Washington DC hotels near Metro

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking grandchildren on 4 day trip to DC in late April. Thinking a hotel close to a metro station might be the best bet for our itinerary as well as one with reasonable shuttle service from Ronald Reagan. Saw an Embassy Suites in Alexandria on previous posts but no shuttle service there.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 07:11 AM

Nobody can help you without a nightly budget in USDs. That is an expensive time of year. tons of thread on hotels.

I would start at orbitz or similar sites to see what the price ranges are and narrow it down.

There are a couple of other embassy suites in DC which you can find the locations of by doing to the embassy suites website.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 07:12 AM

ps I don't think many hotels have shuttle service in the DC area. Not really necessary with our cab and Metro system
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
makamisa, There are at least a couple of hotels offering airport shuttle service in Crystal City which is virtually next door to Reagan National. For ambiance, that wouldn't be my first choice location though. Why not book with one of the airport shuttle services or take the metro to your hotel?

Most hotels do offer shuttle service to the nearest metro station if they're not next door to one (like the Embassy Suites in Alex is).

Don't eliminate the possibility of staying downtown where there are suites hotels that might be comparable to the Embassy if that's your budget range.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM

There are many, many hotels near Metro stations all over the area. Please do give an approximate budget, and any other preferences you may have, so we can try to help.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Sorry , Sorry, Sorry,- meant to put in a budget. Would like to limit to around $200. per night but could go higher. With kids, embassy suite kind of place would be nice with micor and fridge.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM

The dtwn Embassy Suites are above your price range. There are three others about the same distance from the mall. Alexandria is about $150, the one in Arlington about $115 (close to airport but charmless area). The one at Chevy Chase Circle, right on the metro in a fancy area (but a haul from the airport) is about $185.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM

i've stayed at the embassy suites in alexandria. it's nice. also, it's right next to the blue line, which takes you directly to Ronald Reagan. so you may want to hop on the metro instead of taking a shuttle bus to/from the airport.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed at the Embassy Suites near George Washington University Medical Center and the Metro was only a few blocks away.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 02:41 PM

I understand the request to be more comfortable w/kids in an Embassey Suites. Below is a cut & paste directly from Embassey Suites in Crystal City/Arlington/Pentagon City, which would be my high recommendation.

Description of Hotel Location
Our Arlington hotel is just minutes from all the attractions of downtown Washington D.C., including The White House, Smithsonian Museums, Arlington Cemetery, the Pentagon and a variety of upscale shopping malls, such as Pentagon City Mall.

We offer our guests a complimentary shuttle to Ronald Regan National Airport and the Pentagon City Metro Station.... more

The Pentagon City Mall is upscale, has a nice food court in the basement, and the Pentagon City Metro stop is inside the Mall right next to the Food Court. In addition this is a nice safe neighboorhood for walking... and there is a Costco like store across the street from the Mall. Here is a link tot he other Malls & description of the area.
http://www.commuterpage.com/ART/villages/pentcity2.htm
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all-would have gone with the Embassy suites in Crystal City, but they are undergoing renovation- always a concern! With all the advice including not to worry about shuttle access, will probably end up at Hilton Garden INn-pretty good reviews and family friendly. Will let everyone know how this pans out.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:04 PM

I am planning a spring break trip in March. I am bit confused. Fly into Washington National....what is the best rec for hotel? Budget around $200 a night....family of 3..one teen. Willing to take shuttle from airport.

*Top priority is a good area to base sightseeing from...
*Close to metro
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:21 PM

"what is the best rec for hotel?"

Downtown, Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter - in DC
Crystal City, Rosslyn - in VA
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Travelzoo.com has a $129 (four to a room) per night price for the Omni Shoreham near DuPont Circle for April 21-28. Tripadvisor.com shows very good reviews.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Thank you, big help!
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Joebear: The Shoreham is NOT very near Dupont Cir, however it is adjacent to the zoo metro stop "Woodley Park". It is a megaplex used for conventions, and near embassies and Rock Creek. It looked like a big bother to me.

I just stayed at the Embassy Suites on 22nd which was quite good but $250. Nearby, and closer to the Dupont Circle metro, is the neat Hotel Palomar http://www.hotelpalomar-dc.com/ which has a rack rate of $150 and is VERY nice. Safe area with lots of bistros at the edge of downtown and fancy neighborhoods. Could walk to Georgetown and the White House from there.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM

Whoops, the Palomar rate jumps to $450 in March!
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 06:18 AM

The Shoreham hosts conventions because it is large, but it is also a Washington institution and is a very fine hotel. There are lots of good restaurants within a couple of blocks of the hotel, and the Woodley Park metro stop is right there. For $129, you are not going to do better in the spring in DC.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 09:49 AM

check www.hotwire.com as many times the embassy suites comes up ( it will have a suite icon) with free breakfast. See www.betterbidding.com to help decipher the hotels offered at hotwire.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 10:40 PM

I'm not sure if you realize that the Metro's Yellow and Blue lines stop AT RonaldReagan International. If the kids are big enough to carry their own bags, then any Metro stop with nearby hotel may be worth looking at.

See
http://stationmasters.com/
for description of each Metro station, nearby hotels, and even the location of escalators and elevators.

MANY of the Arlington hotels have shuttles to the airport and to Metro stations, but many of them are not close enough to walk. Look at hotels near the Rosslyn metro station that will be less expensive than DC hotels, but you will be the closest stop to DC itself - and on a nicer day can even walk over to Georgetown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -