We are the Canadians

Search

We are the Canadians

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are the Canadians

My earlier post suggested a week in Disneyworld (CelebrationWorld) with a week on our own in Charleston. Because we are on a timeshare option, we have a choice of going to Charleston from Disneyworld or going to Nassau Bahamas for a week at a place called Sandyport Resort. I'm wondering about costs going to Nassau - we'd have to drive to Ft. Lauderdale from Kissimme then fly to Nassau. Does anyone have travel time/expenses or opinions on these choices? THank you so much
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM
GoTravel

I would think it may be cheaper and easier flying from FLL to Nassau because it is closer.

You've lost me on the Disneyworld/Charleston thing.

Are you saying there is a Disney hotel in Charleston?

As far as I know, the only Disney timeshare is in Hilton Head.

Old May 1st, 2006, 09:19 AM

I think this depends on your personal taste. I don't know Sandyport, but it basically comes down to a lovely Southern town vs. an island beach resort.

Neither will be that tough to get to. Assuming you'd drive to Charleston, it's about 8.5-9 hours, while Fort Lauderdale would be 3.5 or so plus the flight.

But here's the deal -- you can often get Nassau flights from non-stop MCO at (or close) to the price as ones from Fort Lauderdale so it might work to skip the drive. It's often under $150 US.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:28 AM
GoTravel

Charleston is only six hours to Orlando/Kissimmee.

Old May 1st, 2006, 11:15 AM

That's 400 miles through MCO and JAX in six hours hours ... probably could be done, but I doubt many folks leave Charleston at 9 for a 3 p.m appointment in Kissimmee. It's averaging nearly 70 mph with no stops for fuel, food or whatever.
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:47 AM
GoTravel

It is interstate all the way. The speed limit in I-95 is 70mph and if you drive that slow, you are endangering your life. Average car goes 80mph.

Repete, what freaky map are you using? It is less than 200 miles from Orlando to Jacksonville and less than 200 miles from Jacksonville to Charleston.

It is less than 400 miles from Orlando to Charleston.

Are you talking about Charleston West Virginia? The OP is talking about Charleston SC.

Old May 1st, 2006, 12:04 PM

Google, Yahoo and MapQuest all peg it at 400-plus from Kissimmee to Charleston.

Do you know what driving 80 does for your mileage?

Old May 1st, 2006, 12:21 PM
GoTravel

repete, I've made this drive a hundred times.

Driving less than 80mph on I-95 is dangerous.

Have you driven this route?

Old May 1st, 2006, 12:24 PM
GoTravel

Kissimmee to Charleston is 411 miles according to mapquest.

My car drives better at 80mph than it does at 40mph.

411 divided by 80 is 5.13 so that is even less than my estimate according to mapquest and I've driven this. By driving 70 it is still under six hours.

Old May 1st, 2006, 03:04 PM

Sure, I've driven it a number of times.

Next time you do 411 miles in 5.13, pleaselet me know. And let me know if you can cover that route, that fast without a ticket.

I'll admit the Google estimate that I posted seems too long. It's been more reliable on other routes. Mapquest and Yahoo were more reasonable.

But I'd be willing to bet that if you had a big meeting in Orlando at 3 p.m., you'd be on the road before 9 a.m.

Yes or no?

Interesting, tho, in this talk about speed ... my best trip to Charleston was an unscheduled 3-day stop when the turbo blew out on my way to Orlando.