We survived our first vacation with our baby!

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We survived our first vacation with our baby!

By way of background, my DH and I were big travellers prior to having our daughter last February so I was going a bit stir crazy to say the least not having been anywhere for about a year. From the beginning WDW was extremely accomodating with our daughter-every room has a pack n play and a frig which is invaluable at this point and I did not appreciate until trying to make a reservation at other hotels for another trip who couldn't guarantee a crib and wanted to charge an arm and leg for a fridge if they had one available.

We arrived on Sunday morning to Animal Kindgdom Lodge where we got a great deal on a pool view room (about half of the normal $300 price). Normally we stay at one of the moderate hotels (Port Orleans) but decided that having a private balcony would be great since the baby goes to bed at 7 pm. (She actually made it until 8 pm on the trip-gotta love Eastern time!) The balcony was great b/c we could sit outside, have a glass of wine or read or just chill without having to whisper since we were all in the same room with a sleeping baby. The pool at AKL is great and we found this hotel much quieter than other Disney hotels we've stayed at.

We visited every park during our 6 days, usually going in the am and coming back for a swim and nap in the afternoon and then going back out again. EPCOT's Food and Wine Festival started the weekend we arrived and was a definate highlight-What's not to love about free wine and beer tastings. Several additional countries, along with the countries permanently in the World Showcase, had booths stationed around the lake usually with 3 food choices and a wine or beer selection or both. The food was amazingly good at everyone we tried (except the Florida shrimp booth where the shrimp was chewy)although this might have been due to my "happy" state from the wine tastings! We ended up passing on several meal reservations because we had munched so much throughout the day. Although we are big Disney travellers we had never visited for this Festival and are now kicking ourselves for not visiting sooner.

One thing we did discover was the babyswap pass-parents with small kids can split up and ride rides separately without having to wait twice. Ask for a babyswap pass and the second parent can just walk through the fastpass line without having to wait or have a fastpass.

I know that WDW causes much controversy on this board for being too "commercial" but for travelling with a baby, it couldn't be easier or nicer. I was expecting as much and they never let me down...
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Congrats on baby and good trip. First trip with baby is the hardest - now that you realize it can be done, as long as some creature comforts for baby are available, hope you can continue to enjoy travel as a family.
It is very different with kids - not better or worse, just different (this from someone who is sadly nearing the end of travel time with teenagers).

Did you happen to notice that the amount of baby-related stuff you likely hauled into the parks each day would have sustained you and DH on a weekend trip BC (before children)?
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Great trip report. We did a trip with my daughter when she was 8 months. Great age to travel with most infants including mine. We did a 12 day road trip to the Pacific Northwest and Vancouver, B.C., from San Jose CA. FYI, my little girl is now 22 and in law school.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM
GoTravel

Disney is the best aren't they?

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Hello swalter518 - so glad you enjoyed your Disney trip! And each year you go with your daughter will be even better. Ah, the sparkle in her eye when she sees Cinderella or when she gets her first Princess dress!

We have gone to the Food & Wine Festival many times. In the early years, they'd have little 3x5 cards at every booth with recipes. Now you have to buy them. I've got a whole collection of cards from the different countries. As a matter of fact, just last I night made the Russian Beef Stroganoff (got that recipe about 7 or 8 years ago). Yum!

Were you able to see any of the cooking demos? My favorite was when we watched Paula Dean. Is she ever a hoot!

And don't let those Disney naysayers get to you. It's a great place to let loose and have a little fun, for heaven's sake!

Good report!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Glad to hear it went so well Traveling with kids definitely is different, but also so much fun. We took our kids to WDW when they were young, but are going again in December. They are teens now, lol! Keep traveling with your daughter...it is amazing how much kids take in even when people think they are too young to.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM

I said it before, and I'll say it again: you are great parents! I really enjoyed your report.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! One thing I forgot to mention-if you ever run out of baby food at any of the parks, they have it (and at a very reasonable price) at the Baby Care Centers (which are also very nice and air conditioned with play rooms so the little ones can cool off.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:57 AM
JJ5

Oh swalter518, it will the first of many, many. So glad to hear the details.

Honestly, I do think DisneyW. in FL is better now than it ever has been. And it has changed. I am so glad to hear about the parent swap pass- it's about time.

Disney done with a stroll and not in a frantic rush, can be absolutely delightful. That's one of the reasons that people all over the world come to FL to appreciate it.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Congratulations!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:06 AM

I second that... congratulations!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Suerich68

It sounds like WDW is a great place to go with a small baby. They really get it!

Old Nov 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM

It can be done, even with 3 kids under the age of 4! I found that if I am prepared, have lots of activities to keep the kids entertained, and relax a little, we can have a successful trip. I also gift wrap snacks and pull them out 'as needed' during our long road trips. I got a Snack N Play Travel Tray too that was a life saver as the kids could play with their toys, store their activities, snacks and games and entertain themselves for hours on the road. I bought it at www.familytravelgear.com. They also have great activity kits for the kids too. Bottom line, I look at life with my little ones now as a big adventure. We can go anywhere.