Search

Weekend at the Taste of Chicago - report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend at the Taste of Chicago - report

Hi all,

Just came back from an impromptu weekend in Chicago, didn't know until the last minute that the Taste was going on. I flew Southwest from Hartford, direct flight into Midway. Took the Orange Line into the city...the train was easy and cheap ($2) but its a good little walk from the gate to the train..allow 15 minutes with luggage, etc.

I stayed at the Hilton Chicago on S. Michigan Ave, they advised getting off and Roosevelt Station and walking (a half-mile trek). Thought on the metro map that the Harrison station looked closer (red line) but followed their directions and found the hotel easily. The advice of folks here was true, it was a pleasant and very safe walk. Note: The free trolley has a stop right outside the Roosevelt station and could have dropped me very close to my hotel, if I had known about it. They have a system of free trolleys that run several different routes during the day until 6pm through the summer. This is a GREAT way to see the city for absolutely nothing. During the Taste, they are running until 7pm.

So...hotel..amazing..it is immense, 3000 rooms. The lobby is gorgeous, even if you don't stay there, you should step in to have a look around. I got a Priceline deal of $99/each night and after a bit of pleasant haggling, was given a King, non-smoking room. Now..this place was gorgeous and truly a 4 star hotel, but the room was on the small side, even though it was a corner and overlooked Grant Park. The thing that bothered me was that they nickle and dimed you to death. A bottle of water left in the room was $7, coke from the machine was $3, WIFI was $13.00/day and if you wanted to print something, it cost you $1. To me, that's outrageous and frankly, a big turn off.

So...checked in and then took a stroll around Grant Park and up to Millenium. The Taste was fantastic, great food, great music and the crowd (on Friday) was very tolerable. Saw the Buckingham Fountain and Lake Michigan (just beautiful), walked back down Michigan and wish I had timed it better...the Art Institute is free after 5pm on Thursdays and through the summer, on Fridays too. But I was tired and ended up coming back on Saturday and paid for the exhibit, which was lovely. After being at the Louvre, anything pales..but they had a nice assortment of various art and well displayed.

The next day I enjoyed the free trolleys and took a tour of the city. It is just beautiful. I had this idea that it was very "gritty", like NYC...and it was not. The sidewalks are very wide, I'd say almost 20 feet...made for walking and biking. Lots of green areas, beautiful architecture, it was just enjoyable. The crowds on Saturday were much heavier, but still negotiable. I did not have time to do a river cruise but although it never did full-on storm, the rain kept threatening, so I was happy to sit on the trolley and ride around. You must get out the aquarium/museum area..if nothing else but the views back towards the city...phenomenal. I would recommend Chicago for anyone looking for an interesting and fun trip. It was cheap (for american standards), plenty to see and do for families or those without children. I loved it!

P.S. The Harrison station was MUCH closer and just one stop away from Roosevelt. I took that on the way out and it was more convenient. Also, there are KFC, Pizza Hut, Dunkin Donuts and my favorite, Harold's Chicken just behind the hotel on Wabash...if you are looking for fast food. But enjoy the Taste if you go!
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM

So glad you enjoyed your visit, Vivid.

I probably shouldn't say this but... I live in the Chicago suburbs so, of course, I'm biased towards the Art Institute. But when my daughter and I were in Paris last year, the crowds at the Louvre were so overwhelming that we wound up seeing Winged Victory, Venus de Milo and the Mona Lisa, walked around just a bit and then left. Don't get me wrong, just being in the Louvre was an amazing experience. But when we go to the Art Institute we're able to actually enjoy all that it has to offer. The special exhibits tend to get crowded but nothing like every exhibit in the Louvre!

And the Art Institute is definitely a world class museum. So I don't feel it's ridiculous to make a comparison.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM

I enjoyed your report. Thanks for sharing.

You brought up an idea that I hadn't thought about. You mentioned taking the trolley around to see the sites.

Would it make sense to take their entire circuit just to see everything or would that take too long?

A friend and I are planning a day trip into the city with a group and I wonder if that might be something that we'd want to do.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 08:36 PM

Vivid- so glad you enjoyed my lovely hometown! Since I live in the Fort Worth area now, I can't get to the Art Institute that often. Ironically, the Kimball museum in Fort Worth is, tomorrow, opening a beautiful exhibit of Impressionist paintings, on loan from.... The Art Institute of Chicago! Ain't it grand that if you can't visit home, it can sometimes visit you???

Hope you get back to Chicago soon! (I just read a piece in the paper that said Chicago was voted the "cleanest" large city in America! I didn't realize how clean it was until I visited LA and NY!)
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

For Traveler...if you have a couple of days, I would ride them all in one day (switching at selected points) and not get off, just get a lay of the land..and then go back and see what you wanted. If you get off at every stop, you will NOT be able to ride all of them. Check it out http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...OID=-536896085
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the link. It was very helpful.

Debbie