Weekend Trip NYC with family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We made a quick weekend trip to New York City and I wanted share our trip report since I received a lot of good tips from the board. Mr. and Mrs. Sprin2, their two boys (5 and turned 8 during the weekend!), grandma, Mrs. Sprin�s sister and 12 year old niece. We�ve visited NYC a couple of times before � the older boy and niece like to meet there to celebrate their April birthdays, so we don�t feel like we have to cram too much in.

Stayed at the Wellington (7th Ave. and 55th St.). We had a suite--queen bedroom and sleep sofa in sitting room. It had a small kitchenette and a nice bathroom. We didn�t hear any other guests. We�ve also stayed at the Park Central, across 7th. Grandma likes this area with kids since it is quieter than Times Square. Unfortunately our closest playground Heckscher Playground at the 7th Ave. entrance to Central Park is undergoing renovations. Don�t know when it�ll be finished, but it certainly needed it. Boys did get to climb on the rocks by the playground, and that�s really what they like to do anyway.

The weather report was ominous for the weekend so we tweaked our plans on the train ride to NYC Friday morning. Had planned to walk the Brooklyn Bridge on Sat. but decided to do it Friday afternoon to avoid rain. Took the subway to Brooklyn and when we got out it was spitting. Decided to skip the highly regarded ice cream, and since it was mid-afternoon we�d already had lunch so we didn�t get pizza either. The bridge walkway is right by the subway entrance and it is well marked. The rain held off and the walk over the bridge is spectacular! We loved it and on our next trip we all agreed to spend the day walking Williamsburg, Manhattan AND Brooklyn (with ice cream and pizza stops).

Wandered north past Foley Square, site of the African American Burial Ground. The boys found a marker on the ground and that was a kick since we had read so much about the archaeological excavations there a few years ago. The boys got their ice cream at the Union Square branch of the Heartland Brewery; parents got a nice IPA. Shopped at Forbidden Planet and the boys loaded up with comics and cards. Unfortunately we just missed the Forbes Gallery; it closes at 4:00.

Continued the trek north and happened upon a small playground at Madison Square Park (5th Ave and 23rd St. right by the Flatiron Bldg). Decided to eat dinner at Benihana (47 W. 56th). It was great, lots of kids of ALL ages, quick, tasty, and very nice staff. The boys loved it and met some kids their age at our table.

Sister and niece arrived after boys in bed so they ate at Molyvos (871 7th Ave.) in the lobby of the Wellington. Sister is a foodie and she had high ratings for the good Greek food.

Ate breakfast both days at Le Pain Quotidien (7th Ave. and 58th St.). We love this place, especially the breadbasket; always take the uneaten pieces for a snack later. Split up for Saturday we took boys to Toys R Us in Times Square, and Midtown Comics. We finally got to ride the ferris wheel, the line has always been too long. Stocked up on MORE comics and cards � thanks for the tip about both comic stores. The Pokemon store in Rockefeller Center is closed and will reopen as a Nintendo spot soon. Others went to MOMA. Grandma is a member so they got to skip the line and got in for a discount. Grandma says it is well worth the price of membership.

After lunch at Cucina & Co. in Rockefeller Center (it was ok), niece and grandma went shopping (H&M, Gap, shoes). Others decided to seek out the playground at Pier 51 on Hudson River Park across from Jane St. The new development on the Hudson River is gorgeous and very well done, many clean bathrooms. The playground was ok, not great for older kids, but there was stuff for him to do. It has lots of water features so is probably better in the summer. Toddler playscape is separate and large sandbox with toys, neat boat theme. We walked along the river and cut through the Village for the 6:00 showing of Cookin� at Minetta Lane Theater. Kids loved Cookin� and if was serendipitous we�d eaten at Benihana the night before. Adults enjoyed it too, although it wasn�t as good as Stomp.

Ate dinner next door to theater at Bellavitae (24 Minetta Ln). Very nice Italian although we were surprised to discover it is all small plates. Helpful staff happily made pasta with butter and garlic for the kids and sang Happy Birthday to the older one. All our dishes were great. It was a great trip and the forecasted rain never happened.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 02:52 AM

What a great trip! Sounds like you all had a really nice time. Isn't Le Pain Quotidien wonderful? I have not stayed at the Wellington in years (no particular reason, I just haven't) how was your suite? Have they done any remodeling?
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:38 AM
bc

sprin2
I would also like to know how you liked the Wellington. We have stayed there each year since 1997 and have always been satisfied---not fancy by a long shot, but great for the price. I have seen so many negative reviews on Tripadvisor recently that it has worried me. We are staying there Memorial Day week and some of the reviews make it sound just dreadful! What was your opinion?
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

This was our first visit to the Wellington. We had two suites and a single room. One of the suites was ready at noon when we arrived so we had a place to put our stuff. The single had a king size bed and was decent size. The suites had a large sitting room with sofa bed and a decent size bedroom with a queen bed. The bathroom was off the bedroom and was decent size, some counter space but not a lot. The kitchenette was in the hallway. Windows opened, although we had no view. All three rooms were recently renovated and very clean / new furnishings.

There seemed to be a lot of tour groups staying in the hotel. We did not hear ANYTHING when we were in our room, and didn't hear anything either morning. It was really quiet. We were in the back part of the hotel, walked through the lobby to a second set of elevators to get to our room. This area of the lobby is being renovated. It is nice having the coffee shop in the hotel, although we didn't eat there and the Greek restaurant was very good. We don't spend much time in the room, but we found the Wellington to be a fine hotel, especially for the location / price / suites, and we would return again.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 01:44 PM

sprin2,
Thanks for the address of Le Pain Quotdien! I had it on my list of breakfast places, but not the one on 7th Ave and 58th Street, which is much more convenient for us. Le Pain Quotidien is a favorite of ours when we go to Paris

Sandy
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Great report. Glad to hear you were satisfied at the Wellington. I always think it's such a great location.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the Wellington update!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:56 PM

I stayed at the Wellington this past fall when I was traveling in and out of town and hadn't moved into my new apartment. It was a last minute deal on hotels.com; the room was a bit small -- but that was not a problem, considering the deal. It was very clean and quiet. The wireless internet was great. Loved the coffee shop, too.