Search

Weekend in Dallas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Rhonda

Weekend in Dallas

My family (husband and college-aged daughter) and I will be spending the upcoming weekend in Dallas. My daughter and I will be on our own during the day on Friday and would like some recommendations on which touristy things are worth seeing. My research so far tells me we should just go shopping or lay by the pool all day. Any suggestions? And, if we do shop (which is also good), where is the best place to waste a day? Would also love any suggestions for restaurants --- nice but not outrageous. Not Mexican (we're from Houston, so we have lots of Mexican).

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Christie

If you've never seen The Sixth Floor (JFK Museum), by all means go down to the West End and see it. It is excellent, and the museum has just opened a new floor of Pulitzer Prize winning photographs. The West End also has lots of good places to eat for lunch, and the Dallas World Aquarium is also within walking distance. It has an indoor rain forest that is just spectacular!

As for shopping, I'd say North Park Mall (Northwest Highway and 75) or Stonebriar Centre (Preston Road and Highway 121 in Frisco) are two of the area's best. You could also go up to downtown McKinney and hit the antique/craft stores there.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:13 AM
joey

Go to the corner of Ross and St Paul, next to the Dallas Museum of Art, and ride on the 100 year old antique trolley. It's free. The trolley will take you thru a charming pedestrian neighborhood, to a new shopping and residential area called The West Village - go to Paciugo's Gelato for some delicious ice cream.

Riding the trolley is an adventure in itself... the front windows will be open and the breeze will really feel great...

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:32 AM
OliveOyl

For really high end shopping, go to Highland Park Village. I also enjoy the variety of shops at Inwood Village, Inwood and Lovers southeast corner--some neat boutique type shops in both districts.

You'll need a car and a good map!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:42 AM
aceplace

Don't go to Dallas. Nothing to see.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Mychael

I just had some visiting relatives over from Connecticut and Boston and kept them entertained for about a week. They liked a lot of the things they saw, but one of the best was the Womens' museum in Fair Park...

Getting there might be a little tough... unless you drive... or you could always take a cab from downtown...

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Rhoda

Honey, the best place for shopping has got to be the Galleria... you can wander in and out of those shops all day. and if you do go there, try the Chinese at Uncle Tai's.