Search

Watergate Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watergate Hotel

My husband and I are planning a trip to Washington DC at the end of August and need a nice hotel within walking distance (if possible) of the sights and attractions. What is the Watergate like? Any other suggestions? Again, something nice with convenience.
Thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:51 PM
LN

The Watergate is really not in a convenient area for travellers (IMHO) If you do a search on Washington hotels you'll find that most enjoy the Dupont Circle area as there are a good selection of hotels and restaurants.

The Radisson is quite popular and the JWMarriott downtown is also popular. They're near the Metro and/or the Mall and should be good places to stay.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Ln is correct,Watergate location no good for walking. Try the Willard or Hay Adams.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. Also, is there any type of gambling in the area? Any hints on getting tickets for touring ahead of time? I was in DC twice but that was over 30 years ago!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Any comments on the Hotel Madera or the Wyndham City Center?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:57 PM

In the same category of botique hotel as Hotel Madera, you might consider Topaz or Hotel George -- Topaz near Dupont Circle metro, Hotel George near Union Station metro.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:26 PM
LN

Sorry packerfan

gambling is still taboo in DC - you'd have to go to Dover Delaware or Atlantic City NJ for that. Maryland has still not decided whether to have slots or not.

I believe the Madera is Dupont Circle area whereas City Center (Wyndham) I'm not certain of location.

Washington's Metro (subway) is really great - you can get to almost anywhere you'd like within a short time.

If you would like to be up near the Capitol, Supreme Court, and Union sTation then perhaps look into the Hyatt on Capitol Hill or othrs on Capitol Hill.

If you'd like to be near the down town Mall (Smithsonians, White House, Treasury, and Capitol) then somewhere like JWMarriott, Loews at L'Enfant Plaza, Harringtons (on 11th or 12th - old but nice)

There's not many hotels in G'town, primarily because there's really no Metro service there.

The area that seems to cover hotels and restaurants is Dupont Circle. And there you can bid on Priceline for whatever you're looking for.

Really hope you enjoy DC - it really is a unique city - I have never tired of it!!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:31 PM
LN

PS

If you'd like Capitol, White House, and/or Supreme Court tours please contact your senator or house of representative. They can get you right in and they're pretty good tours.

Most everything (all the Smithsonians in Washington are FREE!!!!) Where else can you find such magnificient works of art offered with a cost of NADA?!!!

Getting back to the wAtergate - it's been a well known residence primarily because of the Watergate Plumbers(Nixon's henchmen who broke into Democratic headquarter in the watergate and of course, Monica Lewinsky's residence while she was an Intern at the White House.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:34 AM

I don't think it would be that convenient to get to, but they do have gambling in both Virginia and Maryland, as well as West Virginia. In WV, Charles Town is known for that and is a few hour drive from DC area. They have a racetrack and slots. In Maryland, they have gambling at racetracks (Laurel is closest, and Pimlico in Balitmore). Maryland also allows nonprofits to run gambling events. There used to be a lot in PG county until they were shut down a few years ago for corruption reasons. I think they are still allowed in some other counties, although may be only bingo, not card games. Virginia has charitable gaming, also, but perhaps only bingo.

I don't think these are exactly glamorous events, though, although I like going to the racetrack occasionally.

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

I thank you all SO much! I haven't been to DC in 30 years so I'm really in the dark. Do we have to worry about safety at all? What attractions would you recommend? I truly enjoyed the Smithsonian last time I was there. Any other COOL stuff we could see or do? How about Mt. Vernon? How far is it? Is renting a car a good idea? What is the driving like there? I don't mind heavy traffic (been through Chicago & LA numerous times with no problem).
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Not another stupid is it safe question.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:26 PM
LN

One other poster said it well. If you take Washington DC and pretend that it's a clock with Takoma Park at 12 and the Potomac River at 6 you would NOT book a hotel in the area from 12 to 6. Anything in the area 6 to 12 (which is primarily the NW area) would be acceptable and SAFE.

Check your local congressional office and they'll get you tickets to the Capitol, White House, Supreme Court and a couple others.

Take a walking tour of the Mall and visit the Viet Nam Memorial, World War II Memorial, the Holocaust Museum, the Jefferson Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, the National Gallery of Art, , Treasury, Commerce, there's so much around the Mall it's hard to remember them all. Most of all - enjoy your visit.

When you find a hotel you like bid for it on Priceline - you'll probably get a great deal!!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:31 PM

Um, LN, Priceline doesn't work that way; you can't bid for a specific hotel.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:02 PM
LN

Hi again Anonymous

I know - I just thought that by crossing out the areas that she doesn't want - she might find that there are very few hotels in Foggy Bottom (where I believe Watergate is) and come out with a good deal. It was just a pleasant thought.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Mount Vernon is about 20 miles from D.C. You can rent a car to get there but it is also accessible by public transportation so, unless there are other things you want to do by car, it may not be worth it to rent just for this. All the Smithsonian museums, most monuments, etc. are most easily accessible by public transport. If you haven't been to D.C. in 30 years then some of the newer monuments I would think would be of interest -- I particularly like the FDR Memorial and the Korean War ones but there are others plus the Holocaust Museum which would be new to you. None of these require a car to get to.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

mgmargate: I'm SO glad you responded - such great feedback. I'm perplexed on why you would even respond OR contribute to anything on fodors.com if your attitude is, "what a STUPID question" - no such thing as far as I'm concerned.

For the rest of you, again, thanks SO much!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:27 AM

Packerfan: Your question falls right behind "What should I wear" on the ridiculous,I'm not ready for travel scale.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

mgmargate - So glad you're a travel snob! No need to "help" me out any further - I'm sure there are other travelers that may benefit from your wisdom
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi LN:
Where is the closet race track to DC (Dupont Circle)? How far is it? Is it horses or dogs?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 08:02 AM
LN

Oh dear

There's sulky races at Rosecroft Park in Oxon Hill Md (about 1/2 hour from Dupont C) and there's horse racing at Laurel MD (regular horse races - about this time you realize I'm not a racing fan BUT am trying) and there's also horse races at Charlestown WV which is probably 1 1/2 hrs away.

If you are looking for slot machines - then you can find that in Dover Delaware which would be about 2 hours east (and a fairly pleasant drive).

Outside of the horse tracks I'm not aware of any gambling YET in Maryland. I was under the impression that our current governor is attempting to bring in legalized gambling.

As to Washington DC I hope you have a great time as there's so much to see and do - you might not have an opportunity to get down to Mt Vernon. But then you can always come back and visit again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -