Day trip out of Seattle next week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are at a downtown conference next week. Then we'll head to the North Cascades for the weekend for hiking, weather permitting. (If it's rainy we'll keep heading east.) The 10-day forecast looks clear for then, and Friday too. I thought I'd pick up our rental car on Friday and do some hiking and see the sights on my own for the day. Much of Ranier looks like it's closed for the season, though I'm up for that. Or perhaps something along Steves or Snoqualmie Passes - any suggestions?
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think access to Mt Rainier is limited at the moment; however the lodge at Paradise is closed for renovations. Maybe that's what you saw.

You have a lot of mountains on your plate for the weekend. If it was me with a spare day I'd turn west instead, and do a day trip to Vashon Island or Whidbey Island - see a little of Puget Sound and the maritime environment to balance the mountains. With an early-ish start you could also make it to Port Angeles and drive up to Hurricane Ridge (Olympic mts.) for great alpine scenery and vistas, plus you'd get a ferry trip (Seattle > Bainbridge) and see some of the Sound and Strait in the process.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM

I would take the ferry out to Friday Harbour, drive around and have lunch...or cross the bay to Bainbridge Island; Poulsbo; Port Gamble; and Port Townsend.

As well as I remember, Port Gamble area is where the Indian chief that Seattle is named for is buried. There is a quaint logging community there and in September (when we went) we picked blackberries beside the road. Port Townsend has a quaint little museum manned by talkative locals; unique architecture and there is a (I think former) military base there that was the filming site for "An Officer And A Gentleman."

Rambling around that area was a memorable daytrip for us.

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM

They close part of the road around Rainier sometime in October, but you can always still get up to Paradise, which is the most popular area. I was up there last week and it was gorgeous---all dressed in red and gold, with The Mountain looming above. At midweek, we had the place to ourselves. There are numerous loop trails you can take; all would be perfectly safe to hike alone. If it is a nice day, that would be my recommendation. It is about 1.5 to 2 hours from Seattle. On the way up, a few miles past the park entrance, you will come to the Longmire area and the National Park Inn. There is a small natural history museum that should be open. I'm not sure about the visitor center up at Paraside---most likely it is closed. But your time is best spent on the trails anyway. The Skyline hike is lovely even if Rainier is shrouded in clouds.

I can sugggest a driving route that is more pleasant than the I-5 to Hwy 7 route that looks like the obvious choice on a map.

If the weather doesn't work for Rainier, my favorite hike closer to Seattle would be the hike north along the Pacific Crest Trail from Snoqualmie Pass. If you look at trail guides, it's usually designated at the "Kendall Katwalk" hike, named for a spectacular point 5.5 miles up the trail. Before that point, the trail traverses slopes above Commonwealth Basin, with views to peaks in the area. Although not as high as Paradise, you do get into red low-bush blueberry territory after you leave the forest. You get away from the freeway pretty quickly. For a shorter hike, you could go up to Lake Annette---take the Denny Creek exit just before Snoq. Pass, and turn to the south side of the freeway. It's 6 miles RT to a small lake. There is a yellowjacket nest right by the trail, though---we got stung there last weekend.

I'm not as familiar with hikes in the Stevens Pass area.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM

ooops---I meant "visitor center at Paradise".

The other suggestions appeared while I was typing. They are good ones too. I just depends on the weather and how you wish to spend a day on your own.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd go to Whidbey Island
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:28 AM

My choice would be Hurricane Ridge.

From there I would drive to Lake Crescent and, from the lodge (which may be closed), take the walk to Marymere Falls.

It would be a long day but memorable day.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:35 AM
ALF

Those are all good suggestions - if you want to do Mt. Rainier, it is a really good time of year - no crowds, weather hasn't turned bad yet, perhaps still some wildflowers. Here is road opening info:
http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/hours.htm

You could do a really nice driving loop around the Mtn, with good stops for walking about:

From Seattle, take I-5 South to I-405 North
In Renton take the Exit to Rte 169/Maple Valley
In Enumclaw, take Rte 410 East, into Mt. Rainier NP
At Cayuse Pass, turn onto Rte 123 South
Near the south end of the Park, turn onto the Stevens Canyon Road
Drive up to Paradise, then continue down Paradise Rd to Rte 706
Near Elbe, turn onto Rte 7 north
Turn onto Rte 161 N, toward Eatonville
Follow Rte 161 back to I-5, and on to Seattle

There are lots of great stops along the Stevens Canyon and Paradise Roads, as well as nice hiking trails at Paradise.

My favorite stop along the Stevens Canyon Rd is Box Canyon.

At Paradise, you can take some short hikes to great viewpoints. One nice loop trail is to Panorama Point, then Sluiskin Falls, then return to Paradise. You can also venture onto the snowfield that leads upward to Camp Muir, at the 10,000-ft level.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

You guys are amazing! I looked more closely at the park website, and sure enough though most of the visitor centers are closed, only Morwich Rd. is scheduled closed when we're there. Though Alf's recommended route looks great, Enzian I wouldn't mind your recommendation as well, just to keep my options open if weather changes things.

I've been to Port Angeles/OP several times, in fact I want to retire there(I can dream, can't it?). I live on a lake in a fairly flat part of Michigan, so mountains are my first priority on this trip. But Friday Harbor, Whidbey Island (top choice if it were spring and rhodi season) and Port Townsend/Port Gamble are all possibilities. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM

HI again,

Alf's recommended route around Rainier and mine are actually the same, just going in opposite directions. I suggested Paradise first (going counter-clockwise around the Mountain) because often it is clear up there in the morning, and then clouds up in the afternoon. Last week we got a nice little 2-hour hike up to Glacier Vista in before noon when it clouded up. And----for us there is an obligatory bakery stop in Eatonville (on th eway to the park) in the morning, and an ice cream stop in Greenwater (at Wapiti Woolies) in the afternoon.

It's still lovely here today---hopefully the weather will stay nice for your visit.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:49 AM

I too vote Rainier, as long as it's clear. If it's raining I'd skip the idea of the mts. altogether-it is seriously COLD when it's raining in October in higher elevations.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Or even snowing. . . in which case the road up to Paradise might be closed temporarily.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:58 PM

Check this site for Ranier (day only).

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/WebCa...am/moracam.cfm

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:50 AM

i have to vote for ranier, it's beautiful. not knowing your hiking preferences i also want to recommend the hike to cascade pass in north cascades. it's a relatively moderate hike (more switchbacks than you can count!) and gives you a spectacular endpoint in the pass. not a lot of places to stay in the area tho.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Depends on the weather. For me, if it's rainy, I prefer going down to the ocean or out to the islands, over heading to the mountains.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Justme22, it just so happens that the Cascades Pass hike I took last July was one of the most perfect hikes I've ever taken. Not too long, not too short, spectacular scenery, a gorgeous clear day, and goats to greet me at the top. I'm praying I can do it with Rick a week from tomorrow.

Redrock, thanks for the webcam info, I'll definitely check it before I set out. If it looks bad, I'll head to the islands instead, we haven't made any reservations for next Sat. night.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Last year there was at least 20 or more feet of snow in the picnic area. Almost all the trees were covered. This is one of my favorite web cams.