Reload this Page >

need help about maui & kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 07:53 AM
anhow

In Kauai's north shore, where did Elvis stay when he filmed 'Blue Hawaii;' & is it still there? Where on Kauai was the movie 'South Pacific' filmed? -(& can you visit there?).
On Maui, at the Westin, is their 'Sound of the falls' restaurant still open? At the Grand Wailea do they have a romantic restaurant to go to for dinner?

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 08:12 AM
Mary

The Hanalei/Princeville area is where part of "South Pacific" was filmed. EXACTLY where in the area, I don't know. Don't go to Kauai unless you're willing to take a helicopter ride or go rafting. If you're not willing, don't go there. There's not much to do except relax. Sorry, no info on "Blue Hawaii".

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 05:27 PM
Ruth

I know that a lot of "Blue Hawaii" was shot at Coco Palms Resort on the Eastern Coast around Kapaa, Kauai, and I believe Elvis and his entourage were staying there as well. Unfortunately, since Hurricane Iniki did so much damage, the resort has not been re-opened.

"South Pacific" was filmed on Northern Kauai, around the Princeville area.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 05:28 PM
Ruth

I know that a lot of "Blue Hawaii" was shot at Coco Palms Resort on the Eastern Coast around Kapaa, Kauai, and I believe Elvis and his entourage were staying there as well. Unfortunately, since Hurricane Iniki did so much damage, the resort has not been re-opened.

"South Pacific" was filmed on Northern Kauai, around the Princeville area.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Julie

There is PLENTY to do on Kauai if you don't take a helicopter tour or go rafting. My husband and I spent a week on the island for our honeymoon last year and did neither of those activities. We did explore the island by car and spent a lot of time snorkeling and a little time hiking. We were never bored and there were many things we didn't have time for. We can't wait to return this fall!

There is a company called Hawaii Movie Tours that offers tours of movie sites on Kauai and they offer two different packages - one is just a van tour and the other includes a helicopter ride. We didn't look into it because my husband doesn't care much for things like that although I would have loved it. Their web site is www.hawaiimovietour.com

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 07:01 PM
nj

Lumahai Beach was the site of most of the Kauai-filmed scenes in South Pacific. It is near Hanalei on the central north coast. It can be reached on foot by trail. Drive up Rte 56 to get there.
Blue Hawaii, as noted above, was filmed at the Coco Palms (the Kauai part of the film). Destroyed by Iniki, still closed. It also was the host site for the TV show Fantasy Island in the early years. You can still visit courtesy of Hawaii Movie Tours for a fee.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 10:47 AM
Ruth

Anhow, Go to "www.hawaiimovietours.com" - I think you'll like it!

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 11:32 PM
Vicki

I was fortunate enough to stay at the Coco Palms in 1981. Relue Hawaii-the bridal barge scene was filmed there on site in the many lagoons. The actual wedding scene, if my memory serves me right, was filmed at the Fern Grotto. You can take a boat ride up the Wailua River on Smith Boat Tours and take a short walk to this site.I visited Kauai again in 1990 and will be returning in June of 2000.