well i got the job,move to la?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i got the job offer, now do i take it? I know this is not a moving forum, but any help would be appriceated. I would live in sacramento for 1 year then move to LA, i am not to worried about sacramento, but how is living in LA? Are people friendly, or do they have "the mind your own business NYC attitude" How does expenses compare to NYc or philly? Any tips would be appriecaited, THANKS
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:25 AM

This sounds like something you might have researched before the 11th hour. Have you ever been to LA or Sacramento?

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Nope never in ca before, i am most likely going to fly out to investigate before i move, there is only so much you can see in a short visit
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:49 AM

Where are you moving from and are you single, married, any kids? Rent / mortgage in L.A. high but other costs not so. I think you will find people in L.A. friendly, esp. in beach areas.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

I am 23, have a boyfriend who would be staying in Pa (a major reason why i might not take the job), no kids and i live in south Pa. The job would be with the federal goverment, so its a great opportunity. I would be making around 40k (pre tax) is the ok for the la area, i dont want to live in the ghetto, but i dont need the 90210 zip code either.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:05 AM

You'd need the boyfriend in LA and the two-income household. Prices have skyrocketed for housing in the last few years, almost catching up to NY (not quite). In two years 40k might really be pushing it.

They say a good gauge is being able to find rent that's one-quarter of your income. With modest one bedrooms running at $1000 a month, that's 48k for the yearly salary recommended.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:15 AM

I live outside of LA (but in LA County). I'll comment on cost of living:

-- Rents: Quite a bit higher than the Phillie area, much lower than NYC/Manhattan.

-- Gasoline: Much higher than east coast.

-- Utilities: Comparable, but you'll spend a lot less on heat in the winter.

-- Food: Groceries are comparable in price but produce is of MUCH higher quality (and available practically year-round). Eating out is about the same as in Phillie, lower than in Manhattan, and your money goes farther. A $20 entrée in an LA eatery will be far better than a $20 entrée in Manhattan.

But all these factors are dependent on where you live. You need to find out where in the LA metro area you'll be working, then start looking at places to live. If it will be on the Westside (the big Federal building on Wilshire at Veteran), I'd be looking initially in Westside communities; these are pretty pricey. If you're working in downtown LA, your housing options get more interesting.

I live in Long Beach, which used to be dirt-cheap as beach communities go; it's now turning into a desirable place to buy, and housing costs are going through the roof. Example: I bought a condo seven years ago-- 1 BR 1 bath, 625 sq ft. I paid $54K. The last unit in my building that sold went for $200K. I could sell my unit as-is for $190K. That's insanity.

People? Depends on the area. I find people here very friendly-- my neighborhood is full of super-nice people. Long Beach is a very diverse community, especially in the beachside neighborhoods, and everyone basically gets along great. Other, dodgier parts of the city aren't so blessed.

Best of luck to you. I strongly urge you to take a trip out here to see both Sacramento and the LA area.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

i will admit that i am worried about not fitting the sterotypical la "style" that i have heard, and seen on tv. While i am not obease or even very overweight i do have some meat on my bones. I am also not obsessed with my looks and have no problem going to walmart with out makeup, so will i be a social reject?
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 12:29 PM

That "lookism" you see on TV is such a load of hogwash. Unless you're trying to get into SkyBar (or shop at Gucci in Beverly Hills), no one who counts really cares if you look like Pamela Anderson or not. I see people of every shape, size, color, etc. when I walk around, dressed in every which way you can imagine. As long as they're clean and nothing untoward is showing, they're just fine. And that's the attitude of 99.94% of the people in this area.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 01:04 PM

"stereotypical la 'style'" What's that?????

I'm with rjw - the people in LA look like a cross section of the world and come from all rungs of the social ladder.

You'll like LA. No snow! What a blessing! Year-round good weather! Lots of things to do - a lot are free too! Food is cheaper in southern California than in northern California. Have fun! and be adventuresome!
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

lol, "la style" I have no fake boobs, not a size 6, and ugly feet lol
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 09:28 AM
lvk

OMG, does the rest of the country really think that CA is just one giant BayWatch episode?!! 8-) It's a good thing that your not a size 6. Der Governator just ruled that all new women entering CA must be size 2 or under and cup size must be DD or larger. Oh, and your boyfriend had better not be a "girlie-man"

Seriously, though, I moved to CA from the East Coast when I was about your age. It's not for everyone, but it was the best move I ever made! Besides the weather, the career move, the lifestyle, I think the thing that most motivated me was the fear of sitting thru the cold NE winters for the rest of my life thinking "what if?" PA will still be there if you decide CA is not for you.

I think that you'll find the people in CA to be much less judgemental than in other parts of the country. (Many of us are transplants from somewhere else too.) You can go shopping in sweats w/no makeup or in a sequined gown and neither would get you a 2nd look.

That being said, I lived on the Westside of LA when I first moved here and found there to be many more Hollywood "wannabe's" there than in the coastal communities. I was asked frequently if I was "in the business". I had aspiring actresses, screenwriters, rock-stars living in the apartments around me.

Like rjw, I am biased toward the beach areas because of the down-to-earth people, cooler climate, and range of outdoor activities. You'll find a higher concentration of people close your age at the coast, too. I'm partial to the Hermosa/Redondo Beach area, but again, it depends on where you'll be working. I worked in the valley at first and found that the long commute was worth it, since all my friends were here and I felt like I was driving home to my own "resort" every evening.

Rentals are expensive in the beach cities, but may be doable with a roommate. Otherwise, you could probably live a few miles inland and still be close to the beaches and the freeways.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, my boyfriend is not a girlieman, so he may have some trouble fitting in
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:39 AM

When I was 24 I had the opportunity to move from NY to LA and I jumped on it...of course my situation was slightly different in that I had just gotten out of a long term relationship. I still think it's a great opportunity for you. LA was a great place to be as a single, 20 something...you are young, unincumbered by children (or having to worry about school systems) and therefore your timing is the best. Not everyone is a size 2 either (and believe me, I lived at the beach and saw all shapes and sizes). You know, this move doesn't have to be permanent...you just have to weigh what you might lose out on if you move...
BTW, I'm back east again but I don't regret my 5 years in LA one bit...besides, met my hubby there! Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:48 AM

Take a deep breath and listen to Betsy. Please don't let a boyfriend limit your opportunity to leave PA for CA. If he's right for you it should work out no matter where each of you is located. At the age of 23, you've been handed a wonderful opportunity to experience life in a beautiful setting and a different culture. Go for it!

I left VA for CA when I was a little older than you are and have few regrets. Think about why you applied for the job in the first place and make the change for those reasons. It's not difficult to travel coast-to-coast and tickets are often less than $200 RT. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Betsy and karvenk (and anyone else) deal with not knowing anyone in the area? My family and friends wont be there to help me with the little things (like picking me up after i take my car to get inspected)
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:43 PM

Illusion, just do what you did on this board--reach out! Find an apartment in an area where there are a lot of young people, join a church or synagogue, join a professional organization, volunteer in your new community, go out after work with your colleagues, etc., etc. It's true that you'll probably miss your family and the things they do for you at first, but singles away from home tend to look out for each other. By starting out in Sac'to, you'll be in the swing of things by the time you get to LA. Buy your airline ticket home for the holidays as soon as you get to CA so you'll have a trip home to look forward to. Invite your boyfriend out after you get settled.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:45 PM

By the way, the auto repair shops have shuttles out here (SF area). Drop your car off in the morning and they'll take you to work and pick you up in the afternoon. No problemo.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:57 PM

Ditto to all my local SoCal peeps.

LA (and the surrounding areas) are pretty amazing. I actually think everyone is pretty nice and outgoing. I live south of LA in "The OC" and trust me, if you judged me by the TV show, you'd be way off!

I think you'll find that meeting people out here is actually really easy. A lot of people are transplants and willing to help out fellow newbies - as long as you're nice and outgoing. Good luck with your decision!

p.s. And, if you miss the snow, in the winter, all you have to do is drive an hour to the ski slopes and have all the snow you want, then come back home and have a drink beachside in the evening. Gotta love LA!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 03:07 PM

Yep, I was totally on my own. Had met some guys at Club Med Cancun who told me to come and check out the area first (so I did) and then stayed with one temporarily until I found a place. But I was definitely on my own. Not always easy but a good lesson at that age. Looked up sone old college acquaintances and any other names from my past I could remember. BTW, I knew I wanted to be by the beach (specifically Hermosa or Redondo)so I picked up the local rag, The Daily Breeze and found someone with a beach apt looking for a roommate. There's plenty of listings, some for apts to rent, others for roommates etc. I liked the roommate idea because we hit it off and I was able to network through her and her friends...
Hope this helps somewhat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -