounds. Lots of senior citizens with trailers with signs like "Millie and Jack's Place". What a hoot. Go salmon fishing, too.

I can't help you much with specifics about Oregon and Washington but I would definately see Portland--skip seeing the Trail Blazers, though. Sorry, Portland.

Seattle needs a few days. Make sure you take a ferry from Seattle and see the islands. I hear Vancouver is great. I have an aunt that lives in Seattle and I could ask her to help out.

That should get you started. One thing--go to your local AAA office and get their maps and tour books for Northen and Southern California. I am looking at one right now and it lists some itineraries--just what you need.

I can give you more specifics on clubs and hotels around Southern and Central CA. Let me know.

Have fun!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Renee

Here is the link to a campsite above Santa Barbara - actually cabins - might be fun for the night. Article is from LA Times 7/02 weekend escapes section.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/escape...ekend%5Fescape

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:58 AM
J Correa

Seeing a hockey game in SJ is an exellent idea - except that hockey season will be over by then. I think the Sharks games are pretty much all sold out through the end of the season anyway.

A stop in SJ isn't a bad idea though. It's not really a tourist destination, but it's on the way from Santa Cruz to SF and there are some interesting things to see. Also, it's the center of the west coast tech industry.

About Napa and wineries - I've always wondered, is there anything in Napa and Sonoma for people who aren't into wine? I've lived in CA my entire life and have thought about going up there for a weekend to check it out, but all I ever hear about is the wineries and I'm not really into wine.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:53 AM
lynette

You're going to have a great time... and you've gotten really good advice on this board! Here my two cents: skip the Monterey Aquarium! It's not that great... kinda lame actually! If you want to see some marine wildlife.. check out the seals and/or elephant seals in Monterey, Port San Luis (near San Luis Obispo) and at the beach near Cambria. Also, SLo and Santa BArbara both have very casual nightlife... boith are college towns, great bar life, great beach life. Enjoy!
Lynette

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -