Search

Weekend in Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Mari

Weekend in Phoenix

Hi! I have a wedding in Phoenix in February and would like to make a long weekend out of the trip. Any tips as things to do, good attractions and things to do? Also would like to know the average temperature in February. Never been to Arizona so this is new to me.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 07:45 PM
Sandy

What kinds of things do you like to do? Night-clubbing, fancy restaurants, country & western bars, shopping, golf, museums, things that involve driving, visiting resorts, history, natural history, etc.?

Typical February wear is long pants and a light/medium jacket. It's almost always sunny.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 08:45 AM
lili

we enjoyed hiking up camelback mountain - moderate hike (2-4 hours) depends on your in shapeness - great views of the city and surrounding landscape
there's also montezuma castle on the way up to flagstaff, or casa grande on the way to tuscon.
if you're into frank lloyd wright, his studio is in phoenix and open to the public for touring

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 09:13 AM
xx

There's a very nice botantical garden in Phoenix which is worth a visit.

I'd also recommend a drive out to Carefree. Neat little desert town. Try the Chili Pepper Beer while you're out by the microbrewery.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 09:39 AM
sandy

If you have a free day, you might consider taking a drive up to Sedona to see the town and the red-rock formations. The high desert is a lot prettier that around the Phoenix area.
One post mentioned F.L. Wright's "studio." I think he meant Wright's winter home, which is about a half hour north of Phoenix and called Taliesin (sp?) West. They run a nice tour there, and it's worth a couple of hours of your time.
To end one of your days, try heading over to the Phoenician to have a drink on the terrace at sunset.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 10:40 AM
April

I strongly agree with the above poster's recommendation to take a day trip to Sedona - it's about a 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive from Phoenix. Drive along Oak Creek Canyon - it's gorgeous. Also along the way are plenty of places to hike, if you're interested in that. The weather is slightly cooler in Sedona - but not by much, so you wouldn't have to bring additional clothes. If you're into golfing, there are some great golf courses that are perfect to golf at in February. As far as the temp in Feb - the average high is 70 degrees with the low around 45 at night (quite a spread - but the daytime temp is to die for!) Visit www.azcentral.com for events happening at that time also - it is the website for our newspaper. Have a great time!

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 04:02 PM
David

Here's a second vote for the botanical gardens. It's not terribly far from the airport and contains vegetation and creatures unlike many you may have seen before. Also, the beer mentioned by Dr. X below is called "Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer". This is simply one of my all-time favorite beers and is not to be missed (warning: it's also not for the faint-hearted!).

While in Cave Creek I highly recommend a visit ot the "Horny Toad" for lunch or Dinner. It may look touristy, however, they have been serving THE BEST kettle-fried chicken since I was five-years old. I was just back there last year and even though I had bragged about it for twenty years, the people I took all agreed it was the best they'd had.

A couple of other recommendations:

--The Old Door (or perhaps it's just called "The Door") in Tempe. Great Italian food and great jazz. Ask your hotel (or cab driver) where it is--definitely worth a visit.

--Sans Souci. A wonderful little French restaurant (also in Cave Creek) on Bella Vista Ave.

Have Fun!

David

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 11:12 AM
xxx

ttt

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Sarah

I would also recommend driving up to Sedona for the day. If you do go, either have lunch at the Yavapai Restaurant at Enchantment Resort (you'd need to make reservations ahead of time), or at Heartline Cafe. Enchantment Resort is in Boynton Canyon; surroundings are phenomenal. The Heard Museum has a good collection of Native American art. Second a drink at The Phoenician - on their outside terrace. Also second "Horny Toad" restaurant, if you go to Cave Creek, and Taliesin West, if you are a Frank Lloyd Wright fan. Other good restaurants in Phoenix/Scottsdale -
Mary Elaine's at the Phoenician, T. Cook's at Royal Palms, Roxsand's, Lon's at the Hermosa Inn, Barmouche, Razz's.
You might enjoy brunch at the Golden Swan Restaurant at the Hyatt Regency Resort at Gainey Ranch - beautiful grounds. Of course, if you play golf there are myriad courses.If you like shopping, Borgata, El Pedregal, or Biltmore Fashion Park are good choices -
not typical "malls." Enjoy your time here!