Washington DC luxury hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to spend 4 nights in Washington DC. to see the monuments, art galleries, Smithsonian and other tourist sights. We are trying to decide between two luxury hotels - the Ritz ("downtown", not Georgetown) and the Mandarin.

Does anyone have any opinions on either? Any tips on what not to miss? We will not have a car, but are fine with the subway or cabs.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 07:38 AM

Both are kind of out of the way. Do a mapquest and see where both are located. The Ritz is at around 22nd and M and the Mandarin is in SW...though close enough to walk to the sites.

I would look at the Hay Adam which is right across from the White House and there is a hotel at 16th and K which is the St. Regis. It closed last year for a complete renovation and I thought I heard it was to open back up soon. I would consider both of these luxury hotels and they are more centrally located to the sites.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:21 AM

The Ritz hands down because of the neighborhood (upscale), facility (new) and services. I would not stay in the SW waterfront area for the same reason. The Ritz is about five blocks to either the Foggy Bottom or Dupont subway stops and within walking distance of Georgetown, so no problem getting to monuments/museums. With four days, you'll be able to spend some time at many of the top sights -- the Capitol, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, Archives, Smithsonian museums, Holocaust Museum, Spy Museum, Jefferson, Lincoln, Washington, WWII, Vietnam and FDR memorials, Arlington Cemetery, Mt. Vernon, Georgetown, etc. There are lots of additional options such as the National Zoo, Washington National Cathedral (one of my favorite places), Old Town Alexandria, Potomac River cruises, etc.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:24 AM

P.S. I also prefer the Ritz to the Hay Adams or St. Regis, although both of those hotels are in terrific locations.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM

I agree with denice. They're both not close to the sights you list, but the Mandarin is closer. I'd still take a cab at night. The pictures on the Mandarin are beautiful and I know people love it.

I'd also consider the Willard and the Hotel Monaco, for their more central, walkable (and Metro-accessible) locations.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:40 AM

I completely forgot about the Willard which is an Intercontinental Hotel. I would take that one hands down above the Ritz or Mandarin. It has a perfect location and there are great new restaurants on Pennsylvania within walking distance. The Source which is Wolfgang Pucks new place, Central which is Michel Richards new place...both are excellet.

The Ritz is located in a business/hotel area....not residental. I would not consider the location as upscale as there is nothing there except for business and hotels..Fairmont/Hyatt/Westin... for the most part. The nearest area of any restaurants, galleries, etc would be Dupont Circle which is about 3 blocks North.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

We've narrowed it down to the Ritz and Mandarin because we prefer contemporary luxury hotels with great fitness centres.

In terms of the sights, I was hoping to get some personal preferences (Corcoran vs Freer vs Hirshhorn vs ...) and a feel for some of the less well known or publicized places. All the biggies have lots of info, but there is way too much to see in 4 days without burnout.

We'll be there Jan 19 to 22. Too bad we missed the Turner show at the National Gallery.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:54 AM

Denice -- Perhaps you are not familiar with the part of DC in which the Ritz is located, however, the Ritz itself has a number of very pricey (including 7 figure)condos and there are numerous townhomes and apartments in the area. One of my best friends owns a townhouse two blocks away, and the Dupont Circle area and West End areas have numerous very expensive residences. The SW waterfront area has for many years been a dodgy unsafe area, although it has been rehabbed in the last few years. As for the Willard, it is a lovely hotel in a terrific location but not one of those for which the OP requested an opinion.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:56 AM

If I had to choose between your two suggestions, I'd stand behind the Oriental, for proximity to tourist sights. But you're not near any restaurants, so you'll need a cab every night.

I'd at least visit the Hotel Monaco website. It is contemporary, luxury with a full gym. It is very near the Metro, numerous great restaurants and the Mall, the Spy Museum, and the National Gallery. Penn Quarter is better than both Foggy Bottom and the SW waterfront.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:26 AM

The Mandarin is a great hotel - I've done meetings there several times. The rooms are beautiful and the food/service impeccable. But - it could be closer to the sights. I agree with the Hay Adams as a more central location.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:28 AM
dmlove

The Hay Adams is very nice, but does not fit the OP's requirement of being "contemporary" -- it's more old-fashioned luxury.

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:33 AM
TahitiTams

Love Love Love the Willard!

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:48 AM

Based on the OP's second post and why she is looking at those 2 I would certainly go with the Mandarin. It also has one of the best hotels in the city.

Sites...I like the Buidling Museum in the Penn Quarter and the Sackler Museum on the Mall. They both can have interesting traveling exhibits.

Look at www.washingtonpost.com on Friday for the weekend edition section which lists the things going on that week/weekend and usually the next 1 or 2 weekends. They list what exhibits are closing, opening, etc.

Gabriele - I am very familiar with that part of DC. I have lived here for 7 years. The Ritz does have condos but they had a very tough time sellling them because of the location of the hotel, the gas station right beside it and the "mold" problems a few years back though that has been addressed. I just don't consider that part of town upscale and I would not consider where the Mandarin is located upscale either.

Different note..Regarding the gas staion...we just walked past there yesterday on our way to G'town and it looks as if they are actually buidling a building (hotel or condos) that will have the gas staion attached to it... I don't know how the builders got that past the Planning Board but it is interesting.

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM

I am not familiar with the Mandarin but can speak to the location of and fitness centre at the Ritz. I have been a member at the Sports Club/LA at the Ritz for about a year and have been very pleased with the facility. There are ample machines (almost all have personal TVs), and the classes are varied and great. They also just refurbished the locker rooms and made other improvements.

As others have mentioned the Ritz is a short, safe walk (approx. 8 minutes - I walk it almost daily to get to the gym) to the Dupont Circle metro (red line), with numerous restaurants, bars etc. nearby.

Again, I can't compare with the Mandarin as I've not yet been there, but I would think the Ritz would satisfy your criteria nicely.

P.S. - the building going up across from the Ritz and next to the gas station as someone mentioned is going to be upscale condos ($800k-$4 million) - http://22west-dc.com.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM

Building Museum is good, as is the National Portrait Gallery and Museum of American Art, reopened in the past year or so after an extensive renovation. I like contemporary art, so the Corcoran and Hirshhorn are two of my favorites. Also check out the National Museum of Women in the Arts. A great hidden treasure in DC is Hillwood, the former home/estate of Marjorie Merriweather Post. You would need to take a cab.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Gabriele and Denice7
Excuse my ignorance, but what does OP stand for?

If it's Obstinate Person, it's amazing how perceptive you both are.

For what it's worth, if the hotel's dining room is great, or even really good, we are happy eating every night early in the hotel, especially in winter (no winter boots). Although that may sound boring to some, the familiarity that comes from eating in a great dining room for 3 or 4 nights can outweigh the anticipation of a new experience in our opinion.

Service generally improves (we're excellent tippers and recognize when someone has gone out of their way for us) and you can also request dishes that are not on the menu once you find the kitchen's strong points.

We generally go for a nice long (1 to 2 hour min) walk after dinner.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:06 AM

Don't be paranoid, OP means original poster.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM

Both hotels have wonderful, wonderful restaurants. The Ritz just opened their restaurant a month or 2 ago. It is called West End Bistro and the chef is Eric Lipert (sp) from New York. It is not the same fare as his NY restaurant but more downscale.

Mandarin has CityZen which has been around since since for a couple of years and is fantastic.

It is tough to get a reservation for the weekend but I would assume as a guest of the hotel it should be easier.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Wyatt92
I'm definitely not paranoid. My feeble attempt at humour.

Thanks all for the info. This is helping a lot.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:55 AM

Ruff has some good suggestions for museums (Portrait Gallery, American Art, Building Museum)--and with this in mind, the Hotel Monaco might be a nice option. It's near all of these museums as well as much more--great resturants (Zola, Poste, Zatinya, Proof, Jaleo, and more) within a few-block radius. Major subway station 1/2 block away. Right in the middle of one of DC's most vibrant, redeveloped neighborhoods. Another boutique hotel option is the Hotel Palomar in Dupont Circle, another neighborhood that has a lot of good restaurants, museums, shopping, etc. Ditto what others have said about the Mandarin--it's nice but it's in a tough location--near the highway, not Metro-accessible, etc. And the Ritz downtown is not in the most lively location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -