Search

Washington DC -MARC or MetroB30

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC -MARC or MetroB30

Hi everyone,
I know this question has been answered many times before but it will be my first time in DC with my Dad (78 yr old) and I want to get it right. He gets very anxious when things aren't smooth. We are flying into BWI at 7:45 AM and our hotel is the Holiday Inn Capital, so which would be the best way to arrive? We are coming in on a Wednesday in April. We probably will take a taxi back to the airport because we are leaving late Friday night and will be easier. Also, any favorite restaurants a short taxi ride away? He is pretty particular, but enjoys Italian, Chinese and seafood. Thanks in advance. Jayne
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:15 PM

You will encounter fewer hassles and transfers with the B30; it leaves from right outside the terminal and takes you to the Greenbelt Metro station.

The B30 costs $3 each and you pay in dollar bills that you feed into the fare machine (like on a vending machine).

The B30 runs every 40 minutes, 7 days per week; you can check the exact times at www.wmata.com. There are benches in the waiting shelter, so this is what I would recommend, it would avoid the shuttle transfer to the train and any anxiousness about the train schedule.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response anonymous.
Now, another question, what do we do once
we get to the Greenbelt Metro Station? I'm pretty green myself! hehe, sorry, I'm tired.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Jayneann -

What station is that Holiday Inn near? Union Station??

Normally I would say figure out which one suits your arrival the best. Here's some pros and cons:

Bus: picks up directly at Door #3 on lower level (follow signs for light rail and watch for door #3 and see the bus shelters outside to your left) It drops you off right at the front of the Greenbelt Metro. You'll have to change stations. If going to Union Station, change to redline at Ft Totten. Maybe take taxi at Union Sta to hotel?

MARC: Bus to BWI picks up at SEVERAL locations along baggage level, not just Door #3

Transfer to MARC (hope elevator works!) to Union station. Taxi to hotel.

Less changes if u use MARC. But MARC trains often not on time in AM, yet not too far off schedule ... Amtrak seems to get track priority. So B30 does seem more reliable. If you are going to a different station than Union, then that pushes choice of B30 up a notch yet.

I think there are enough evening trains to use MARC for return. I'm always afraid I'll get to Greenbelt to find a crowd of people & a 40 minte wait for the next bus, even tho it's never happened. Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying rb! The Holiday Inn Capital is one block from L'Enfant Metro
Station. What do you think?
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Jayneann - you purchase a ticket for each of you from vending machines. They will take cash, coin, and some will take credit cards. As I'm not sure if your dad qualifies for Sr discount, I'm going to give price for NOT having it.

You will need either
2 FARECARDS with at least the $$ credit on them to cover your fare ($3.10, maybe less)

or

if you'll be using the Metro a few times a day, consider getting 2 of the the $6.50 1-DAY PASSES. The hitch on those are only if it's after 9:30 when you enter the Metro. Insert your cards into the turnstiles when you enter the Metro, AND AGAIN WHEN YOU EXIT AT ARCHIVES STATION.

Try this website:
http://rideguide.wmata.com

Use "from BWI" and "to HOLIDAY INN-CAPITOL" as your search criteria

I used getting on bus at 8:20am, arrive at Greenbelt 8:52, get on greenline 8:58 as my criteria. Go to the website to get more accurate info for your specific times. You can email me .. there is no X in my real address, which you can figure out from my name ... I won't write it here because of those spam sniffers.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:55 PM

If you're taking the Metro to the L'Enfant Plaza stop, then that's another plus for the B30 and Greenbelt (rather than MARC to Uniont Station), since both stations are on the Metro's Green Line.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:55 PM

I think you want to travel to L'Enfant Plaza then. The hotels change their names, and I was using the Hotel name, rather than address, when I checked your fare.

www.wmata.com will answer questions about your Dad's eligibility for Sr fares ... if u will be using Metro a lot it might be worthwhile.

Also, you can purchase passes or farecards in advance thru their website too. With a farecard, the value on it does not expire, so if you will not use Metro enough to use the 1 day passes, you still might want to put $10 on each farecard so you don't spend all your time at the machines when you enter a station. If you need more credit on it, you just use the machines to "charge" them up ... actually it takes your old card + money, and issues a new one.

I've used MARC, B30, & Metro a lot, so please contact me if I can help.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:03 PM

Since you'll only be there Wed through Friday, the suggestion for getting two $10 Metro farecards makes sense. Every station ticket booth posts the fares (both peak and off-peak) to all the other stations, so if your fare card gets too low you can feed it into the ticket-buying machine and use it as credit towards a new one.

Taxis in DC are reasonable; don't hesitate to use them for destinations that are not well-served by the Metro (that's most memorials and monuments, including the new WWII) in order to save both time and energy.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

These quick replies are wonderful!!! Now that I have good information, taking the B30 and Greenbelt is the way we'll go. Many, many thanks!
Jayne
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 07:59 AM

You also asked about restaurants. A DC institution near your hotel is the Market Inn. It specializes in seafood, which I must warn is only of average quality. But it used to (and I hope still does) have a wonderful bar/lounge area which a small jazz combo playing standards. I used to take my parents there when in town occasionally, so if that type of thing appeals to you, check out whether they're still doing music.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks RuthMc! Sounds like a place my Dad might like. I'll check it out.
Jayne
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:39 AM

For restaurants, which are few and far between on the south side of the Mall, take a taxi or the Green or Yellow line from L'Enfant to Gallery Place. You'll find dozens of choices on and around 7th Street NW beween E and H.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:30 PM

I am interested in this method of transporation from BWI to DC. We are staying near the Rosslyn metro station. We have flown into BWI before and have always used the Super Shuttle, but this is definitely a lot less expensive and maybe just as quick. My concern is how difficult it it to use the bus and metro with luggage? We each have a large piece on rollers and a carry-on.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:50 PM

Just how large is it, Mim59? Well, if there are 2 of you, and only those two pieces, I don't think you'll have much problem. The Greenbelt Metro station is an "above ground" station - you get off the bus, go thru the turnstile, up one flight to the train. Since you're at the train's originating station, there's lots of room to find a place for your bags (usually more room at the first & last car)

Change at L'Enfant to Orange or Blue and you're there at Rosslyn. Or even catching a taxi from DC must be cheaper than the Supershuttle from BWI to Rosslyn.

On a weekday you have another option. Take the MARC from BWI to NewCarrollton, then get on the Orange line there -- again the train is at the start of its trip to Rosslyn. It will take longer than continueing to Union Station, but saves having to do the Red to Blue/Orange transfer from there. BTW if you use Metro/B30 on your return, get a transfer pass at Rosslyn (or your transfer point) and the busfare will be $2.10
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 03:44 AM

As rb said. I can only add that the B30 bus is equipped with luggage storage areas, and that the "flight up" at the Greenbelt station is an escalator.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:22 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. We are arriving at BWI early on Sunday afternoon. I don't think MARC runs on Sunday. My daughter and I each have a 27" piece of luggage on rollers. We also will each have a carry-on. I wasn't sure if there would be room for our luggage on the bus. Glad to hear they have luggage racks. We have used the Metro before so are familiar with it. Hopefully the transfer at L-Enfant won't be too bad with our luggage. Perhaps Sunday won't be as crowded

We will be going back to the airport around 6:00 on Wednesday evening. Would it be easier to go back on the Metro and bus or use MARC?

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:04 AM

Those suitcases are monsters! MARC would involve the Metro, too -- to get to Union Station. And then there's a trak from the subway to the train platforms, and a shuttle from the train to BWI, whereas the B30 stops at the Metro station doorway and at the BWI terminal. Maybe you should check some of the past threads on traveling light?
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:04 AM

I sure wouldn't take those suitcases on the Metro at 6 pm on a weekday--rush hour, you know. The trains are crowded and you'll not be very popular. If you're going to bring them and not something, my suggestion would be to take a cab to Union Station and then either MARC or Amtrak to BWI.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:16 AM

Wouldn't the huge suitcases be just as unpopular on MARC, which is mostly for commuters? In some cities, rush hour is ending by 6 PM, I'm not sure about DC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -