Reload this Page >

We're packing right now...Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 01:03 PM
julia wells`

Thanks to Fodors Forum and all the help received, this family now feel confident and happily excited about our trip to USA on 22nd March. We go to Southwest Inn Sedona for three nights and then Yavapai Lodge Grand Canyon for two nights. Then adrift for two nights before heading for San Diego.
Now we're packing. What do we take to the Grand Canyon? Snowshoes, torch, gloves, scarf and thermals? We'd like to treck a bit, but not all the way to the bottom. Any tips to dilettante hikers welcome. Many thanks, Julia

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 02:18 PM
Sandy

Hi Julia:

Try the Weather Channel site and/or the NPS site (National Park Service) for weather and hiking tips in the Grand Canyon. NPS also has prerecorded weather forecasts on local telephone numbers -- the NPS site should have the numbers. I'm guessing there's still plenty of snow on the trails, but I'm not certain. You cannot hike to the floor of the canyon and back in one day, no matter type of weather, so choose a turnaround spot ahead of time. And remember, going down is MUCH faster and easier than coming back up, so give yourself extra time on the way back.

Have a blast!

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 05:18 PM
John

Hi, Julia,
Just checked and the temp. at the South Rim is 36F at 7 PM. The weather service says 50s on the rim for highs, 20s for lows (80F midday on the river,) but getting colder and chance of snow on the north rim Monday. Remember the GC is at a very high elevation so the weather can change suddenly and it can be colder feeling than the objective temperature. And of course it's March in Arizona, too. (Remember the altitude too when planning hikes.)
There are plenty of nature walks in the park without the need to descend into the canyon proper, if you prefer that.
Where are you drifting before San Diego?
If you get the urge to drive, we'd highly recommend Canyon de Chelle and/or Monument Valley, but those are the opposite way. Have fun.

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 07:42 PM
cmcdaniel

Julia...no snowshoes, no torches (flashlights), perhaps gloves. Most important to remember for the Grand Canyon is to dress in layers so you can peel off as you descend into the lower and warmer elevations, and as your body heat increases because of the increased exertion, then add back on as necessary. We were there when the early morning temps were 3 degrees F, but we wore only light windbreakers, cotton long sleeved shirts under and were perspiring as we hiked! Windbreakers came off and we were all still to warm thanks to the calorie burn.

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 02:11 AM
julia wells

To Sandy, John and Cmcdaniel -Thank you very much indeed. I now have a clear idea of what to expect and what to pack. Trouble is I cannot sleep for excitement. I'll probably be fit for nothing by the time I get there! I've heard of the canyon Chelle and Monument Valley. I'm not sure how far from Yavapai Lodge these places are and in what direction. Getting to San Diego,(we've three days to do this in), should we return the way we arrived, through Phoenix.? Las Vegas is an alternative, but neither my husband and I are keen. The young may outvote us, of course, unless we hide the maps! Is Lake Powell a possibility? I hate to bother you all. Only respond if you have time. So looking forward to this first trip to America, and meeting Americans in their own country. Bye for now, Julia

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 04:32 AM
cmcdaniel

Julia, You sound as excited as I was when we were making our first trip to England a couple of years ago. gt; And the feeling when we broke through the clouds and saw the very green acreage below us on our approach to Gatwick-- what an absolute thrill!!!! I hope your trip to the US is even a fraction as wonderful as ours was to the UK!

The drive from Phoenix to San Diego isn't a long one..our daughter and son-in-law go over from Phoenix for long weekends. Wild horses couldn't get me to Las Vegas...that just isn't my thing, so my vote would be to spend more time enjoying the spectacular AZ scenery. The dessert should be in bloom while you are there. Monument Valley is a few hours north of Grand Canyon, on the AZ-Utah border. It's gorgeous, but if you are pressed for time, I think I'd drive south from the Canyon and spend a couple days in Sedona instead. The drive in from the north is spectacularly beautiful and there's plenty of hiking and touring to keep you occupied for a couple of days just in that area.

Or hit Sedona before the Canyon, then continue north covering Monument Valley and the sights of Utah before heading over to CA.

When you get back, would you give us a trip report, let us know what you did and how you liked it? We would all be interested in hearing what you end up doing! Again...hope your trip is sup

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 04:40 AM
cmcdaniel

Oops...sorry...just re-read your initial message and see you are doing Sedona then the Canyon. My vote from there would be to hit Monument Valley. Be sure to drive down into it though...it gives you an entirely different perspective than you get from standing above it at the visitors center. You can drive it yourself or do one of the tours offered by the Indian guides. This is reservation land and if you are not with them you are more restricted as to what you can see. Stay at Gouldings Lodge and be sure to watch the sunrise over Monument Valley from your balcony the next morning. I think we shot almost an entire roll of film just of that! gt;

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 05:52 AM
John

Hi again, Julia,
We too know the big adventure-eve feeling despite umpteen big trips. Savour it.
The places to look for on a map (get one right away) are Chinle for Canyon de Chelly (which I mis-typed before) and Kayenta for Monument Valley. Kayenta is about 160 mi./3-4 hrs. from the GC south rim (interesting ride through Indian country); Canyon de Chelly is around 100 miles further, both northeast/east from the GC, so going the other way from San Diego. (But you can still drive to San Diego from either in a longish day if you so choose.)
I agree with cmc daniel that if you had to choose one I'd pick Monument Valley, and by all means take the valley drive. You have seen this landscape before, probably many times, all in adverts or John Ford movies, but the real thing just takes your breath away.
But...the cliff dwellings and monolith rocks at Canyon de Chelly are simply supernatural and spooky, even more so if you happen to see the valley with a dusting of snow (viewed from the overlooks on the rim.)
Regarding the route to San Diego, my own preference would be to go through Utah to St George and then down to Las Vegas and then California. Las Vegas is a remarkable light show and an amazing contrast to the canyon lands.