Wasilla, Alaska

Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Wasilla, Alaska

Curious about Sarah Palin's hometown. Not b/c its her home, but b/c a friend has a B&B there.
Do you know anything about Wasilla that is worth sharing on Fodors? Feel free to write about whatever comes to mind. I'm particularly interested in what people do for employment and enjoyment. (other than B&B work)
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:42 PM

You mean, other than The Meth Capital of Alaska?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_123996.html
Apr 4th, 2011, 01:19 AM

We traveled to Alaska before anyone knew who Sarah Palin was (a month or so prior to her selection as VP candidate - June 2008). We drove thru Wasilla on way to Denali, shopped for groceries and had lunch there - were advised that it was last real place where we could buy groceries. Shopped at some chain supermarket - could have been any other store in the US, except for the prices.

We noticed the largest concentration of places to buy alcohol or caffeine than we had experienced anywhere else. My 18 year old daughter remarked "if you had to live here you would need a lot of coffee and beer"
Apr 4th, 2011, 02:39 AM

Iditarod Museum is interesting. If snow conditions are good the Iditarod start is in Knik, next door to Wasilla. (The Anchorage start of the race is the ceremonial start.) There's a golf course and other amenities. Wasilla has grown a lot as property in Anchorage has gotten so expensive. Some people work on the slope. Can't remember if they work 2 weeks then have 2 weeks off. I assume the company flies them to and from work. Fishing and hunting! Keep in mind that for some people, that's a large part of their diet. Anyone with sled dogs who race start training as soon as it gets cold enough. Moose hunters fabricate "moose buggies" for hunting trips but there are others who like to get out and explore on ATVs, snowmobiles, modified 4x4s. Group camping on weekends is popular. Friends who moved to the area about 15 years ago had normal jobs: accounting and civil engineering. They both fished. Made wonderful smoked salmon.
Apr 4th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

"if you had to live here you would need a lot of coffee and beer"
I laughed !!!

The meth capital of the world kinda freaks me out a bit....

I'll keep my eyes open. There is a job there with the Red Cross, but it requires Red Cross background, which I don't have. Hmmm. Good info. Thanks guys and gals.
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM

According to a recent issue of Golf Digest, that course in Wasilla is one of the best in the state.
Apr 4th, 2011, 10:54 AM

LOL - "one of the best" golf courses in Alaska! THE best is probably not in the "Top 500 courses" list even in North America.
Apr 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM

I hear you can get a great photo of Russia from Wasilla.