Search

West Coast Drive

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Coast Drive

My husband and I would like to drive from San Francisco to Seattle or visa versa during July or August. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which way and if rental cars can be picked up in one location and returned to another since we would be flying in from the East Coast. Also any "Don't Miss" stops would be appreciated. Thanks so much, Lynnie G.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sure, thousands of people do it every year. Very popular route. Yes, you can do one-way rentals; some companies will hit you with a "drop off" fee, others will just charge a higher base rate. It doesn't matter which way; I prefer southbound but that's just me.

There are more "don't miss" stops than can be mentioned here. The Washington coast has national park, rain forests, rocky beaches, long sandy beaches, and wonderful esturaries. The Oregon coast has the same, and more of it. Inland, you have various volcanoes, the Columbia Gorge, the beautiful Willamette Valley, and lots of wineries, orchards, covered bridges and fun cities. Farther inland yet, you have red rocks, great "old west" scenery, Indian reservations and desert. You can zigzag from coast to mountains and desert easily, if you have the time.

Northern California has the same variety, but with a big addition, worthy of the whole trip - the Redwoods. IMO the redwoods top a lifetime of "don't misses."

South of redwood country, the coast highway - California Route 1 - is gorgeous, passing through beaufitul country and cute towns, then re-joining US 101 just in time for an eye-popping dramatic entry into San Francisco.

There are a ton of threads here on Oregon, Washington and Northern California. Just type one or two terms into the search box and stand back.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Could you be more specific.
That is a huge amount of real estate to cover with many things to do and see in between.

How many days?

Do you want to see Seattle and S.F. or just use them as landing/depature points?

What are you interests?

What is your budget?

Have you read any guide books or done any research about things that are of interest to you?

Happy planning.

-Bill
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Traveling to Seattle from San Francisco we like to go via Mendocino and the stretch of California cost north of Eureka. The highlight of northern California is the redwood forests. Oregon coast favorites include:

• Sand dunes.
• Bandon for the beach
• Coos Bay for nearby State Parks: Sunset, Shore Acers, and Cape Arago.
• Yachats.
• The Sea Lion Caves north of Florence.
• Lighthouses.
• Cape Perpetua.
• Newport for Nye Beach and the Aquarium
• Depoe Bay, especially at high tide
• Cape Meares State Park.
• Tillamook for ice cream.
• Hug Point State Park
• Cannon Beach
• Ecola State Park
• Fort Clatsop National Monument.
• Astoria

If we are in a hurry, we usually spend the nights in Mendocino, Brookings, Newport, and Cannon Beach.

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 01:48 PM

From San Francisco you will want to see the Mendocino coast. Go up US 101 and turn off to the Anderson Valley (CA 120), where you might want to do some wine tasting. Stay overnight near Mendocino or in Mendocino itself. Follow CA 1 until it rejoins 101. Go up 101 and make sure you take the turn-off for the Avenue of the Giants. I wouldcross over from Crescent City to Medford, OR and on to Crater Lake. I personally like the drive on the back side of the Cascades. I would visit Mt. Hood that has a fantastic WPA Lodge, and Mt. St. Helens for its destruction and resurrection of nature. Then back toward the coast to go around the Olympic Peninsula. Go see the archeological museum in Neah Bay. Walk to the end of the continental U.S. through an old grove forest. Some of this is covered in my trip report, even though I gather you would not be camping:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...1&tid=34540668