Reload this Page >

Washington DC for Couples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Mark

My wife and I will be in DC for 4 days in May. We are both 29 and she went to college there so we've seen the standard museums and monuments already(and we'll visit them again because they are great!) but I am also looking for some other things to do - perhaps activities away from kids & families. Any suggestions? Our hotel is near the White House. Thanks!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 02:56 PM
lori

My husband and I used to love to stroll around Old Town Alexandria or Georgetown. YOu could rent a car and drive to Annapolis or to Fredricksburg--have lunch in town and then see the battlefields.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Anna

Depending on where your wife went to school, she may already have done many of my suggestions.

Go to Dumbarton Oaks (a garden/park) in Georgetown. It's a great place just to roam around and have a picnic. Very peaceful and beautiful.

Have a drink at the Hotel Washington. They have a rooftop bar/restaurant. The views are amazing at night.

Go to the 9:30 Club in D.C.; the Birchmere in Alexandria, Virginia; or the State Theatre in Falls Church, Va., for live music. Check www.washingtonpost.com for the schedules.

Visit Haines Point (during the day) in D.C. to see "The Awakening" statue.

Go to Tony & Joe's at Washington Harbor for drinks.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Chris

See the Phillips Collection and have a bite at Teaism nearby. And YES to everything in the post directly above this one!!

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Harriett

If you enjoy magnificent homes of historical significance, I'd suggest Marjorie Merriweather Post's home, "Hillwood." Someplace I would never have gone except someone recommended it to a friend with whom I was traveling. Absolutely intriguing . . . lots of Russian early-century artifacts, beautiful gardens. I saw it about 5 yrs ago, and it's since closed for renovation, but was supposed to reopen last year. No idea of website, but a lovely place (and relatively unknown, apparently) for an afternoon - and a great cafe when I went before.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Barbara

The Lincolm Memorial is great late at night - not too many people at that time and it's safe (1 am). Climb to the top for a great view!

Old Town is always fun with great restaurants (Murphy's Irish Pub for reasonable prices and local entertainment) and a stroll along the Potomac. The Torpedo Factory is an interesting place with lots of local artists. Lots of other art galleries there too.

Write (or email) your congressman/senators for free White House or Senate tickets (1-month advance notice)

Monticello is an interesting side trip. It's pretty there (foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains).