Where to go around Michigan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Michigan this summer for around 3 weeks and want to put an itinary together. I will be spending some time with family in the Detroit area but wondered if anyone has any other suggestions on what to do and where to go. I don't mind travelling to surrounding states. Can anyone advise?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:02 PM

Where are you coming from, and what interests you? What types of activities do you want to do, how will you be traveling, how long will you have to travel? Have you ever been to Michigan or the surrounding states before? Is it just you (and what is your age), or will there be others with you (how old are they?).

A bit more info will get you plenty of good recommendations I'm sure!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 02:08 PM

I am not familiar with the Detroit Area. But a visit to Mackinaw Island is worth the trip. If you have time and like the scenery a trip across the bridge to the UP is very nice. Paradise has a shipwreck museum and also close by is Tahquamenon Falls which is a beautiful place to visit. Also, Traverse City in the summer is lots of fun. Lots of hotels in this area. Stay there a few days and travel around to the small towns in the area like Elk Rapids, Leland, Glen Arbor, etc. A trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes is nice - they have a dune that everyone likes to climb. Silver Lake/Ludington Area is also nice. In Silver Lake you can go on a Dune Ride which is fun to do once! Grand Haven, Holland, Saugatuck, South Haven are quaint towns on the Lake with piers. Holland has Dutch Village and the State Park, also the downtown area is nice but is a few miles from the beach. Grand Haven has a nice beach area very close to their downtown. Saugatuck is a quaint place. South Haven has nice beaches - - eat at Clementine's downtown and definately stop for Ice Cream at Sherman's Dairy!! Grand Rapids is a nice place for entertainment The VanAndel Arena always has something going on. John Ball Zoo is a nice small Zoo, you can ride a camel. Frederick Meijer Gardens is also very nice, Grand Rapids children's museum is nice for young kids.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:22 PM

Agree with Rhl'l suggestion about Traverse City. Also consider Ann Arbor -beautiful university town with lots of arts. Cross the Detroit River and you'll visit a new country - lovely Canada. Near Dearborn is Henry Ford's Greenfield Village - worth a visit!

Definately spend some time on a lakeshore of one of the beautiful Great Lakes!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:49 PM

Where are you travelling from? If you are coming from the west, check out Harbor Country between the Indiana border and Benton Harbor moving east toward Detroit to Paw PAw and Kalamazoo. Harbor Country has great beach towns, wineries, restaurants. Also, South Haven, Saugatuck, and Holland , Saugatuck especially if an artist colony type area interests you. Some websites to check out are swmichigan.org and harborcountry.com.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:27 PM

I would definitely recommend Mackinac Island--a quaint island about 3 hrs north of detroit--where there are no autos, just horse and buggies and bicycles. It has an historic fort, shops, restaurants, great trails for biking, walking, buggy tours etc. It is also famous for fudge--yum. If the hotel prices are too steep, stay in nearby Mackinaw City.
I also agree that Saugatuck and Grand Haven are great for beach/harbor communities(located on West side of state). Traverse City in NW Michigan is also a great beach/harbor community and the area is also famous for its wineries.
If you like amusement parks, Cedar Point is in nearby Sandusky, Ohio and it has some of the greatest coasters in the world.
You're really not very far from Chicago either which makes for an awesome summer weekend with its lakefront attractions and Michigan avenue shopping scene.
Hope this helps!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:57 AM
ltt

went to traverse city last year. loved it. very beautiful beach outside of the hotel - stayed at sugar beach.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:51 PM

Jodie11, please give us an idea of what you like to do.

Keith
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 01:51 PM

Definitely go to the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn. The story I heard was that Henry Ford told his staff to "buy one of everything"; it has the most amazing collection of historical cars, trains, household appliences, jewelry, etc. My explanation isn't doing it justice - take a look at their website http://www.hfmgv.org/. Also owned by the museum is Greenfield Village, which is an outdoor "living" museum. They moved Edison's birthplace, the Wright brother's bicycle shop, etc there. It is really, really cool. If you have time, definately also sign up for the River Rouge Plant Tour. You get to go on the floor of a the actual car factory! It is pricy, but definately worth it. If you tried to do all three in one day you would be EXHAUSTED. Pick your top two and have a blast.

I'd be remiss, if I didn't also suggest that you come to Ann Arbor. This is a great college town, lots to see and do with a vibrant downtown. Summers are GREAT. You didn't give details when you will be in Michigan, but if it is in May/June check out the Ann Arbor Summer Festival (http://www.annarborsummerfestival.org/index_2006.html) with free outdoor concerts and movies every night. If you'll be around in mid-July, check out the Ann Arbor Art Fairs (http://www.annarbor.org/artfair2005/). For four days, 100,000 people a day come to town to see the art booths. It is four fairs combined, and the booths go as far as you can see!
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi
Thanks for this, really useful. I am 26 and will be travelling with my husband. Nothing is out of the question. We love activities such as mountain biking, walking and taking in the surrounding scenery. We are into sport and would like to go and see some local sporting events when we are there. Henry Ford museum sounds great, especially because my husband is a big car fan. Like most girls, i also like shopping. We will be coming from England
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 01:37 PM

You mentioned that your husband is a "car" fan & you both enjoy sports.
Michigan Motor Speedway will be running their annual Nascar races (the second set in August)on Fathers Day, June 12th.
For ticket prices & more information, go to their website or try www.nascar.com for schedules.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Local sporting events (other than nascar, which I know nothing about) will be mainly limited to baseball. Comerica Park in Detroit is a fun venue for a game, even though the tigers are not so great a team.

If you make it to Ann Arbor, take a peak inside the University of Michigan football stadium - it's the biggest in the country, holding 107,501 fans (officially, more like 112,000 unofficially). Usually you can find a gate open for a walk inside.

There is quite a bit of mountain biking in the SE Michigan area, but I don't know specifics. You might find info with a google search, though.

If you make it over to the Lake Michigan side, there are lots of state parks up the coast with great sand dune hiking that you'd probably really enjoy. Check out the state park website through a google search. I've personally really enjoyed Muskegon State Park, but I think some of the parks in the southern part of the shore also have great hiking.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 04:30 PM

My husband and I aren't able to get away for long periods of time during the summer due to our business, but when we get the chance we drive up the coast of lake michigan to Grand Haven - it would be a great stop on the way to Traverse City. There is a State Park with a Lighthouse at the end of a very long pier, and one of the best beaches in Michigan (IMHO). We stay at the Harbour House which is a B&B. It has great rooms (large and small, depending on your budget - they even have a cottage that you can rent). You can walk anywhere from the B&B and, you can eat your breakfast on the screened-in porch that overlooks the "main drag".

Also every evening there is a laser light show that you can watch from your room (if you have the right view) or the porch. I highly recommend if you are interested to make your reservations asap - it fills fast!

http://www.harborhousegh.com/
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:39 PM

I've got a fun event for you. The Big Mac Shoreline Spring Scenic Bike Tour on June 10 and 11 at Mackinaw City.

On Saturday there is a choice of 25, 50, 75 & 100 mile loops, about 1/3 of the route being on Lake Michigan. The 75 & 100 mile loops including Cross Village and the wonderful tunnel of trees on a cliff overlooking Lake Michigan. If that is a bit far too ride, you can arrange on your own to start out from Harbor Springs and do about 50 miles but still see the best.
y
The provide support and the best food of any organized ride I have been on. Including home baked cookies, and a cookout at the last stop.

On Sunday morning you get to ride over the 5 mile Mackinaw Bridge and take a ferry back.

Keith
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Hi Jodie!

Glad to hear that you are coming to my home state for a visit. I live "up north" and love the natural beauty of the area. Definitely go to Mackinac Island - one of the greatest places in Michigan IMHO. You can rent bicycles and bike around the shoreline (8 miles) or through the center of the island for a more challenging ride. The ferry trip across from the mainland is a little pricey, but worth it. There are great B&Bs on the island if you want to stay and I recommend the Pub & Oyster Bar and Horn's for dinner and entertainment. However - to disagree with katethetraveler, the island is about 5 hours north of Detroit - trust me, I make the trip to Detroit quite often and I drive pretty fast, LOL!
If you are in the area and are interested in history, Fort Michilimackinac is somewhat interesting.
Looking for great shopping up north? Check out the gaslight district in Petoskey. Lots of boutiques and cute shops (Harbor Springs across the bay has some great shopping as well). You could also visit the Bay Harbor resort area (just west of Petoskey) for shopping and amazing dining - Sagamore's is outstanding.
I agree that Traverse City is also wonderful. Early July is the National Cherry Festival - the town is packed, but great fun - and there is great shopping in the downtown area. Many small lakes around the area and tons of outdoor recreation opportunities.
Now for my favorite - totally off the beaten path is my home area. We have the only named waterfall in the lower peninsula - Ocqueoc Falls. It is located off M-68 about 8 miles east of Onaway which is about 20 miles east of I-75 exit 310. There are good signs to find it and there are great wilderness trails along the river and in the woods around the falls. Simply beautiful and nature at its best. If you are passing through Onaway, stop at Manzana's Deli for lunch. Hope this helps!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:02 AM

Head over to Ontario and go to Point Pelee. Take the river, lake route. This is a day trip from the Detroit area and is wonderful for bike trips, etc. It is a migratory point for all sorts of wild life. Monarch Butterflies included. You could then swing up to Stratford, a lovely town in Central Ontario and see a play or two with some great dining. Then head up to Mackinaw approaching the Canadian side.

Mackinaw in lovely but in the summer it is seldom a 3 hr drive up the center of the state. I think if I were going through Michigan, I'd rather go to Sleeping Bear Dunes. Some great hotels and restaurants are in this area near the Grand Traverse Bay.

LMF
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:26 AM

With light traffic, the Mackinac Straits are about 4 hours north of Detroit. 3 hours from Lansing.

Keith
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 06:05 AM
JJ5

Don't know why this old one was revived, but looking at the great posts I thought if anyone were to use it for any real overview that rural, vineyard, fruit orchard MI is dynamite and somewhat omitted.

From years of going to small lakes all over MI this is my don't forget list:

Mendon (B&B here is most historic I've ever come across in the USA, personally)
Amish Country in that area is more closely authentic than other areas in the USA, IMHO, except for maybe those Men. communities in Iowa. Mendon Country Inn owner will coordinate dinner within the Amish community if you schedule ahead.

Kalamazoo- check out the railroad station "mall" area- beautiful gardens in warm weather months.

SW Michigan Museum on campus near Dowagiac- Best interactive museum for children I've ever seen yet myself in USA- they will even let the kids dress up in actual vintage 1800's clothes, and that's just one exhibit. Best for families with children between 5-15, IMHO- but my tiny ones still love it for 2 hours at a time.

Upper Lake Erie towns and a combo trip to Toronto would be interesting if you like big cities more than rural. But I do feel a week on a lake rental smack dab in the middle of the state or Northern parts of MI would be hard to pass up in summer. Those reservations would need to be made now in April. Many people rent the best a year ahead during the same weeks, but there are always web sites that will lead you to great MI lake rentals if you google.