Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

We've done Kiawah and Charleston, what to do for the rest of our vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm here on Kiawah Island for a vacation with my two sisters. We are enjoying spectacular weather and have had a wonderful time exploring the island and Charleston. We have three more full days and since I am the vacation planner for this group, so far so good, but I need suggestions for the next few days. We don't want to do any long drives (ie Savannah) but I wondered if it would be worth our while to explore the neighboring islands in our rental car? Also, I am looking for a nearby local seafood restaurant. We are cooking in most of the time, but I have a hankering for some great and reasonably priced crabcakes. Any help out there for us? Thanks in advance, Maggi
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:00 AM

If you continue on towards Seabrook (rather than turning off to go to Kiawah) there is a pretty good restaurant in the little shopping center before you hit the guard gates for Seabrook. (In case you don't want to go into Charleston.) What about hitting some of the Plantations ?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, SanParis. Can you be a little more specific about the location and type of food? We are not family with the area. Or, does anyone else know the name of this place?

Another thought came to mind that perhaps we could visit Beaufort? Is it worth a 2 hr drive one way?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Actually I logged on to suggest Beaufort. It is very charming and IMHO very much worth the ride down.
Go to Barbara Jeans for good, reasonably priced crabcakes.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Beaufort is nice & there are some good restaurants there as well. I'll see if I can find a website for the restaurant, may be difficult since I don't recall the name.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:07 AM

I think it is the Island House...check out www.discoverseabrook.com.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Two restaurants near Kiawah with good seafood and food in general: Red Sky is the place nearest the Seabrook gate. Not a lot of atmosphere but very popular with those who live nearby.

Rosebank Cafe at Bohickit Marina is my favorite. Actually better for lunch than dinner, I think. The lunch blue plate special has great local vegetables and fried seafood and chicken.

Hege's in the Freshfields Village is also good, a little more upscale.

I'm not a fan of Edito which the next island down but Beaufort is a nice little town, very walkable. About 90 minutes from Kiawah gate on a relatively dull road.

I might also visit Mt. Pleasant and the Yorktown at Patriot's Point. Different but interesting. Also the Aquarium and a boat trip to Fort Sumter.

Mostly, we like to sit on the beach on those beautiful days. Enjoy.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM

I believe dove is right - Red Sky sounds right & it isn't much to look at...
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Have you been to John's Island to see that big old tree - the live oak. How about Folly Beach....
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:19 PM
GoTravel

If you are going to Beaufort, you might as well drive to Savannah. They are very close.

I'd go back to King Street and shop.

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Cmcfong, I checked out the website for Barbara Jean's and this looks like the place for crabcakes! That alone makes the case for Beaufort for me, LOL. Thanks for the tip. Dove, Rosebank Cafe was my favorite last year, and since then I have read that portions have gotten really small and quality and service have gone down. Did you find that to be true? Leahinsc, yes we did visit the awesome Angel Oak (they say it is 1400 years old). I love that tree. We don't want to go to Savannah or we don't want to go back to Charleston this trip. Thanks for all the replies so far. Maggi.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:46 AM

I hope you enjoy Beaufort. It is one of my favorite little towns in the South....and enjoy the crabcakes!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 04:23 AM

I love Beaufort and the surrounding area. Several years ago a friend and I took a Gullah tour from St Helena island (I think that is where it was from) Very interesting. Also Parris Island - the Marine base - is nearby and there is a somewhat interesting museum there. Or you can spend hours wandering Beaufort - possibly take a horse and carriage ride. Have some shrimp and grits - my favorite food down there.

Pam
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Beaufort is very small but very pretty. Park the car and walk the old neighborhoods with camera in hand.

What about lighthouse hunting?
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

We did drive to Beaufort yesterday and enjoyed a leisurely stroll, shopping and a lunch on the veranda at Barbara Jeans. Thanks to all who posted here!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 05:40 AM

Thanks, Maggi. I am so glad you had a good time.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 04:07 PM

I would definatly take take to go to Bowen's Island Seafood on bowen's Island. Great oyster room. Head out towards Folly Beach and take the dirt road to the right before crossing the creek. Cement Block building on the left next to a huge pile of oyster shells. Hand lettered sign on the wall says it all "Some Like It, Some Don't". I do.
Large oak tree mentioned in above posting is The Angle Oak, the largest live oak tree East of the Missisippi.
I do like Edisto and one of my favorite things to do there is to watch the sun set from Steamboat Landing.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Ruvidu, thanks for the reply, but unfortunately we are back home already. I will keep you suggestions in mind for next time though.

We have visited the Angel Oak twice so far. It's amazing! I first learned about it when it was the subject of the "Where are you?" contest in Conde Nast Traveler magazine quite some time ago. We were told this time around that some development was going to be happening in the area. I hope they will take great pains to protect this beautiful natural asset.