WDW in July & Aug

Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:08 PM
gina

WDW in July & Aug

This is our only chance to go. Any positive notes? Tell me more about fast passes.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:27 PM
okc

Fast pass is great. You make an appointment and come back at that time. July and Aug in Orlando is REALLY hot !!
Go to the parks at night. They stay open late in summer. Beware though Disney is losing its charm. It is very fake and contrived, It worked in the 70's, 80's but now I think people are wising up and want real experiences like Savannah, Charleston, New orleans, boston, Philly etc....

Feb 23rd, 2002, 01:56 AM
lynn

fast passes are great, but you still have to work with them keeping an eye on the time, etc. hot and humid(very)and crowded - can be a real nightmare with children, beware!

Feb 23rd, 2002, 05:11 AM
Gail

Go to the parks as soon as they open. Do the popular attractions and get a Fast Pass for one you want to do later. You can only get one fast pass at a time. Therefore, if you get a fast pass for an attraction for 2:00PM, you can't get another fast pass until after 2:00.
Go to www.disboards.com for loads of info.

Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:29 AM
Postal

Get to the parks early in the morning, leave at 2 PM to rest or swim at your hotel, wait till the rain stops (it rains for at least an hour almost every summer afternoon), then eat dinner and return to the parks at about 6 PM. It'll be cooling off and you'll still have a few hours.

Feb 23rd, 2002, 12:27 PM
CF

Your biggest problem here is going to be the heat and humidity at this time of year.Especially the humidity... All the others are right, try for early moring and late night in the parks. I think they are open later at this time of year.

Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:35 PM
Robbie

Dear Gina

I agree with the above. It will be very hot and humid, but if this is your only time to go you have no choice. Take your sun screen and drink plenty of water.I don't know what you have been thinking about as far as hotel arrangements are. I would suggest staying in one of the Disney Hotels. They are more expensive then the ones you will stay in off the property, but you will get the perks of being a Disney resort guest 1) the ability to get into the parks early on certain days which is only available to the Disney resort guests (this will work in your favor if you want to go to the parks early and back to your hotel for a rest and swim then go back later). 2) you will have the ability to use the transportation from your hotel to the parks ie monorail buses. They have certain deals available and you need to ask for them when you call to make reservations. You will be going during the peak season so these might be hard to come by. If you stay off the Disney propery many of the hotels that are located around Disney World have free transportion included (you have to make sure its free when you make your reservations). If you can pick up Birnbaum's Offical guide to Walt Disney World. I bought it at the suggestion of my Sister and it was great. If you have children you might want to take in a Character breakfast. The book rates them. Try getting on www.disneyworld.com/ To check out the resorts. For reservation information call 1-407-934-7639 expect to wait on line a little. I was able to save money by calling them direct. Birmbaum's book has a listing of all the Character breakfasts and restaurants. You will probably need to make reservations in advance at the restaurant's you want to dine at especially since you will be there during the busy season. If you are interested in the Disney Resorts I would try to make reservations soon they bookup quick. The above information on the Fast Pass is on the mark. Hope you have a great trip.

Peace, Robbie

Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:40 PM
Stephanie P.

okc:

I have to agree with you. I'd like to see quaint, charming Southern cities over an overrated amusement park any day. It will be so hot in Orlando in July and August. I went to Ft. L. area in May and it was 92 degrees. The further I went inland the more I felt like passing out.

Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:52 PM
okc

Stephanie P.

I grew up in Ft Laud, so I know about those danm Florida summers ! I still can't figure out the Disney attraction ! Are Americans that shallow we like fake and plastic over real ? like people go to New orleans and complain that it was dirty ! My god it is a 300 year city that is lived in by real people !!

Feb 24th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Postal

The worst was when I was looking at Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany and heard a little girl say, "Look, Mommy, they copied Cinderella's Castle!"

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Joy

Face it--it is hot anywhere in the south in July and August! Even Savannah, et al. Prepare to be hot, drink lots of water and bring an umbrella (not those rain capes which turn into a sauna) for the rain AND to keep off the sun. Go early, spend midday by the pool, come back late. Have fun and don't worry so much. A relaxed attitude can make all the difference so I stay at the Disney hotels and it is worth the money.

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:53 PM
judy

The REAL heat is from all that damn pavement. Coastal Florida has the breezes. Plus, there are groups of foreigners in line who do NOT use deodorant and many who smoke. Take the kids out of school one day in Nov and go for a 3-day wkend.

Apr 10th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Laurie

My family has been to WDW in July and in August. Yes, it is hot. But, there are ways to beat the heat! Bring a water bottle with you and refill from water fountains. You can even bring a little lemonade mix to make it taste better. Do some research to find sit down restaurants that suit your tastes, and make reservations early, before you leave home. It is nice to be able to take a break in an air conditioned restaurant rather than the fast food places with outdoor seating. If you are worried about the cost of these restaurants, I would recommend sharing meals. My family of 2 adults and 2 teens share meals at the sit down restaurants and we never left hungry. [you can always share a dessert] Try to go to some of the shows that are inside in the mid afternoon or go back to your hotel for a swim. Another tip to help beat the heat is to take a hand towel and get it wet with cool water and place it around your neck. When it gets warm, just run it under a faucet agian. We had a blast at all of the WDW parks even in the high heat of the summer. Hope you do too!

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Mike

Just want to corrent one small thing; Disney has discontinued the early entry privileges for onsite guests. After 9/11 they implemented it (a cost saving measure I believe) and have not reinstated it, even during the past few holidays that have been extremely busy, and probably won't in the forseable future.

Apr 11th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Deb

Yes, it's hot in the south in the summertime. Just like everywhere else in the summer. However, Disney is not an outdoor field without shade. Many of the things you do there are indoors, and the air-conditioning is blasting. Yes, there are waits outside,but Disney places huge fans and water mist into the lines that make it tolerable. If you plan and take it easy when you are there it will be great. Clearly it works because many people return year after year. The wait to get into the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago was recently 1 1'2 hours, and someone said the Statue of Liberty was 2 hours. It gets hot in the summer in these places too, but no fans are placed into the crowds.

Apr 11th, 2002, 05:24 AM
love

That is because Disney is the best, most wonderful, happiest place on earth. It doesn't matter if it's hot, crowded or if I have to wait 2 hours for a ride. I just love it, love it, love it. Of course I've never traveled anywhere else and don't know any better either.

Apr 11th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Dick

The site below offers tips on keeping cool. Good info on which attractions to see during the hottest part of the day.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/bank/keepcool.htm

Apr 11th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Jon

You don't say how old the kids are - it's worse the younger they are at this time of year. IMHO, you should take a couple of thousand dollars, flush it down the toilet, and spin yourself in a hot clothes dryer for a few days. Same experience as WDS in July/August, but no packing and less travel time, you don't have to wait, roasting 2 hours in line, fast pass or not.

When the kids were younger we took the out of school between November and Christmas (excpet. Thanksgiving) and had the place almost to ourselves. What a pleasure. If you're concerned about missing special events, check the WDW calendar and arrive on the last day of the Thanksgiving longer hours and get the specials done and enjoy the rest of your stay.

Apr 11th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Jon

Typo above - WDS should read WDW.

Apr 11th, 2002, 06:40 AM
kim

If July and August were my only time to go, then I wouldn't go. It's easy to get sun poisoning in the Florida summer. The heat will make you too miserable to enjoy anything. Take the kids out of school and go at any other time BUT summer.

Search this Thread