Search

Week-end in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 05:18 PM
Esther

Week-end in Chicago

We are planning a long week-end in Chicago in Oct. Would rather spend our money on shopping, and great restaurants rather than hotel. Any suggestions? We will not have a car. All help apppreciated.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 08:20 PM
sabrina

Esther,
Great thing about Chicago is: You don't need a car! You can take public transportation anywhere you need to go.

I would suggest staying downtown. There are several budget hotels, including Best Western, Comfort Inn, Motel 6, that are not bad and in great locations. If you can splurge a little more consider staying at the Palmer House Hilton, which puts you right on State Street where you're near Marshall Field's, Carson's and the theater district. (And Italian Village, another great restaurant).

Onto shopping: You MUST do North Michigan Ave. Start at Water Tower Place and work your way back. Head across the street to the 900 North Michigan Building. There's also a Filene's Basement, Border's and FAO Schwartz on the same side of the street.

Work your way back to Neiman-Marcus and have lunch at the Zodiac restaurant (I think that's the name of it!). All along the "Magnificent Mile" are fabulous places to shop. When you crave a snack, get some Garrett's Popcorn (cheese and carmel mixed is a must-have).

One of my fave restaurants that isn't too expensive and is right on the North Michigan Ave. shopping strip is called Bandera. Nice fusion of American "comfort" food and Southwestern-style food. Best slow-roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and cornbread you'll have had in a long time.

If you have some money to spend, consider Gibson's Steakhouse or Eli's Steakhouse. If you REALLY have some money to spend head to Charlie Trotter's -- second to none. Park Avenue Cafe has an incredible American dim sum brunch on Sundays.

If you're on a budget I have several suggestions: Smoke Daddy's if you like ribs; Cheesecake Factory in John Hancock building has it all -- location, great food, pretty people. PLUS you can head up to the 95th floor afterward for a drink. Harry Caray's is a tourist trap, to be sure, but has pretty good food. Shaw's Crab House for seafood...gosh, the list goes on and on but I think I've given you a good start.

Stay away from Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood and even Michael Jordan's. The food is awful and the place is positively run over with tourists.

Email me if you want more info. You're going at a great time of year!

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 02:35 AM
Nancy

Since you won't have a car, I'd stay somewhere near north Michigan Avenue. You don't indicate what kind of shopping you're interested in, but everything you could ask for is along a three or four block area near the Water Tower. The Ritz Carlton is right there, as is the Whitehall and Tremont...but they are expensive. You can walk to everything from there. You might consider a cab down to State Street (the original shopping street in downtown), where you'll find Marshall Field's and Carson Pirie Scott, two large department stores which have been around for ages. I would NOT miss those two places.

As far as restaurants, I like Berghoff's on Adams Street when I'm downtown. It's an old-fashioned, tables close together kind of place with all waiters. A throw-back to an earlier time.

I would NOT walk around anywhere at night except on north Michigan Avenue. Just a warning.

A trip to Chicago could not be complete, in my opinion, without visiting two places, the Art Institute on Michigan Avenue and Second City. The Art Institute is one of the premier art museums in the world. Second City is a comedy club, the precursor to Saturday Night Live. It is on Wells in Old Town...a short cab ride from downtown. The prices are cheap, no drink minimum, but great, great entertainment.

Have fun!

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 04:54 AM
s.fowler

Try the Talbot or Raphael Hotels. They are older, not the amenities of the big chains, but they are popular with locals for "getaway" weekends. They are both just off the "mag mile" and a LOT cheaper that the Palmer House and with quite a bit of "boutique" charm.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:56 AM
sabrina

Esther,
One word of advice: You really don't need to take cabs everywhere. Chicago has one of the best and easy-to-use public transportation systems in the world. For $1.50 you can save yourself some money by taking short trips on CTA to your destinations during the day. If you can't walk to where you're going in the evening, then and only then would I take a cab.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 07:27 AM
Lisa

I stayed at the Radisson in Chicago and thought the hotel was VERY nice with reasonable prices...check out their website - they usually have special discounted rates. It was a great location too - just off of the Magnificant mile!

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 01:10 PM
Julie

My friend and I just returned from a weekend shopping trip in Chicago and had a fabulous time. We stayed at the Palmer House because of the great location. It was $129 per night (which is the cheapest of the nicer hotels) and well worth it for the convenience. It is directly across the street from Carson Pirie. By the way, the are doing some remodeling so it was a little tough to shop. Filene's Basement is one of our favorites because we are big bargain hunters! They are having a 50% off the clearance price and we got some phenomenal buys. For instance, I bought a Harve Bernard blazer for $2.50. That's what I call a bargain!
FAO Scwarz is also having a sale with 75 and 50% off. They didn't have too much for girls but if you have anyone interested in dinosaurs you'll be in luck.
Marshall Fields has to be seen once just for it's size. There are 12 stories but it's very difficult to find your way around.
There is a Cows on Parade exhibit on display through October. There are 300 fiberglass cows located throughout the city and decorated by various artists. They are everywhere and you can't miss them. Some are even scaling buildings.

As far as meals go we had lunch at Miller's Pub (directly beside the Palmer House). The reubens are good. Prices are reasonable and service is quick. We also had lunch at the Walnut Room in Marshall Fields. The food was nothing special; probably wouldn't return.

Dinner was at a seafood restaurant called Catch 35. Semi-expensive and not particularly noteworthy. We won't go back. However, dinner the next night at Skoozies (I think that's the proper spelling) was fabulous. It's a way off the strip and I would recommend a cab. We didn't have reservations on a Sat. night and had to wait 45 minutes for a table for two. We will definately return and I would wait double the time if necessary. The prices are very reasonable. The portions are large and the Italian food is terrific. From the outside we were a little nervous; it looked like nothing was going on and there is a big tomato sticking out of the building. But, upon entering the place is great.

Have a great time!

Julie

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 06:05 PM
arjay

Treat yourself to some Frango chocolate while at Marshall Fields - better yet...Frango ice cream. For good Cajun food and reasonable prices, try Heaven on Seven, just off N. Michigan Avenue at Ontario. And don't forget some deep dish Chicago pizza - you wouldn't go home w/o some of that, would you? Head for Pizzaria Uno (where it all started) or sister-restaurant Due - a block apart from one another on Rush St. It's a great walking town...head north up Michigan Avenue on one of your shopping jaunts and keep going - past the Drake Hotel (an excellent hamburger in the Coq d'Or in the lower lobby). You'll have Oak Street beach and the lakefront on one side of you - keep bearing north and onto the side streets and you'll start strolling the Gold Coast...lovely old townhomes, etc. It gets even ritzier on State and Astor Streets the other side of Division. Lots to see and do and taste and enjoy....

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 04:29 AM
Esther

Thanks to all who have replied. It has been most helpful. Sabrina, you said I could e-mail you if I had more questions. Your address doesn't show on your response. My e-mail is [email protected]. Please send me yours.
Again, thanks to all.

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 10:24 AM
sabrina

Esther,

I just sent you email, complete with my address. But I couldn't resist another hotel suggestion: If you're leaning toward staying in N. Michigan Ave. area, there's a Westin across the street from the John Hancock building. From there you can also head up to Oak Street for a little more "high-end" shopping (Versace boutique, etc.)

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 05:36 PM
dhannafo

I would recommend Berghoff's on Adams street for good food in a quiet, comfortable atmosphere.. It is an establishment with a lot of history... sort of like what I imagine a private mens club would be like. A room at the Hyatt in the University of Illinois neighborhood was under $100. in July. I expect it would be a little more in the fall but still reasonable and about a two block walk to the train. You'll be downtown in 5 minutes.