What are beach and hotel conditions around Melbourne?C

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a message yesterday asking for recommendations on the east coast of Florida, and only got one response, which was not helpful. I did a little Google search for beach front hotels around Melbourne and/or Cocoa Beach. I guess I didn't realize until then that the area around Melbourne was so seriously damaged during last years hurricanes. Does anybody here know how the town, beach and more importantly, the beachfront hotels have recovered. I know that the Hilton is still closed at least until the end of 2005. My wife and kids have their hearts set on a beachfront hotel somewhere within two hours of DW. Any suggestions. What about the west coast of Florida?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Most of the restaurants and attractions in and near Mlb. Bch. have recovered from the hurricane damage (though there's still some clean-up to be done) and the state has restored most of the beaches. As you probably know, there are no beachfront hotels right on Mlb. Bch.

And as you noted, some of the beachfront hotels near Mlb. are still closed for repairs. One that I think is still open is the Ramada in Satellite Beach. Sorry, can't comment on hotels north of there and heading toward Cocoa.

Try searching for hotels in Indialantic, Indian Harbor Beach and Satellite Beach if you're still set on trying to find a place near Mlb. Bch. I can tell you that, from my observation, the beachfront properties in Vero (south of Mlb.) got hit even harder and are still being repaired, so you may want to avoid looking in that area.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:29 AM

The Radisson in Melbourne is still open, however the Hilton and Holiday Inn are both still closed for repairs, as is the Ramada in Satellite Beach. Don't know specific hotels, but try more towards Cocoa Beach.
Most of the restaurants and other beachside ammenities are open. The good news is that the beach refurbishment is going really well and it looks like a real beach again! The west coast has nicer beaches - whiter sand, but no waves (in my experience).
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Kriskate:
The now closed Quality Suites on Melbourne Beach recommended that I try to get reservations at a place in Cocoa called the Wakulla Suites. They said it is well liked by families. It is a beach front property, a little older but supposedly well maintained mom and pop operation. Do you know anything about it?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:02 PM

My family has stayed at the Wakulla multiple times. It's an older place with all two bedroom units. It's not very modern but its clean and it's nice to have two bedrooms and a kitchen. Ask for a pool view room as they have gorgeous landscaping around the pool. They also have a toddler pool and grills.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:32 PM

We just returned from Melbourne/Satellite Beach last week. The only oceanfront hotel from Indialantic to Satellite that is open is the Radisson, and it has gotten some pretty bad reviews on TripAdvisor. We stayed there 2 yrs. ago and it was ok but needed some updating then. Their rates are sky high, but I'm assuming that's because they are the only game in town. We stayed in a condo next to the Ramada, and one wall of it was still gone. I called a couple of hotels in Cocoa Beach looking for a Sunday brunch and they all said that their main restaurants were closed for hurricane repairs. Driving past them, it didn't appear that oceanview hotels got you as near to the beach as the ones in Melbourne Bch/Indialantic or Satellite do. Most of the condos only do weekly rentals or longer.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Stayed at the Radisson in Melbourne Beach 2 wks ago. We had an oceanfront suite with a balcony. It was a decent size and clean. The outside of the building needs paint and some of the balconies are still damaged. They are working on this now.Had a great stay and would go there again!!