Must-See's in Dallas for first timer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings! I'll be in Dallas on business at the end of July and have a full day and two evenings on my own. I'd like to do a bit of sight seeing and would appreciate any advice on what to see in the limited time available. I'll be staying in Park Cities and am open to any and all suggestions that will help an east coast girl get a feel for the flavor of Dallas and Texas on a first visit to the Lone Star state. (PS - I'll have a car and wouldn't mind driving out of the city for something interesting)
Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:35 PM

Definitely see the JFK Museum and memorial at the Texas School Repository, the 6th Floor Museum - very moving. It is a MUST SEE. Wander around outside too and see the monuments etc. Plan to spend several hours there; you'll never forget it.

Other than that, we saw a rangers game and went to six flags. Wanted to see where 'dallas' the soap was filmed but we spent too much time at the 6th floor museum and ran out of time.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:14 PM

If you'll have a car, consider the short drive to Fort Worth. The Kimball Art Museum there is excellent, and the newly opened Museum of Modern Art is getting rave reviews. IMHO, FW is a whole lot nicer a place than Dallas, anyway. Outside Oak Lawn, maybe the West End, or the very upscale Highland Park, D is little more one big cookie cutter pre-fab, chain store suburb repeated over and over in different neighborhoods, conncted by horrible traffic. FW has a much more welcoming, far less pretentious ambience.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Jayne1973

Doing the JFK museum will give you a chance to look around downtown. The West End is a very touristy area down there, but I can't say it's a "must see." It wouldn't take long to have a look, though. There's a great Farmers Market in the general vicinity, with lots of Mexican imports as well as a huge variety of fruits, vegetables, and other things. Driving in the downtown area is somewhat confusing... lots of one way streets, etc. But most downtowns are like that anyway. You will need a good map and directions, for sure.
Dallas is probably best known for its shopping, and if you are into that, there are malls to fit any personality type. There's also a trendy area called West Village that has some posh shops and lots of restaurants that's also not far from downtown. Post again for more info if you are interested.
You *must* have some good Tex-Mex food while you are in Dallas, as well as a margarita. There are plenty of good places, preferrably non-chains.
To get an idea about what's going on and the restaurant choices in Dallas, check out this link: http://www.guidelive.com/
Seamus is right that Fort Worth has a lot to offer, but you may not have enough time on this trip.
Last but not least -- be prepared for HOT weather!

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:02 AM

The "JFK Museum" is properly known as "The Sixth Floor" and it is very well worth a visit. The Dallas World Aquarium (much more than an aquarium) is also worth a visit. If you're a young person, you will probably enjoy the nightlife in Deep Ellum (on the east side of downtown) more than the West End. Greenville Avenue also has lots of fun, unique bars and restaurants.

In Fort Worth, I love the Kimbell Art Museum and the National Cowgirl Museum, which are both in the cultural district. People keep saying good things about the Modern Art Museum, but I am just not into modern art, so I haven't been there yet.

DON'T go out to Southfork Ranch, where the "Dallas" TV show was filmed. It is a long drive North of town, and the tour is expensive and not worth it. BTDT.

Do be prepared for the heat!!!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:10 AM
tmh

While Ft Worth has more art museums, Dallas does have the DMA as well as the new Nasher Sculpture garden - quite wonderful and impressive. This is located downtown Dallas and convenient to the Park Cities.

Also, there is the Women's Museum which I found fascinating and well done; it's located near downtown in Fair Park.

Too see what Dallas is about, stop for a cocktail at The Mansion. While not a Lone Star look, it does show the glitz of Dallas or what they think is glitz.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:24 AM

Don't worry about driving downtown, it is one of the easiest to navigate in the USA! It's a big grid. Yes there are one way streets but it is logical and there is ample parking.
You could spend a whole day downtown.
Farmers Market is best done in the morning, then to the Longhorn sculptures near the convention center (what's the correct name for that sculpure group?) You could do Antares for lunch, which is the rotating restaurant at the Hyatt (yes, I know there is better food elsewhere but not better views)... it's the big lit ball towering over the SW corner of downtown. Then head to the 6th Floor, then the Aquarium or maybe the Nasher Sculpture Center. Finish up at Dragonfly at Hotel ZaZa for cocktails (if you are the hip type) or even the Mansion. If you are a foodie, head to Central Market at Lovers @ 75. Out of town foodies always LOVE that place!
Tons of stuff to do right around downtown and it's all easily accessible!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Ok, I currently live in dallas (for one more month, here are my picks. It depends what you want to experience-fashion, he haw, cookie cutter-esque family tourist crap, intellect / thinking, food/wine, Sports, gay or the infamous black shirt styled up metrosexual crowd?

1) JFK stuff-after stroll over to the downtown Neiman Marcus (yes it's a department store, but in the general area-but an interesting dept store if your into that).

2) Maybe an art museum - DMA or Kimbell, IMO the modern in Ft. Worth is NOT worth the coin (but I am not into modern art).

3) Texas Music? Venues to check out- Hermann Hall, Adair's, Texana Grill, etc.

Club's?
IMO I would avoid ZaZa. There are much better hotels for the money. I have stayed there a few times, parking is expensive, the restaurant is average (full of the late coming metrosexual crowd) and the hotel is just plain noisy on the weekends. It's great if you want to call the front desk every five minutes to tell them to shut the party off in the room next to you.

Warning-don't use your horn like you do in the northeast. Please don't complain or comment on the heat, we know its hot here.

Southfork (where dallas was filmed) is a tourist trap for the asian / european crowd. Its small, located in a suburb and unimpressive.

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:46 AM
yk

Hi Ellie-

I agree with all the suggestions above. You don't have much time, so where you go will depend on your interests. Either way, you should be spending your time indoors as the temp in end of July will be high 90s-100F. Sixth Floor museum is a must. The Nasher Sculpture Center is great as well. Dallas Museum of Art is decent, and they have a Dali exhibit right now (thru Aug). Both Nasher & DMA are open until 9pm on Thursday, if that is one of the evenings you are free.

Nasher:
http://www.nashersculpturecenter.org/
Dallas Museum of Art:
http://www.dm-art.org/

I enjoy the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth as well, and they also have an exhibition right now called "Caravaggio to Dali". On Fridays it is open until 8pm. The restaurant inside Kimbell serves good & fresh food at a reasonable price.
http://www.kimbellart.org/index.cfm
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Unless things have changed, the Downtown Neimans closes at 5pm, so keep that in mind.
Dragonfly at ZaZa is still a fun place for an early cocktail and the appetizers are good. The people watching is half the fun.

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:49 AM

The downtown Neiman Marcus is the original and, for a long time was the only N.M.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Jayne1973

Since Ellie will be staying in the Park Cities, does anyone have any suggestions for that area?

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Well, from a Texas perspective, Park Cities is practically downtown. Sure, she could look at homes in Highland Park and walk around the SMU campus or shop in the area but if she wants to really see sights she will have to go a few miles out of the area.
Jayne, do you have anything to add? If not, what was the point of your post? Ellie clearly states that she will "have a car and wouldn't mind driving out of the city for something interesting" and never asked about things to do in the PC area.
If you have something valid to add to the post, add it. Otherwise you should post in a thread where you can actually help.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Jayne1973

TxTravelPro: From a Dallas perspective, I was just trying to be helpful. I actually live in the area, even though I do get lost downtown! Of course I wasn't suggesting a big tour of the Park Cities, but I don't pretend to know everything about Dallas and someone might have a great suggestion for a restaurant,shop or point of interest that Ellie might like to know about. Heck, I might like to know about it! IMO, the more options, the better.

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Sorry Jayne... I took it as critism that we had not suggested stuff in her area.
My bad.
Park Cities is nice and beautiful and all but there's just not much there for tourists other than looking at houses, the University, shopping and food (excellent donuts at Mustang donuts) Good thing is the PC area is close to countless interesting places.
Greenville Ave, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Downtown, Deep Ellum, Westend, Turtle Creek and on and on.
Ellie does not mention her age or interests, which would really help direct her. I mean, if she is a Junior League type or a "Lady who Lunches" there may some appropriate things in the PC area to do... but I did not get that from her message.

So... Ellie, what is it that interests you? Are you wanting to go clubbing? If so... Country, Rock, Pop, Techno, Indie, Gay, lounge????
Shopping, Texas style Rich or outlet?
Big stores or boutiques unique to Dallas?
Dining? TexMex or upscale Texas Cuisine (for lack of a better term)?
So much to do, so little time!

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks everyone for the overwhelming response and some fantastic suggestions. I wish I had more time to spend in Dallas. I've checked out some of the websites you all recommended and think I'll spend my free day starting downtwon with the 6th Floor museum, then head over to Ft Worth and the Kimball. Hopefully it will stay light long enough to look around the FW downtown area after the museum, then grab a quick bite and head back to Dallas. I'm a bit past my clubbing days, but on the nights I have business dinners I'll see if we can go somewhere for some authentic Tex Mex (and Jayne, a margarita is well suggested anywhere IMO). I'd like to check out the Neiman Marcus - though it is unlikely I'll be able to afford anything. A friend mentioned the Mills in grapevine has a NM outlet which I may be able to get to one evening. Overall, I'm really looking forward to my visit - which will be really exciting thanks to all of your help!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Grapevine Mills does indeed have a Neiman Marcus Last Call outlet. They also have lots of other great stores. I live in Grapevine, and am at the Mills quite often. It is a good way to beat the heat in the summer!

If you are in the Park Cities area, take Northwest Highway west until it dead-ends into 114. Go west on 114, then north on 121 and follow the signs to the Mall.