Weekend trips from New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be leaving for USA soon, I'll be living and working near New York City. Later in the year I'll be able to travel for an extended period of time, but in the mean-time I'd like to take a few weekend trips. I'm already planning on going to Niagra Falls and Washington DC. What other places should I visit? I'll either be driving myself, catching a bus or flying. I'm interested in seeing cities, nature, historical sites or experience the culture of places.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:27 AM

Boston and Philadelphia!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:42 AM

Baltimore, Md and Newport/Providence RI. There are definitely more sights in Boston and Philadelphia though.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM

What exactly do you mean by "near" NYC. That's apretty big area - and recos could change (it can easily take 2 hours to drive from suburbs in one direction through the city to subrubrs in another direction).

Niagara Falls is kind of far for a weekend - abut an 8 hour drive each way.

Philly (1.5 to 2 hours) or Boston (4 hours) are a lot closer and have muchmore to see/do.

DC is also kind of far for a weekend (unless you hop a train at 5:30 Fri afternoon and return on one 5am Mon morning).
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Sorry - no one has mentiond the Hamptons - a fantastic area of great beaches, interesting museums and lots of wineries that you can do in a weekend (but better May or Sept than midsummer to avoid the hordes).
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Metro North has both day trips and overnight trips listed here if you don't want to worry about driving.
http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/getaways.htm

If you're interested in wine, there are tours you can take to the North Fork of Long Island to visit vineyards. The Hamptons on the South Fork has 3 vineyards and some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Old Westbury Gardens and Sagamore Hill are also on Long Island.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM

Cooperstown, NY
Litchfield County, CT
Clay Pitts Rd., East Northport, NY (nothing special except it's my street)
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Hudson Valley Region, NY
Saratoga Springs, NY
Adirondak Mountains, NY
Berkshire Region, MA
Southern Vermont
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Hyde Park (FDR estate) and the Vanderbuilt Mansion

Beaches in Connecticut

Mystic Seaport
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

regarding Niagra Falls... I'm planning on flying either to Buffalo or Toronto, it's only about an hour and a half by plane. I'll check out the Falls and whichever city I'm in.

I'll be staying about an hour's drive north of New York City.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 04:21 AM

The Berkshire Hills in Massachusetts, esp in the summer when there are many music and dance festivals. You will have to hire a car.

The Hudson Valley from NYC to Albany. Gorgeous views (like the Rhine) and much of historic interest (West Point, Roosevelt's home at Hyde Park,etc). Edgy arts at Dia Foundation in Poughkeepsie. Antique and art deco and midcentury modern furniture in Hudson, where the main street has been given over to antique shops. This trip is easily combined with Berkshires and Litchfield County, CT, if you have a week.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM

I have no idea why you would visit Baltimore other than you have some perverse fascination with the Orioles and need to see a ball game at Camden Yards.

If you're not from the US originally, you should definitely visit DC, Philly and Boston (on different weekends). Boston and Philly have numerous historical sites related to the American Revolution. Boston has the MFA and the USS Constitution too; Philly is also notable for the Mint and the Science museum and its great cheesesteaks. Boston also has Bostonians, but they're nearly tolerable in small doses.

DC has a huge number of top museums in addition to the various monuments, memorials and government buildings. If you can figure out a random Friday to take off from work, you should go to DC in the morning and spend Friday there before the crowds descend for the weekend. Because you'll be staying an hour north of the city, Boston and the various areas of Connecticut and upstate New York are more convenient. But any visitor to the US should see DC.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Hi Michelle, you will LOVE living in the NORTHEAST! It has plenty to see and do.
I recommend:

Newport, RI
Longwood Gardens/ Dupont Mansions, PA/DE
Boston, MA
Nantucket/Cape Cod, MA
Mohonk House, NY
Cooperstown, NY
Philadelphia (great flower show in March!!)

happy travels!

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:44 AM

<< I have no idea why you would visit Baltimore other than you have some perverse fascination with the Orioles and need to see a ball game at Camden Yards. >>

Baltimore has an excellent aquarium, science museum, art museum, boat rides and a seaport - just enough to do in a weekend.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Not to mention Babe Ruth's boyhood home (which I guess BigRuss would consider a perverse fascination with baseball!)