Search

Chicago Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Trip Report

I just got back from my trip to Chicago. I loved it there! Thanks so much to everyone for their wonderful tips.

Before I went, I purchased the CityPass. It allowed me to avoid very long lines at The Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium. I also found the CTA 5 day visitor pass to be very helpful.

Day 1: I went to The Art Institute and spent about four hours touring the museum. Even being familiar with the MET in NY, I was quite impressed. That evening, I went to the John Hancock Tower. The views were great and the history of both the building and Chicago in general were fascinating.

Day 2: I took a two hour city tour with the Chicago Trolley and Double Decker Co. It gave a great overview of the city. I spent the rest of the day at the Shedd Aquarium. It is fabulous!

Day 3: I took a 1.5 hour boat cruise led by the Chicago Architectural Foundation. Many people recommended it and I can understand why. I next went to the Field Museum. I loved it. There was no way I could see everything, but I did take the one hour guided tour, saw the Egypt exhibit with all the mummies, saw the "Evolving Planet" exhibit and saw SUE (the T-Rex). That evening, I went to Navy Pier. There were not as many events as usual, so I spent a short while in the glass museum there.

Day 4: I had a while before leaving for Wrigley Field so I went to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange Visitor's Center. I found the displays to be quite interesting. Next, I took the el to Wrigley Field. That is a fabulous ballpark. Even sitting in section 403, I had a great view of the game. The ballpark is truly unique and something any baseball fan should see. In addition, I was quite impressed by the fans. They were by far the best behaved fans I have seen at any ballpark.

I found the city to be extremely clean, I felt very safe and the locals were very friendly. I stayed at the Best Western River North on Ohio Street, near Michigan Avenue, and highly recommend that anyone visiting Chicago stay near Michigan Avenue as it is so easy to get to the attractions from there.

Thanks again to everyone.

1nytraveler
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the report. Chicago truly is a great city!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM

You had fun, nice report, but I have to ask you about the Field museum - why were there lines? At the general entrance, or to a special exhibit?

Maybe I was lucky to visit in September, was it off-season? or maybe the line was to the Tut exhibit, and I went to the regular entrance.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

FainaAgain:

The line was actually at the general entrance. I guess that The Field Museum is less crowded in September. When I took the tour, the docent asked everyone where they were from. Virtually no one was from Chicago. Thank goodness for CityPass. I plan to use it in all future cities that I visit that offer it.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Glad you had a good time. One of the most likely reasons that no one at the museums was from Chicago is that the locals wait until the free days in the fall and winter.

Because the museums receive direct or indirect public subsidies, they offer approximately 50 free-days per year and reduced admissions for residents.