WAterfront Village Outer Banks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I've never been to the outrer banks, but want to take my wife. I'd like to go somewhere that is an old village on the water. A place where the old buildings of the village are on the water or right near it. Perhaps a place wehre fishing boats dock. I would like a place where there is a bed and breakfast nearby and where you can ride bikes all around. N o big chain stores or restaurants, but nicw mom and pop type of places.

Is there such a place?
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Perhaps going south when you come from mainland. We stayed north and it was boring. There seemed to be more happening down in southern part, tho I never got to see too much there
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Check out Ocracoke Island. It has everything you're looking for. Take the free ferry from Hatteras Village.

http://www.ocracoke-nc.com/

http://www.ocracokevillage.com/
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:07 PM

danielb has it right: Ocracoke is exactly what you're looking for. We loved it.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Yes to Ocracoke I guess. Your description does not really fit the rest of the Outer Banks. Most of the old villages (such as Duck, Corolla, Kitty Hawk etc.) were not ocean front (too many storms) and even those have been forever altered by so much development and chain stuff.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies...we are not necesarily looking for ocean front per se....but more of a bay type...Ocracoke looks sorta like it from the few photos we've seen.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:21 AM
cd

We visited the Outer Banks this summer. Ocracoke has grown since we first visited many years ago but of the Outer Banks would probably still fit your description the best.

As I read your description, I saw Mackinaw Island and remembered how we biked the whole island and how beautiful the water is as the bike trail is right beside it. Only bikes and horses allowed on the island. No cars.
I also saw Kelly's Island (Ohio) and how fun renting a golf cart is for your transportation. A small downtown area (NO high buildings) and the rest of the Island, water, boats and B&B's.

Sorry if you've been to these places, it's just what I saw while reading your post.