washington dc...grand hyatt questions

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
washington dc...grand hyatt questions

I have made reservations for the Grand Hyatt in Washington DC for April. I am wondering if it is worth the money to stay in the Regency Club there. Could anyone tell me more about there continental breakfast and appetizers offered in the evening. It would cost nearly $40 more a day to stay there compared to a regular room. Since I am traveling with my older Mom there it might be convenient. Has anyone tried the Regency Club lately?
I guess my other question would be is there a good bakery/coffee place very near that we would enjoy? Thanks.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:37 AM
TravelLaughter

You are aware, I assume, that the old convention center across the street is being demolished all spring, thus the area is a bit dusty and noisy. Hyatt is normally a fine place to stay.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:40 AM

I don't know about the Regency Club but we did stay at the Hyatt a few years ago and loved it. Very convenient to trains and sights.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

No, I was not aware of the demolishing of the old convention center....maybe that is why there are lower rates!!Thank you for the information...good to know!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:09 AM

My husband mentioned that the old convention center has already been demolished (his office faces the old site). I'm certain that something will be built in its place, however, so there will still be construction going on in April. Anyways, the Grand Hyatt is in a pretty good location. There is an Au Bon Pain at 10th and Pennsylvania (around 3 blocks south) that has great pastries, sandwiches, soup etc.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:14 AM

Try Reeves Bakery on G St. and 13th I believe. Great pastries, cupcakes, pies, etc.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:56 AM
TravelLaughter

Actually only a portion, along 10th, is being demolished, but more work will be done along H across from the front door of Hyatt. It's going to be a major construction zone for months according to associates who flew into DC recently and attended a meeting at Hyatt.

Regarding convenience to sights, and ALL the subways lines, as I recall, you'd be better off at the Willard or JW Marriott on Pa. Ave. - right across the street from the Mall, major museums, the White House, etc. - and major restaurants along the avenue. Hyatt is of course very close to MCI, if you're visitng for events, and the arch in Chinatown. There is a subway line next door, but this is not the most scenic area of the city.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM

My public service announcement for today:
travellaughter = travelplans = blacktie = leone = sobetraveler = no personal experience, most advice based upon his Fodors grudges = ignore.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM

As I recall from previous stays, the Grand Hyatt has a snack shop off the lobby that serves coffee and bakery items in the morning in a cafeteria style.

I stayed on the Regency Club floor once at this Hyatt. I don't recall there being any measurable difference in the rooms, so you have to decide whether you'll partake enough food and whether the convenience factor is worth it for you.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:53 PM

The Grand Hyatt is near the Penn Quarter, which is the up and coming area of town, filled with good restaurants. By April, the demolished end of the convention center should be a parking lot (seriously--they don't have any new building plans for the site, so it will be a parking lot for the time being), but you won't escape construction all around that area--and it practically all other parts of town.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

It's good to know about the construction. Do you need to go through this area to get to restaurants or other popular sites?
Would the Marriott Metro be any different as far as the construction area goes? I'm also wondering about the Hamilton Crown Plaza and it's location. I haven't been to DC for years-and just can't remember the areas well. Thanks.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:28 AM

While the construction is directly across the street from the main entrance, it's fenced off and not that big of a deal now.

It's not dusty or noisy at this point, although obviously it could change. The Marriott MC is definitely unaffected. It is closer to several nice dining spot that the Hyatt, but a block or so farther to the Penn Quarter eateries. I'd give the Marriott a slight edge on location these days -- as for Marriott vs Hyatt in general . . . that's a lot of personal taste.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Marriott Metro Center has the added advantage of being on the same block as the entrance to the metro station, which serves four different Metro lines -- very handy.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 07:45 AM

true, but that's hardly an edge over the Hyatt, which has its own Metro Center entrance . . . .
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 08:11 AM
TravelLaughter

Hyatt is fine as are Marriott and Willard, but the major construction is a problem for Hyatt and the streets around it, and as far as location to major areas is concerned, one only need consult a map of downtown DC to see the advantages of Pa. Avenue.

For restaurants, the actual new development is along Pa. Ave from 14th down to 7th, and up 7th for two blocks. Hyatt is neither closer nor farther.

The Metro entrance at Hyatt is not in the best location; other posters' remarks about Metro should be heeded.

Nonetheless, Hyatt is normally a very nice hotel.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Joan, you nailed it on travellaughter.

His/her advice is way off.

When I saw this post, I walked out the door of my office. It faces the Marriott. I walked down the street to the Hyatt -- as I do several times a week for lunch (usually Chinatown).

There is -- and hasn't been -- any problem with the roads near the Hyatt. The construction, which isn't active near the Hyatt right now, is in one fenced-in block across the street. At this time there is no extra noise or dust. There's also another entrance away from convention center.

Then I walked down to double check the Metro Center connection. While it's just a few steps closer than Marriott Metro Center's access, it's all indoors -- a good thing in the rain, snow or steam.

After grabbing lunch, I walked down 7th to Pennsylvania. Of course, the one side of street is almost entirely federal or district buildings. There's little if anything new on the other side of Pennsylvania.

Most of the Penn Quarter development -- including Zaytinya, the star of the boom -- is unquestionably closer to the Hyatt than any hotel on Pennsylvania.

Either Marriott MC or the Hyatt are fine. We use the Marriott for out-of-town business visitors. The Hyatt appears to have more amenities.

If you do choose the Marriott there's a nice coffee place Cosi on the same block. Reeves is good as well. That's where we buy special-occasion cakes.

If you have concerns about the Hyatt, I'd consider the conceirge level at the Metro Center Marriott.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:46 AM
TravelLaughter

Suggest laurelee obtain a DC Zagats and DC Access guide, and judge for herself. Look at restaurants, their locations, distances and streets you'd use to major sites, all subway lines and their entrances, and any other data pertinent to convenience as you see the city each day. Apparently different people may walk the streets and see different things, such as cranes, but be that as it may, Hyatt is normally a fine hotel. And yes, they have a cute coffee shop, if that's a deciding factor. Anyway, have a nice trip and enjoy DC, a very special city.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM
TravelLaughter

By the way, if one were to walk from Marriott to Hyatt and Chinetown on H Street, how does one walk "down" the street ... I believe the saleint term would be "up" given their elevated locations. Oh, just a bit of the local data for those mired in this fascinating discussion, LOL. That is it for me. Have a nice day all.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 12:17 PM

repete, the troll has a personal grudge against Hyatts so we know not to listen to anything he has to say in that regard.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 12:37 PM
TravelLaughter

Oh well, once again then, Hyatt is a very fine hotel! A fine, fine hotel, and we use them frequently, at every opportunity, especially for conferences and when bringing officials into town. Now, since the Fodors code asks us to aid travellers, and in this instance, Laurelee posts she is travelling with her older MOM, I'd not live up to that code if I failed to observe Marriott and Willard will be more convenient, for reasons stated by several posters. Zagats and Access Guide will clarify why, and will serve as excellent tools as you plan your trip. Every good wish to Laurelee and her MOM for a safe and happy journey to a special city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -