Reload this Page >

Washington DC Monuments at Night-Safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 1999, 04:53 AM
Paula

As I have reviewed the different messages throughout this forum, several people have recommended viewing the monuments and memorials at night when they are lit up. During our visit, we plan to stay in Virginia, leave our vehicle at the hotel and take the Metro into DC. I have checked into the Grey Line Evening Tour, but it is quite expensive (20-25/person). Would it be safe to stay in DC through the evening, view the monuments and then take the Metro back? Or is it better to take our own vehicle into DC one evening to view the monuments? Are there any other options?

Old May 28th, 1999, 05:21 AM
MJ

Hi! I live in VA and yes, it is safe to walk around in that part of DC and see the monuments. As with anywhere you go, you just have to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

The monuments are beautiful at night and worth the trip. I suggest having dinner and then taking a stroll around the sites.

As for transportation, you could drive to DC or take the Metro. Though, parking in DC can often be a problem. I've ridden the Metro home late from concerts and haven't had any problems. Do whichever you think you will feel most comfortable. Have fun!

Old May 28th, 1999, 05:22 AM
MJ

Hi! I live in VA and yes, it is safe to walk around in that part of DC and see the monuments. As with anywhere you go, you just have to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

The monuments are beautiful at night and worth the trip. I suggest having dinner and then taking a stroll around the sites.

As for transportation, you could drive to DC or take the Metro. Though, parking in DC can often be a problem. I've ridden the Metro home late from concerts and haven't had any problems. Do whichever you think you will feel most comfortable. Have fun!

Old May 28th, 1999, 05:40 AM
ilisa

Hi! I also live in the area and agree that you should definitely visit the monuments at night. While I always advocate taking the metro, there generally isn't a problem with traffic in the evening, so you can probably take your car into the city. Unlike other cities such as New York, much of the downtown area is deserted at night. Though, if you opt to take metro, you will be safe. I often have had to take it late in the evening and have had no problems. Don't worry. Just use common sense as you would in any other city. DC isn't the urban wasteland that some people make it out to be.

Old May 28th, 1999, 07:34 AM
Christie

As the others have said- YES! I personally think the monuments are MORE beautiful at night! I like the Tomb of the Unknowns at night- not so many crowds and not so hot, either.

There are two I would suggest you not visit at night: the Vietnam Memorial, simply because it is black granite and is difficult to get a good impression of at night; and visit the Marine Memorial (near Arlington) at sunset- that's when it is most beautiful! (This view was shown in A Few Good Men.)
Have fun!

Old May 28th, 1999, 10:20 AM
Neal Sanders

Paula, parking is actually easier in Washington after dark, so I wouldn't hesitate about driving in. Jefferson and Madison Drives (the two roads defining the Mall along which sit the principal museums) have a substantial number of spaces east of 14th St., as does Constitution Avenue west of 14th Street.

While no one above has said it, the area is very heavily patrolled by the National Park Service and Park Police. I cannot remember hearing or reading of an incident concerning tourists on the Mall in many years.

Old May 28th, 1999, 11:24 AM
lisa

I live here in DC too. If you are going to spend the day in the city without your car, you should just stay in the city and eat dinner here and then do your tour after dinner and take the metro back to your hotel. Metro runs until around midnight. You mentioned that the Grey Line evening tour is expensive -- have you checked the other tour companies (Tourmobile and Old Town Trolley)? I don't know if they have evening tours, but if they do, the good thing about the Tourmobile is that you can get on and off anywhere you want and reboard free on the next one when it comes around. Plus you can start the tour at any of the sights, wherever it is most convenient for you. Good luck and have a great time.

Old May 28th, 1999, 12:17 PM
chuckie d

Unless you want to become a "statistic" I strongly urge you to go during the day. D.C has really gone down hill the last couple of years, with the aggresive pan handlers, and crips.

Old May 28th, 1999, 12:46 PM
Neal Sanders

I don't know if Chuckie truly believes what he writes or if he is just some crank who like to scare people, but here is the truth, told in candor by someone who took pleasure in enjoying all that Washington had to offer for seven years, including hundreds of nighttime visits to the Mall area and downtown DC.

The part of Washington that you, as a tourist, will see is a glorious city, made possible by federal largesse. It comprises some of the world's best museums, public buildings and gardens; and the most intelligently designed and moving monuments anywhere in the world. Because these monuments, museums, gardens, and public buildings belong to the people (as opposed to belonging to the state), they are free.

Washington has essentially two industries: the federal government and tourism. Any concentration of tourists will bring people who prey on those who are naive or whose attention is directed elsewhere.

But I have traveled the world and I have never felt "safer" than I do in Washington D.C.at night. In large measure, that safety is the result of a very visible police presence. The Mall and the tourist precincts are patrolled by multiple agencies, each with a mission to ensure safety. This police presence is not oppressive, it is not intimidating, but it is noticeable.

So Paula, and whoever else reads this wondering if it is safe to go into Washington at night, do so with the same attitude you would take to the local mall. Lock your car door, don't leave your purse on a park bench, and don't take out a roll of hundred dollar bills and count them on the sidewalk.

Enjoy your visit!

Old May 28th, 1999, 01:54 PM
diane

Good post, Neal. I currently live in the burbs, but lived downtown a couple of times. We walked EVERYWHERE or rode bikes or took the bus. I've allowed both my kids to take metro as teens, and my college kid drives in often. The monuments at night are lovely. There are some wonderful restaurants near MCI Center, Dupont Circle,Adams Morgan (multi-ethnic choices from cheap to moderately expensive), Georgetown, etc. But you might want to try Old Ebbits Grill which isn't far from the White House. (BTW, you can't drive past the WH on Pennsylvania Avenue, it is totally pedestrian.) My favorites at night are the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson. The view from the steps of the Lincoln across the reflecting pool towards the Capitol is really lovely. And even the scaffolding around the under-refurbishing-Washington monument is specially lit at night, and looks quite "artsy."

Old May 28th, 1999, 02:29 PM
ilisa

Thank you, Neal, for saying what sorely needed to be said. And Chuckie, maybe I'm missing something, but what is a "crip"? My husband, who is part of one of the many law enforcement agencies in DC, didn't even know.

Old May 28th, 1999, 05:33 PM
Bridget

Ilisa, unforunately, I think Chuckie was referring to the handicap people.

Old May 28th, 1999, 06:44 PM
charlie

Actually Bridget I believe Crips refers to gang members made popular in "East L.A."and spreading to most large cities along with "the Bloods".--Just a little useless trivia.

Old May 28th, 1999, 09:57 PM
Donna

Here's what we did as an alternative to the Greyline tour while in Paris: I highlighted all the places I wanted to see at night on a map, then listed them on a piece of paper and handed them to a taxi driver. Twice we decided to stop for a while, then hailed another taxi. Much, much cheaper that the tour. Last time we were in DC, we found driving at night to be no problem, though. And, it's fairly easy to find your way around (especially if you map out your route ahead of time). So, you may want to consider driving back into the city after dark. Or, you could taxi around and get dropped off at the metro afterward.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 04:48 AM
Paula

Thanks so much for your advice re: DC at night!! It's reassuring to know that we'll be able to stay in the city, have dinner and then enjoy the monuments! Thanks, again!