Reload this Page >

Weekly hotel rate in New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Jessie

We have three students plan to drive car from Illinois to New York City. In order to save money, we reserve Hayden Hall Hotel which is located in 79th Street and the weekly rate is $500 plus tax.
Becaue this is the first time we travel New York and then we plan to stay there for more than 7 days and travel more completely.

Therefore, I have several questions:
1. Is that 79th is a safe location?
2. Would someone have another suggestion about the hotel? We would like to have private bath.

Thanks a lot!

Jessie

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:59 PM
fsadf

79th and what cross street? How'd you find this place? $500/wk is kinda cheap for NYC. Might be a horror story. (Have you ever seen the movie "Big" or "Midnight Cowboy"? "Taxi Driver"? Might try priceline.com for a good deal and a safe place

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Jessie

the hotel's location is 117West 79St.
you can chek the hotel's website
http://www.haydenhall.com/index.htm
And , please don't scare me~~~

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:22 PM
asfasd

Location is Upper West Side and 79th street is a very busy cross street but the neighborhood is good/yupified. 117 is around Columbus AVe, i think. All hotels in NYC have the potential to be a rip0ff. even expensive ones. So my advice is insist on seeing the room before you pay the money and have a backup plan.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:09 AM
Howard

The area is a safe one, so you have no concerns on that score.
As for how good it is, keep in mind that at $500 for a week in NYC, don't expect the Plaza or Four Seasons! That is an incredible price for NYC. Check the place out carefully. But, don't be put off by some of "scare" comments made on this thread.
You say you want a private bath, but you didn't say how much you want to spend!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:57 AM
Frank

Jessie: Looks like you found a real bargin. I look at the Hayden Hall website and the rooms look nice for the price. It doesn't appear that the hotel is air conditioned but if you are not comming in summer it doesn't matter and for the price you are paying guess you can't expect a/c. Since the hotel is part of a chain as indicated on the website I would have a little more confidence regarding their claims. I noted a couple of good comments on other websites also. As everyone has indicated, the location, while not in the heart of the tourist area, is excellant and as safe an area as you can get in NYC. I say go for it, you might also want to check prices at Habitat on East 57th Street, they are generally geared toward students and foreign travelers.

Enjoy.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 08:49 AM
qf

Let me dispel any doubts you have about the neighborhood. It is in an area called the Upper West Side and the hotel is in a very good area. It is located near the corner of W.79th and Columbus. Cross Columbus and you are at the back of Natural History museum. Most of the buildings on 79th are of pre WW II vintage with a few buildings that have been constructed after WW II. This is a high rent area.

The hotel is a seven story building. In its past life I believe it was a residency hotel. With the booming economy many residency hotels changed over to transient hotels. The Hayden is currently undergoing renovation and I was told it won’t be completely redone for some time. The rooms are not air conditioned but when renovation is done all will be air conditioned.

I walked by the hotel earlier today and did walk in. The lobby is small and clean. Noticed only one elevator.

Plenty of restaurants in the immediate area. Nearest subway station is at 79th and Broadway - two long blocks away. Using Times Square as a focal point the hotel is about 1 3/4’s of a mile due north.

You mentioned driving into the city. On street parking is available but you would have to play the “alternate side of the street” game. For example, no parking is allowed on one side of the street from 11 to 2pm on Monday and Friday and on the other side from 11 to 2 on Tuesday and Thursday. If you were to park the car on the Monday/Friday side at 2 pm on Monday the car would not have to be moved until 11 am on Friday. 24 hour garage parking in the area would cost close to $40 a daily. Finding on street parking at other times of the day is difficult so if you get a parking spot don't move the car unless absolutely necessary. You can go anywhere you want in the city using public transportation.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:26 AM
Frank

Topping for Rebecca.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:04 PM
Rebecca

Thanks for topping Frank! Both the Habitat and Hayden Hall sound good. I called and Hayden is for $90 per night. Habitat is $119.95 ($159 for private bath) Both of these prices are for double occupancy. I also found out about the Belnord Hotel. Has anyone heard of this? It's also a good deal. I'm assuming the area is pretty much the same as the Hayden hotel as it is located at 209 West 87th Street. Is it ok for me to assume that it is a safe area like the others have stated on this post? Please let me know. Also if you know what is around that area. I have limited it to these three. Thank you!!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 03:50 AM
Rqf

Belnord - nice looking property from the outside. Between Broadway and Amsterdam
Ave. Subway station is at 86th Street and Broadway. Plenty of restaurants in the area. Lincoln Center a little of over 1 mile south. Natural History Museum less than a 15 minute walk.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Frank

Jessie, Did you survive your stay at Hayden Hotel? Gotta know, I head good things and I'll be there for New Years.