Weekend getaway w/in driving distance of DFW

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I recently moved to Dallas and we're looking for an idea for a weekend getaway. I'm thinking a B&B in a small town, but the research I've done so far has unfortunately yielded only offerings of the Mary Engelbreit variety, and that's not really our thing. I'm hoping the fodorites can come through in a pinch with some ideas. We're thinking upscale, somewhere off the beaten path, maybe a nice bed and breakfast or a funky old hotel somewhere where we can do some poking around.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Have you considered Waxahachie? Not sure what you consider "Mary Engelbreit variety" but it's got lots of interesting architecture and is only about 30 miles south of Dallas.

I know there are several B&Bs there, but I have no information about them.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I don't know what that reference means, either.

Have you looked at the Texas Hill Country? Most of the B&Bs there are very enchanting, and it is within a 5-hour drive from DFW. Fredericksburg has TONS of them, and there are also more in Gruene, New Braunfels, etc. There are lots of wineries and great shopping in the area.
Try www.traveltex.com for more info!

BTW, there will be a DFW Fodorites get-together in Grapevine on March 19 at the Main Street Bread Co. for lunch Come join us!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Upscale and off the beaten path describes a B&B opened a few years ago by Gene Street, the man who owns Three Forks Restaurant in the Dallas area. Of course, the food is gourmet variety at the inn.

It's called The Celtic Inn and is between Sulphur Springs and Yantis, around 15 miles south of I-30 on Hwy 154. It's set way off the highway in a beautiful pastoral setting.

I don't have any connection to the inn. I just live in SS and know people who have been there and raved about the property and the food.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Jefferson, Tx is also an option.
Loads of B&B's...
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:08 PM

karolinatx -

You have a sympathetic ear here...I know what you are talking about...where are B&Bs w/o country-kitschy crap?

There has got to be a place in the Hill Country. Wish I had a lead for you.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Natchitoches, LA is about 4 hours from Dallas. A bit far, but nice small town with a river that runs through it. Many B&Bs.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Susan, unfortunately I went to high school in Waxahachie so I don't really want to go there for a weekend getaway. Connie, I wasn't able to find anything on the Celtic Inn online.

Pepper, you called it. My taste is so far from flowery/Victorian/country that most of the decor of the B&Bs looks somewhat stifling to me. I'm thinking there's got to be a cool older hotel somewhere, or maybe even a spa/resort out in the middle of nowhere. Any more recommendations?
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:52 AM

Try looking at texasmonthly.com. They have a travel section that has some useful info.

Hope to see y'all at the GTG on March 19.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:49 PM

KT,
Just moved to Dallas and already you want a getaway - well, sign up for AA's weekend getaway fares and Southwest's bargains on their web sites. After nearly 25 years, I cannot wait to leave (Dallas).
M
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:07 PM

Fredericksburg is a bit of a drive but it is a wonderful German town with so much charm (and a few breweries for the guys.) We have stayed at Austin Street Retreat which I think is a shabby chic style. Our favorite part is the whirlpool tub for two and one of the rooms has a pretty courtyard with a fountain and a hammock. Check out the website fbglodging.com for a wide variety of accomodations. There is bound to be something that meets your needs.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:17 PM

One of the most awesome old hotels in Texas is the Gage Hotel in Marathon, but that is a LONG way from Dallas! You could do it in a long weekend if you flew to Midland or El Paso. Big Bend is wonderful for exploring... http://www.gagehotel.com/
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:39 PM

Check this one out:
http://www.claibornehousebnb.com/rooms.shtml
Jefferson is a lovely town and only a couple of hours away.
We like to swing by Lake 'O The Pines on the way there... You can head over on 80/20 and go through Gladewater, the antique capitol of Texas and go home on 30, taking the Wildflower trail to Mt Pleasant, then 30 to Dallas.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:06 PM
jcb

Hi karolinatx -

You may want to check out Rough Creek Lodge in Glen Rose (less than 2 hours from Dallas). Its a beautiful property with excellent food - definitely not flowery. The town of Granbury is close by so you could expore it during the day too.

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:58 PM

I second Rough Creek Lodge - call ahead and get a message scheduled - the other thought is Fredericksburg and stay in a B&B.