Weekend in Grand Haven

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend in Grand Haven

Does anyone know a great place for a family to stay for a long weekend in/near Grand Haven, MI? Last year, we went to the area for a long weekend and everyone loved it and wants to go again this summer. We stayed in Holland, but really liked the beach and boardwalk in Grand Haven better. I'd love to stay at an inn or B&B in that area this time, but need to find a place that allows kids. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 07:40 AM

Try www.grandhavenchamber.org for a fairly good listing of rentals.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Addie.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 02:03 PM

melh:

I haven't been to the places you mentioned, but I am collecting info because I'd like to do a trip up that coast in Michigan sometime in the near future. Here's what little info I have for that area - Wonder if the Harbor House is nice:

HOLLAND
· Holland State Park (great beach)
· 8th street shopping (similar to Naples FL)
· Windmill Island (restored dutch community)
· B&B off Lake Macatawa called Shaded Oaks - very upscale, excellent breakfast and quiet retreat
· Well kept state parks – nice beaches
· Tunnel Park – best beach

GRAND HAVEN
· Harbor House quaint little inn directly north of Holland with large porch that overlooks the channel - www.harborhousegh.com
· Well kept state parks – nice beaches
· its waterfront fountain and light show is the largest in the world

SOUTH HAVEN
· Yelton Manor
· Clementine's
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, nightowl, for sharing! You listed some interesting things that I was unaware of!
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:48 AM

I live in Muskegon, 10 miles north of Grand Haven. The Harbor House hotel you mentioned is very nice. It is right in downtown GH on the corner by the musical fountain. The fountain is rather unique. You look across the channel and see the fountain on the hillside. GH has lot of little touristy shops on their main street. It's actually a rather small town, but big on tourism. There are also many other hotels in the area. The Best Western in Gr. Haven in nice, so is the Days Inn, but not at the waterfront. There are many Mom & Pop type motels right along the main boulevard.

The lake Michigan beaches are beautiful all along the coast, from Saugatuck all the way to Macinaw Island at the top of the state.

Muskegon is also right on the big lake. We have a great air show this 4th of July at our local airport with the Blue Angels flying in. Also the last week of June/1st week of July is Summer Celebration in Muskegon. They turn a park that is on Muskegon lake (which also has a channel to lake Michigan) into party central. A different band plays each night, theres a midway with lots of rides, a terrific art & craft fair, lots of food booths etc.

Just north of Muskegon about 10 miles is Michigan Adventure Amusement park. They are owned by the Cedar Point people. Not as big as Cedar Point, but great roller coasters and thrill rides. The other half of the park is a HUGE waterpark area with lots of water slides, wavepool, etc. One admission price gets you into both parts of the park.

The state parks are very nice. Muskegon has Hoffmaster State Park with beaches, and a wonderful nature trail that can be hiked. It goes to the top of the high dunes where the view is awesome!