Washington DC on July 4th

Jun 30th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Washington DC on July 4th

Hello we are 2 families with college age kids (but not all over 21) who will be in Washington for July 4th. We are staying at the Washington Marriott (points) and will arrive Saturday July 3 in the afternoon. One family has not been to DC before and we are thinking about visiting some of the monuments that afternoon. We are looking for a fun not formal place to eat Saturday night maybe something outside. On Sunday July 4th we have tickets for the Nationals game and then will take the metro back to watch the fireworks. We are looking for another restaurant that will accommodate us all -and that would be near a good spot for the fireworks. I heard that the National Cathedral is a good spot to view the fireworks and maybe not as crowded as some others. Has anyone been there for the fireworks? Or does anyone know of another viewing spot that's maybe a little off the beaten path? Thanks for any and all advise. And Happy Independence Day!
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM

The Cathedral is quite away from the Mall and I wonder how good the view really is. It will definitely be in the distance. There are a lot of trees at the Cathedral grounds, which could block views from the ground.

I still like the Mall the best. And I don't believe you need to be their hours ahead of time.
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Your hotel in the West End is relatively close to the fireworks. I would not head all the way out to the Cathedral. The Cathedral might be a possibility for someone who doesn't want to come all the way IN to town but you are already there.

I would actually play Sat. Dinner by ear. It will probably be a crazy day and you don't really know where you will be at dinnertime. There are many possible places on 7th st. NW north of the Mall and south of H st. Also on Penn. Ave between 10th & 13th. Really anywhere 3 or 4 blocks north of the Mall bettween 7th and 15th.
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will get a DC map and mark the areas you suggested
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:19 AM

This leaves you (still) with a decision to make as to where you can view the fireworks.

The big crush (and worth the effort for many) is going to be on the Mall itself somewhat near the base of the Washington Monument...people go there FOR THE DAY with their grills, kids, pets, tents, etc., and stay untilt eh fireworks kick off around 9:15 PM..it is definietly "ground zero" and the view from there, as you are lying down and looking up, is simply incomparable.

You can go there any time before the fireworks start and it is an easy walk from your hotel (I assume you are staying at the Marriott on Pa Ave..there will be people who will watch from that more or less "private" viewpoint up on the roof of the building, too.

As has been pointed out, there are all KINDS of eating venues within a few blocks of your hotel and they will probably be crowded before the fireworks...you might even consider eating afterward as you sit and watch the traffic JAM of people headed home.
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:30 AM

Dukey - The Washington Marriott is near 22nd & N NW, still an easy walk to the west end of the Mall and there are lots of restaurants near meath1's hotel.

meath1 - The dining zones I listed in my previous post above are all close to the Mall. For dining near your hotel, head north - particularly P st. between 22nd & 20th and Conn. Ave. between Dupont Circle & S St.