Reload this Page >

We know nothing about Hawaii.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 02:19 PM
Bennett

Although my husband and I have traveled extensively in Europe, we know nothing about Hawaii. We plan on going there in either late February or early March 2001. Our main priorities are seeing the whales and photographing beautiful sites. But, we are so confused about all of the different islands that we don't even know where to go. Any suggestions? If it matters, we're not interested in a nightlife scene. I guess that means we're Old! Thanks for any help.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 02:41 PM
Lori

First of all relax, take a deep breath and then start prioritizing what you really want to see/do. Then get some books/videos/brochures/web info, etc. and start some serious planning.

First of all how long are your going to be in Hawaii? Budget? Splitting time between islands is great if you have enough time, if you go for only a week I would not recommend it, too much time is lost with inter-island travel. I would suggest renting a car everyplace but Honolulu (if you spend a few days there you really do not need one at all).

You have to decide if you prefer a hotel or a condo. We've stayed in condo's on Maui and loved the extra space, etc. We too have traveled a lot in Europe and know all about small hotel rooms!! We've stayed at The Mahana in Maui a number of times - great location, all units (they are condos) face the ocean. In fact we have seen whales a number of times from our lanai. Most condos include daily maid service, have complete kitchens, etc. As for hotels, they range from extreme luxury to basic budget on all the islands, it's all a matter of preference and location.
There is much to see on Maui, if you are interested in scenery Mt. Haleakala is wonderful and the road to Hana is filled with beatiful vistas. We've visited Maui many times and it's our favorite altho we enjoyed the Big Island too and visited several times. The Volcano Nat'l Park is well worth a visit for sure, Akaka Falls are lovely, the cattle ranching country is pretty, the scenery is very varied and beautiful.

I would not take a tour of the islands, they are easy to plan yourself - just head out with your rental

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 02:45 PM
Lori

sorry about that .. I hit send before I was through.

No need for tours,just hop in the rental car and head out to see the sights. As far as night life goes I don't think there is much on any of the island frankly - we usually just had dinner out (maybe a walk around town or something in Lahaina or Kona) and then went to bed. You will find the sea air will tire you out anyway, and everyone seems to be up early in Hawaii.

You might just concentrate on 2 islands, it's more manageable - Waikiki is fun to visit (I think) for a couple of days and Pearl Harbor is very interesting, but if your time is limited I'd opt for Maui and Kuaui or Maui & the Big Island.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 03:08 PM
sammie

The whales are in Maui at the time you are going.
I understand they are visible from Wailea beach.
Get the Frommers 2001 Hawaii guide and do some reading. That book recommends 1 island per week, it discourages island hopping as that wastes a lot of time. We spent 8 days on Maui in June, our first trip, there was plenty to see and do and we loved it.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Nancy

Having been to Oahu, Maui and Kuaui, I would visit Kuaui. Kuaui offers the Napali Coast and the beautiful Waimia (sp?) Canyon for photography. Take one of the helicopter rides to get extraordinary photos.
We stay at Coco Palms. I hope it is still there - we haven't been there for 10 years. --That was my favorite spot.
Kuaui is less built up. More natural places to visit. Maui comes in second for me. The road to Hana is beautiful, although very slow going.
Unfortunately, we were robbed on the road to Hana, so my feelings are skewed. It was, however, beautiful.