Reload this Page >

We're Goin' to New Orleans! Now What?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Patti

Looking for suggestions on places to stay/things to do in New Orleans...we are a married couple in our 30's, and are coming down for a long weekend in February.

In terms of hotels, luxury and quiet are most important; also, looking for ideas on great restaurants (not stuffy) and fun things to do/see.

Thanks in advance!

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Rachel

I'll try to tell you nicely before someone else shoots flames:

Do some research, starting perhaps with a search of this forum, then return when you have more specific questions.
Until then . . . .

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 03:14 PM
kal

Jacques-Imos restaurant. Very "not stuffy and also is a fun thing "to do"!
Jacques is a very gracious host.
Stuffed pork chop is killer.
kal

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Kay

Best two hotels by far: Maison Orleans and Windsor Court.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Patti

Ouch, Rachel! I sent a general query because I sent a more specific one earlier and got no responses. I can always pick up a guide book but thought it'd be helpful to hear from one who lives there.

Be gentle to those of us who are new to this!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Bethany

Patti, My husband and I love going to New Orleans. Great food great ambiance...not the best place for peace and quiet. We most recently stayed at the W in the Quarter. Unbelieveable! I highly recommend it...although it is not cheap BUT you will be lavished in a comfy bed with awesome music playing, aveda bath products, a big fluffy robe. It was heavenly. Its most fun to just make up what your going to do there while your there...just walk around and if something looks interesting just try it out. I LOVE Pat O'Briens for their Hurricanes. It's just soooo crowded most of the time. If you see it and it's not go inside. The piano bar is awesome. Have Fun. b

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:08 AM
bryarsmom

Be sure to make it down to Cafe DuMond for bignets and coffee. Mothers restaurant is a must-try to get there early to avoid the line though.

You'll find most reataurants aren't cheap-no matter where you dine. Best to take some time and read Fodor's dining reviews and take a list with you.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 07:57 AM
cindy

I've been twice - first time was the best (seems as if French Quarter has become Calif/Florida daiquiri bar-ville), but second time I went to the place where they create the Mardi Gras floats - really interesting! As for food, yep it's not cheap, but one meal was PoBoys which was so big I had leftovers the next day. And definitely beignets - I think I'll try making them myself this New Years Day. Take the trolley through Garden District - some good restaurants in there. Have fun!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Cindy

Here's the list: See Jackson Square, the French Market (great for beads to take home as souveniers), Cafe du Monde, Bourbon Street and Pat O'Brien's. If you want a tour, the Gray Line city tour has a cemetery stop - lots of great information is included. A steamboat ride (not a dinner cruise) on the Natchez and the St. Charles Streetcar is fun, too. A 1/2 day swamp tour is plenty, there's too much else to see and do to stay all day. Petunia's and Deja Vu are good places to eat and not at all stuffy! Be brave and try a Lucky Dog. Acme Oyster House or Felix's across the street both have great oysters. Whew! - Now go and have fun!!!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Gooey

Patti,
I was in NO a couple of years ago and some things that I did that were fun, included:
a bike and canoe trip to a bayou, with lunch, the company ran it out a bike shop in the Quarter;
a cooking class at the Jax Brewery building, it cost about $25 and included lunch, interesting to see the food made and get to hear good stories about NO;
bowling and music at the Mid-City Lanes, we saw Kermit Ruffin there, great time and fun bowling as well;
going out to Vaughn's for Kermit Ruffin late show and free red beans and rice at midnight, ask a local to take you there, neighborhood is a little scruffy;
walk around Tulane area and Audubon park;
ride the street car;
there is an endless supply of activities in NO but do yourself a favor and get out of the Quarter, while it is fun and should be experienced, there is more to NO than that. Have fun, I am quite jealous.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 09:50 AM
geith

Really enjoyed the Omni Royal Crescent. Quiet and only two blocks from the quarter. The rooms were mid-sized and beds were comfortable.

Don't miss the Acme Oyster House, Central Grocery, Cafe DuMonde and Uglesich's! Be sure to walk on the side streets in the Quarter. Much more enjoyable than Bourbon Street. Take the St. Charles streetcar down to the Garden District for Sunday brunch at Commander's Palace!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Chuck

Want the most amazing breakfast you'll ever experience? Well, get on the St. Charles street car and head out of the city to The Camilla Grill.

On the way, you'll see Tulane, the beautiful mansions on St. Charles Street and finally arrive at one of the country's best breakfast places. Get a seat at the counter and watch these dudes do their magic! The are fantastic.

Amazing fluffy omlets as big as the plate. They whip them up into a frenzy and serve them with great home fried potatoes, meats, etc. This a very famous place in New Orleans.

Its a great city for food!!! Not the cleanest place in the world, but the food more than makes up for the streets.

Check out Mother's for lunch - Get the Debris Po boy - fantastic. Another classic place in the city. The wait is worth the experience.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Dave

All the above ideas are good.

I'll throw a restaurant at you that I had never been to until this past week.

Restaurant August, located across the road from the W an the Windsor Court. This is a MUST try...loved it so much for lunch I went back 3 days later for dinner. It is simply magical!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:05 PM
johnny

Restaurant August is at 301 Tchoupitoulas St

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 04:10 AM
KK

Be sure you go to Wendy's after trying August because the portions are TINY and the place is quite expensive.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 04:33 AM
Wendy

I was in New Orleans in October and loved it..We stayed at the Hotel Monteleone. It was very nice and the staff was excellent. It is right in the middle of the action..Don't miss Acme Oyster Bar..EXCELLENT!! We also ate at Irene's Cuisine, K-Paul's and Bayonas. All out of this world...Don't miss the French Market....Enjoy.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:02 AM
Dave

Not necessarily true about small portions at August. Expensive yes, but still one of the best restaurants in New Orleans for food and ambience.

I am a big eater and both occasions I was stuffed! A couple of menu items are small, so if your hungry ask the waiter if it is a large portion or not. But this place is a must, and it has raised my food experience to new heights!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:27 AM
kath

Just got back from New Orleans last week; another vote here for the Monteleone. Very reasonable prices for the location and service. After humping around all day it feels nice walking into that big ornate lobby. We were quite impressed with the staff. Great, comfy brand new king size beds! Even if you don't stay there, hang out at the Carousel bar and watch the Royal street traffic go by. Parker and Eddie are top-notch bartenders. In the FQ, the Gumbo Shop and Johnny's Po-boys are great lunch spots. Also had an excellent meal at Mr. B's. Emeril's NOLA sometimes gets sketchy reviews, but I have to give it the nod this trip over Commander's. Food was outstanding at both, but service at NOLA was much tighter. Best spot for music on Bourbon is the Funky Pirate--don't miss Big Al Carson. Great R&B and no cover. Beleive it or not, the best oysters I had were at Crescent City Brewpub. Learn something new all the time!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:33 AM
Jason

I was in NO last month and the Windsor Court folks recommended August. I would not do it again. Despite the beautiful physical surroundings, the food wasn't much to speak of and the service was too standoffish. And the bill was WAY up there. I prefer other N.O. places like Pelican Club or Bayona. August is all about hype.